2009 5.0 height clearance vs F250 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #21

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Congratulations that is so exciting best of luck with your new rig!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Congratulations that is so exciting best of luck with your new rig!

[emoji4] thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:35 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Congrats, your getting a sweet trailer.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Congratulations. Several people on the forum tow 5.0s happily with Frontiers. You should still be aware of your truck's payload, which needs to not only support the trailer, but everything you carry in the truck as well, including passengers.
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark8 View Post
Either way, taking the advice and staying clear of the Toyota as a possible TV
Why? What model do you think "the Toyota" is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
You need to watch your payload if going to Toyota. I checked out the Tacoma before buying my F150 and the numbers didn't work. It was tight with my Ranger that was advertised at 1520lbs which then ended going down to 1300lbs with factory options.
The Tacoma can have as little as 950lbs payload with a 4x4 V6 Double Cab. It's not much better with the Access Cab where a 4x4 V6 has only 1150 lbs payload.
Barry
All of this is good information about the Tacoma; however, Toyota builds two pickup trucks models, and the Tacoma is the small one.

To dismiss all Toyota trucks based on this evaluation of the Tacoma is the same as dismissing all Ford trucks (including the F-150) based on this evaluation of the Ranger.

Any brand and model of light pickup truck (including Ford F-150, Ram 1500, Chevrolet Silverado 1500, GMC Sierra 1500, Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon, Toyota Tacoma, Toyota Tundra, etc) can have insufficient payload if the truck is not configured appropriately. It pays to check the specific combination of cab, box, and options to ensure that specific truck will work with the pin weight of your trailer and your combination of passenger and cargo load.

For instance:
  • A Ram 1500 Crew Cab longbox EcoDiesel has a payload of less than 1,250 pounds (how much less depending on options), so it is no better than Barry's Ranger.
  • An F-150 can have a payload as low as less than 1,000 pounds (in Raptor SuperCab trim) - just like the Tacoma - or as high as 3,270 pounds (in a configuration few people would want to drive).
  • A Nissan Frontier Pro-4X Crew Cab has a payload of less than 980 pounds, but a Frontier SV King Cab 4X2 has a payload up to 1430 pounds.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
[emoji4] thank you

Hi: shark8... We have towed our 5.0TA and before that our 5.0 with our 2010 Nissan V6 4ltr. Crew Cab. It now has almost 90,000 miles on it. Fantastic tug for Escapes contrary to some "Experts" here on the forum.
Guess which trailer had people come looking?
Perspective is in the eye of the beer holder!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040198.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #27

We've decided to not get a lift kit as we feel it would be better to get a truck to fit the 5er. We are going to shop around either this evening or tomorrow to see what options are available to us.
So from looking through other post, it looks like we need to strive for a clearance of 4"-5" from bed rail to bottom of loft/frame (not sure what you properly call it)? We measured the 5.0 and it looks like its around 54"-55" height from the bottom of the loft to the ground. So bed rails shouldn't be any higher than 50"? Do I understand that correctly. Forgive me if I word this all wrong [emoji53]. Hopefully I'm not or this could become messy with info [emoji33][emoji23]. We haven't ruled out any make truck just let. Yes, it seems like the proper Frontier would work well with this unit but we also want to keep a proper Toyota in mind and maybe even a GMC. My husband understands tow capacity and such as we used to tow a 23' center console (monster of a beast) so I'm not here to talk weight capacity as I am more so determining height but I will take in any considerations mentioned previously or going forward. Looks like Donna gave me the weights and such on the post above. Do I need to adjust the weight for the actual unit itself or is that good? Obviously I would consider weight added for cargo and misc.

Shwooo, this 5er thing is a lot to think about.
I also hope there are trucks out there that don't all come with such high rails. I definitely think my husband will stick with a 4x4 as it does come handy in other situations and this will be his daily driver. See that, I thought I was done talking then I had to mention the 4x4 necessity. [emoji19] I'm stressed, [emoji23]

Old 08-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: shark8... We have towed our 5.0TA and before that our 5.0 with our 2010 Nissan V6 4ltr. Crew Cab. It now has almost 90,000 miles on it. Fantastic tug for Escapes contrary to some "Experts" here on the forum.
Guess which trailer had people come looking?
Perspective is in the eye of the beer holder!!! Alf

I'll take the smaller one any day. We are a state Park'ers and those big rigs can't fit everywhere! [emoji6]

Old 08-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: shark8... Our Frontier has a metal box which is less complicated to put in a fifth wheel hitch. It has the same record as a Toyota but for le$$. The height from the ground to box rail top is 49" for the 4X4. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1030738.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #30

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
I'll take the smaller one any day. We are a state Park'ers and those big rigs can't fit everywhere! [emoji6]
Good one Sharon!

As Sharon's wink alludes to, big rig is in the eye of the beholder. My F150 Supercrew with a 2017 5.0TA will be about 35' long. This is a big rig compared to a 17 towed by a RAV. But it's a baby rig when compared to my nephew's 34' 5er towed by his diesel F250 (which he found is a bit underpowered).

Small is beautiful!
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:07 PM   #31

Since truck boxes material was mentioned...
  • The Toyota Tacoma (not the Tundra) is the only current pickup truck which could reasonably be used for an Escape and has a composite box.
  • The Ford F-150 has an aluminum box.
While the box material is often mentioned as a concern with fifth-wheel hitches, it is actually not an issue. The hitch mounts to brackets which are bolted to the frame; the bolts just pass through the box floor and are not supported by the box. Arranging proper brackets can be a concern with some models, particularly if bracket specifically for them are not available.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Since truck boxes material was mentioned...
  • The Toyota Tacoma (not the Tundra) is the only current pickup truck which could reasonably be used for an Escape and has a composite box.
  • The Ford F-150 has an aluminum box.

While the box material is often mentioned as a concern with fifth-wheel hitches, it is actually not an issue. The hitch mounts to brackets which are bolted to the frame; the bolts just pass through the box floor and are not supported by the box. Arranging proper brackets can be a concern with some models, particularly if bracket specifically for them are not available.

Of course there's more to think about! Who am I kidding. Ha. I'll add bed material to our check list and in determining the type of hitch that will be used. Did I mention my brain hurts?
Could I assume adding a hitch to composite bed would be more pricey compared to adding one to a metal bed? Brian, you are a great help with your knowledge! Thanks

Old 08-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #33

Quote:
I also hope there are trucks out there that don't all come with such high rails.
All pickups have have been going to higher and higher box sides for many years. The Frontier may be the lowest because it is the oldest design (2004), but even it is higher than the previous style of Frontier. This is one reason that Reace designed the next fifth-wheel model (the 5.0TA) to be taller.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Of course there's more to think about! Who am I kidding. Ha. I'll add bed material to our check list and in determining the type of hitch that will be used. Did I mention my brain hurts?
Could I assume adding a hitch to composite bed would be more pricey compared to adding one to a metal bed?
I would take hitch material off of the list - it doesn't matter, to the installation process or the cost. What I would put on the list would be the availability of bolt-on brackets to secure the hitch, or at least confirmation that a good installation in that model of truck is practical.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:06 PM   #35

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
And we pull our 5.0 TA with an F250...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4309.jpg  
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote