2013 Acura MDX-17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2018, 10:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B
2013 Acura MDX-17B

HI there,
I am new and I have order a 17B escape already. Do I have to pay for equalizer hitch? Is that necessary? Thanks.
mirage99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:39 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome Chester, it all depends, your tongue weight can vary, depending on your options. What does the spec's say for your vehicle, that would be helpful.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If it helps other members, the Acura MDX is a variant of the Honda Pilot. There are several forum members towing Escapes with Pilots... including larger Escape models.

The 2013 MDX owner's manual says
Quote:
Weight Distributing Hitch
A weight distributing hitch is not recommended for use with your vehicle, as an improperly adjusted weight distributing hitch may reduce handling, stability, and braking performance.
They're not saying that you can't use one, but they're also not saying that there is any need to use one. The primary risk that they have identified is that if you use a WDH and adjust the spring bars too tight, rear tire traction is reduced and the whole rig is unstable. It's easy to adjust a WDH correctly, but many people don't read instructions and do bad things as a result.

The use of a WDH with this vehicle does not make a higher tongue weight allowable.

You may prefer the way the MDX and trailer combination feels with WDH, but you don't need it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Welcome Chester, it all depends, your tongue weight can vary, depending on your options. What does the spec's say for your vehicle, that would be helpful.
Thank you very much Jim.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If it helps other members, the Acura MDX is a variant of the Honda Pilot. There are several forum members towing Escapes with Pilots... including larger Escape models.

The 2013 MDX owner's manual says

They're not saying that you can't use one, but they're also not saying that there is any need to use one. The primary risk that they have identified is that if you use a WDH and adjust the spring bars too tight, rear tire traction is reduced and the whole rig is unstable. It's easy to adjust a WDH correctly, but many people don't read instructions and do bad things as a result.

The use of a WDH with this vehicle does not make a higher tongue weight allowable.

You may prefer the way the MDX and trailer combination feels with WDH, but you don't need it.
Thank you so much Brian, it's really helpful for me. I would check the MDX manual again
Old 10-22-2018, 12:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Chester,
within a page of the Weight Distributing Hitch statement in your manual, you should find more info on towing and tongue capacity for your MDX.

FYI: We have a 17, and tow with a 2011 2WD Honda Pilot. We don't find any need for a WDH.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:43 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Fried Transmission

My friend has an Acura MDX. His wife took it camping on a trip approximately 4 hours each way, likely had it in OD the whole time, the transmission hasn't shifted properly since.

Be aware of the limitations of your tow vehicle. Unless your sure, never tow in OD, the transmission will overheat. When I tow with my 4Runner, I use a ScanGauge2 to monitor transmission temps, best money I spent on towing accessories. I tow in OD and as soon as the torque converter unlocks (the heat spikes) I put it in 4th gear. It has paid for itself on gas savings in one season.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Chester,
within a page of the Weight Distributing Hitch statement in your manual, you should find more info on towing and tongue capacity for your MDX.

FYI: We have a 17, and tow with a 2011 2WD Honda Pilot. We don't find any need for a WDH.
thanks
Old 10-22-2018, 09:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
My friend has an Acura MDX. His wife took it camping on a trip approximately 4 hours each way, likely had it in OD the whole time, the transmission hasn't shifted properly since.

Be aware of the limitations of your tow vehicle. Unless your sure, never tow in OD, the transmission will overheat. When I tow with my 4Runner, I use a ScanGauge2 to monitor transmission temps, best money I spent on towing accessories. I tow in OD and as soon as the torque converter unlocks (the heat spikes) I put it in 4th gear. It has paid for itself on gas savings in one season.
Thx Doug.
Acura MDX's tow cap. is 5000lb, similar to 4 runner. if my trailer's weight is under 4000lb, it sounds ok?
Old 10-23-2018, 02:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage99 View Post
Thx Doug.
Acura MDX's tow cap. is 5000lb, similar to 4 runner. if my trailer's weight is under 4000lb, it sounds ok?
Absolutely it will do it. Just be aware when you start to accelerate more the torque converter unlocks causing a spike in heat. Your manual will tell you only tow in 4th gear.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Just be aware when you start to accelerate more the torque converter unlocks causing a spike in heat. Your manual will tell you only tow in 4th gear.
You might expect that, but no...

From the manual (page 497):
Quote:
Towing Speeds and Gears
Drive slower than normal in all driving situations, and obey posted speed limits for vehicles with trailers. Use the D position when towing a trailer on level roads. See ‘‘Driving on Hills’’ for additional gear information.
Quote:
Driving on Hills
When climbing hills, closely watch your temperature gauge. If it nears the red (Hot) mark, turn the air conditioning off, reduce speed and, if necessary, pull to the side of the road to let the engine cool.
If you must stop when facing uphill, use the foot brake or parking brake. Do not try to hold the vehicle in place by pressing on the accelerator, as this can cause the automatic transmission to overheat.
When driving down hills, reduce your speed and shift down to S position, or use the paddle shifters to lower gear (3 or 2) in the S position.
They want the driver to watch the engine temperature gauge; there's no transmission temperature gauge provided by Honda.
The direction to shift to a lower gear is for descending hills, to provide engine braking, not to keep the transmission cool. They're saying to use the "S" (Sport) mode or to manually shift all the way down to 3 or 2, even though it is a six-speed transmission.

It looks like Honda expects the transmission to shift down by itself rather than running excessively with the torque converter unlocked.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:18 PM   #12

Quote:

They want the driver to watch the engine temperature gauge; there's no transmission temperature gauge provided by Honda.
The direction to shift to a lower gear is for descending hills, to provide engine braking, not to keep the transmission cool. They're saying to use the "S" (Sport) mode or to manually shift all the way down to 3 or 2, even though it is a six-speed transmission.

It looks like Honda expects the transmission to shift down by itself rather than running excessively with the torque converter unlocked.
I can’t believe the owners manual says that. Here is a write up I did after a recent trip with my 4RUNNER.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...nce-13422.html
Old 10-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #13

Quote:

I can’t believe the owners manual says that. Here is a write up I did after a recent trip with my 4RUNNER.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...nce-13422.html
Old 10-24-2018, 12:01 AM   #14

One challenge with advising people how to shift is that different transmissions behave differently, so what it right for one vehicle may not be right for another.