1/2 or 3/4 ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #1

Trailer: TBD
1/2 or 3/4 ?

We went shopping today for a new tow vehicle for towing our 21
We like the price and ride quality of the 1/2 ton trucks better
We like the capabilities and towing / payload capacity of the 3/4 ton trucks better
We will go with a V8 gas engine if we go with the 1/2 ton truck
If we go with a 3/4 ton then the gas or diesel decision will have to be made .
Our current V8 , 1/2 ton truck is adequate but it’s just time to upgrade to a new truck
We are not brand loyal so Ford , Chevy or Ram is fine with us .
Any thoughts or opinions or recommendations

Old 03-28-2019, 03:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
If you think the 1/2 is enough and it rides better then why is it a question? Unless you think you have a need for the extra payload why sacrifice the ride for it just to have it in reserve?

I think you should take a hard look at the 2019 RAM 1500 and report back in detail on how it compares to the F-150, as a service to the forum!

MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
If you think the 1/2 is enough and it rides better then why is it a question? Unless you think you have a need for the extra payload why sacrifice the ride for it just to have it in reserve?

I think you should take a hard look at the 2019 RAM 1500 and report back in detail on how it compares to the F-150, as a service to the forum!
We are at or over our payload limit of our current 1/2 ton Ram Bughorn truck The 3/4 ton would allow us to pack along what we want without having to take something out every time we put something in like we do now . I am tired of constantly worrying about my payload but to alleviate that worry comes at a cost
Thank you for your post !!
Old 03-28-2019, 03:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We are at or over our payload limit of our current 1/2 ton Ram truck The 3/4 ton would allow us to pack along what we want without having to take something out every time we put something in like we do now . I am tired of constantly worrying about my payload but to alleviate that worry comes at a cost
Depending on how high a trim level you want, a Big Horn level Ram can have a pretty decent payload, ours has 1804. And although it's not one of the fancier trim levels, it is a really, really nice truck, the fit, finish and materials of the interior are superb and the ride quality is outstanding.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We are at or over our payload limit of our current 1/2 ton Ram truck The 3/4 ton would allow us to pack along what we want without having to take something out every time we put something in like we do now . I am tired of constantly worrying about my payload but to alleviate that worry comes at a cost
Ok, so adequate but not necessarily "enough". I think the new Rams and F-150s can be configured to get you close to 1900+ lbs of payload. I spent a lot of time looking at the yellow stickers at the Ford lots to get a good understanding of how the options played into the available payload. The sales people seem to be oblivious to the true payload, and it changes with options.

We pack heavy and for a 10 day trip down south last fall we only had 110 lbs available in our 2019 Supercab 4x4 XLT. No water in the escape so our pin was a little heavier than previous trips.

Edit: I should mention it was cold, even in Alabama so we had the full spectrum of clothes including jeans and winter coats.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:29 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Steve, my Ram 1500 yellow stick says 1480# and with 2 people and 2 dogs and extra spare & jack leaves around 900# for stuff of which 500# will go into the trailer but that comes back with tongue weight, so I still have around 400# to play with. there is about 4x6' floor area left. Other than a bike and mats I'm still 300# underweight, but approaching full in area. I love the Ram 1500 for comfort and agility and with the 8 sp and 3:21 rear, pretty good mileage. Seems like anything bigger will be heavier and your gas will suffer, both towing and unhitched.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I just recently got a 2019 Silverado RST with the tow packages and 5.3L V8 (2WD). The payload is right at 2,000 lbs. Drives great, getting 18-19 mpg around town with HWY driving included. This is a much improved truck over the 2012 I had. I haven't towed long distances yet but from my limited towing to date I have been very pleased.

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Steve, my Ram 1500 yellow stick says 1480# and with 2 people and 2 dogs and extra spare & jack leaves around 900# for stuff of which 500# will go into the trailer but that comes back with tongue weight, so I still have around 400# to play with. there is about 4x6' floor area left. Other than a bike and mats I'm still 300# underweight, but approaching full in area. I love the Ram 1500 for comfort and agility and with the 8 sp and 3:21 rear, pretty good mileage. Seems like anything bigger will be heavier and your gas will suffer, both towing and unhitched.
My payload is 1300 lbs so about 200 lbs less than yours . I have the 3.92 rear end and like it for towing . I wish Ram had a 4.10 rear end but
Sorry to read about Franklin
Old 03-28-2019, 06:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If payload is a concern, I don't think examples from a few years ago mean much, as Ford, GM, and FCA have all been updating their trucks and typically increasing payloads. Some time with the online information would be worthwhile, keeping in mind that the curb weights which they publish are for base trim and no options.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
I have moved from an F-250 crewcab gas, 2600# payload, to Chevy 2500 HD crew cab diesel with just under 2200# payload. Both trucks have plenty of payload for our 5.0 TA, we tend to pack on the heavy side. Haven’t towed far yet with the Chevy but expect better fuel economy. The best the F-250 could get on the highway not towing was 14 mpg, 9-11 mpg towing. The Chevy diesel gets 22 mpg highway not towing. The Chevy 2500 HD also has a better ride. I found the gas F-250 wanting in the Rockies, both climbing and descending. It had to work hard on the ups and too much braking on the downs.
It’s still winter here. Can’t use the camper yet. We’ll be leaving for Osoyoos in a month and find out more. I like to have adequate towing and payload capacity. Just my read on this subject.
Charlie

Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote