19 Hitch height? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2018, 06:58 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16
19 Hitch height?

Hi all,

Now we wait for our new 19 to be completed.

Have not found the hitch height for the19 in any Escape docs.

I will include the anti-sway and weight distribution hitch for our Ford Flex as it is only FWD and not AWD.

Tnx

Bat Dude
Bat Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:06 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If my memory serves me, I believe it is 19" to ball top, check with ETI. I highly recommend an adjustable ball, you can then raise or lower spending on your trailer's weight, which can vary trip to trip.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Escape could tell you for certain, but I think Jim is right.

However, I personally would definitely recommend not using an adjustable ballmount. For my bumper tow trailers I carry a couple different ballmounts, as it is way easier to swap out than change the hitch height. It would take a few hundred pounds of tongue weight to drop the hitch hitch even marginally, which would not be advised.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:31 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
See this post which confirms the ball height with ETI for a 2nd gen 19.
19" to top of ball standard, 21.5" with high lift

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7/hitch-ball-height-11837.html#post227516
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:53 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Dude View Post
Hi all,

Now we wait for our new 19 to be completed.

Have not found the hitch height for the19 in any Escape docs.

I will include the anti-sway and weight distribution hitch for our Ford Flex as it is only FWD and not AWD.

Tnx

Bat Dude
Not saying you can’t do it, but I think the Ford Flex has a max towing capacity of 4500 lbs. with the tow package. I personally wouldn’t like to tow that close to capacity, especially with a front wheel drive. I don’t think the gross weight of the trailer should exceed the tow ratting of your vehicle. Just my two cents worth.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:12 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16
Load balancing hitch

Tnx for the comment and your concern Re. Flex as a TV.

Likely TMI...

We will not be loaded to the max in the new trailer so will not come close to the max 4.5 K limit.

When we Smart Weighed our 16 Scamp at one of the Escapees safety programs we only had ~325 lbs of stuff in our trailer. Most food items. We do not load every available space. Apparently average is ~800!

We towed the 16 Scamp safely with an older Ford Freestyle and we were right on the tow limit. Slow on long uphill pulls. Now with the Flex and much more powerful engine and tow capacity we will be doing OK.

The multiple seminars on safety were major eye openers for me.
I will always be suspect of the huge motorhomes on the road. Apparently, >80% of the stick and staple trailers, heavy-duty trucks and motorhomes are dangerously overweight with every cubby hole filled to capacity with loads of things.

As an aside, after living in the jungles in Central America as conservation zoologists for 25+ years we learned to live with minimal stuff.

It becomes obvious that most possessions accumulated are not necessary for day-to-day life and well being. So the "Small is beautiful" approach carries on with our FG trailer life now that we are back in the U.S. Our land-based house is only 1,000 sq ft. We were still shocked that we needed a 20' container to bring our stuff back to the U.S. Most was tropical hardwood furniture. However, books and research related materials were also a large part as well.

Carrying on in the mode of decades of heading into remote jungle field conditions where we only had a few changes of clothes for 3-4 month stints away from civilization continues for our new RV life. The One-bag travel dude (easy to find online) shows it is simple and one only needs have a few sets of clothes for travel.

We have recently re-evaluated our travel wardrobe and oops mine were creeping up in mass. I will in the future only bring 1 pair of jeans and move to only a few other pairs of lighter weight easy wash pants. DW already has her travel clothes reduced. Not sure why I thought 3 pairs of heavy jeans were necessary.

Granted our lifestyle may not be typical of the mainstream. For example, we do not have television or find a need to haul a gazillion lights to string up around the rig to scare off dangerous critters (?) or invade a site with masses of holiday decorations. But then again those of us choosing smaller FG trailers are not the mainstream folks of mobile suite RVers who travel with a yard fence, toy haulers, and everything but a backyard pool.

Looking forward to years of travel with our new 19 Escape.
Yes, Ford indicates that for a FWD only Flex that a load balancing hitch be used, so we shall. Escape offers several choices.

Cheers,

Bat Dude
Bat Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Escape carries several hitches for 2" receivers. We brought ours up and it was wrong so they sold us the correct one for a reasonable price with a new ball installed.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Dude View Post
But then again those of us choosing smaller FG trailers are not the mainstream folks of mobile suite RVers who travel with a yard fence, toy haulers, and everything but a backyard pool.
I couldn't resist doing a little google search. Check out the 1952 Executive Flagship. It had a diving board off the top sundeck into a 10,000 gallon portable pool!

https://books.google.com/books?id=2C...20pool&f=false
Attached Thumbnails
pool.JPG  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Wow, only $75K and 128 hp motor....amazing.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Wow, only $75K and 128 hp motor....amazing.
$75,000 in 1953 is equivalent to $1.9 million today. I think the current two million dollar motorhomes are nicer, but they're not that long (65 feet)... although it has been done with a Prevost H5-60.

Performance expectations were certainly lower back then.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
$75,000 in 1953 is equivalent to $1.9 million today. I think the current two million dollar motorhomes are nicer, but they're not that long (65 feet)... although it has been done with a Prevost H5-60.

Performance expectations were certainly lower back then.
Using the Canadian inflation rate to calculate what $75k in 1953 is worth in 2018, it is only $705,535.71. If you trust the Bank of Canada calculator, that is.

Kinda funny, as I had that calculator open for others reasons.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Using the Canadian inflation rate to calculate what $75k in 1953 is worth in 2018, it is only $705,535.71.
Good deal, then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If you trust the Bank of Canada calculator, that is.
I used some random USD calculator, and of course inflation and currency values vary by country. By any calculator, that was a premium RV in the 1950's!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote