2016 Ford F-150 Bed Rail Height - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2017, 05:35 PM   #21

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I know i do not want an 8 foot bed. I really want a 5 ft 5 bed if i would have enough clearance it seems like i recall others with this short bed hauling the 5.0 with no issues -as long as you have the clearance and a capable truck and the right hitch there should be no issues. but i want to be sure this configuration works before i buy my new truck. Some want a longer bed for other work/hauling but i want a super cab and i don't haul much stuff in my bed.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I know i do not want an 8 foot bed. I really want a 5 ft 5 bed if i would have enough clearance it seems like i recall others with this short bed hauling the 5.0 with no issues -as long as you have the clearance and a capable truck and the right hitch there should be no issues. but i want to be sure this configuration works before i buy my new truck. Some want a longer bed for other work/hauling but i want a super cab and i don't haul much stuff in my bed.
This is a thread for you Kate. Reace documented, with pictures, the hookup of a 5er with a short bed: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...html#post48917
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:22 PM   #23

Thank you!
Old 03-21-2017, 07:28 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Fox Hunt, I got a little bit different info from ETI a few weeks back regarding the need for the High Lift Axle. Then they recommended staying with the standard axle unless you absolute need to go with the High Lift Axle and anything 58" or above called for a High Lift Axle. Now I am confused again!
Drumstick63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #25

I will get the 6' 5" bed if it's needed but trying to get a shorter bed if possible. the one in the picture is a 5'6" the Ford is a 5'5" not sure if that matters or not
Old 03-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #26

Not sure they said stay under 56inchs in an email today. I don't want the high lift.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:58 PM   #27

I know ETI doesn't typically monitor the forum but it would be nice if they would respond to this thread and clarify the bed height issue so as to avoid confusion! You were given 56" and we were given 58".

The reason we asked the question of ETI on the 2017 5.0TA was that we were thinking of possibly buying another truck before picking up our 2017 5.0TA. Our flooded 2015 5.0TA worked fine with the standard axle and is our preference but we are certainly will to go with the high lift axle if necessary.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:34 PM   #28

Trailer: Hope to buy an Escape 5th Wheel soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstick63 View Post
Fox Hunt, I got a little bit different info from ETI a few weeks back regarding the need for the High Lift Axle. Then they recommended staying with the standard axle unless you absolute need to go with the High Lift Axle and anything 58" or above called for a High Lift Axle. Now I am confused again!
This is the (definitive?) response I got from Tammy at Escape tonight:

"Thank you for your email.

In regards to your truck bed height the Escape 5.0TA tows best with a box height between 54” - 56” . If your truck bed is between 56” – 58” then we would strongly encourage you to opt for the Highlift Axle. However, we cannot accommodate a box height greater than 58”

Please feel free to forward any questions you may have."

For our truck, we measure 57", so I think we need the high axle. . Another inch and it sounds like the Escape wouldn't be an option for us!!

It does contradict the information Drumstick said above. Thoughts?

I personally feel comfortable and reassured in ordering the 5.0TA with the high-lift axle based on Tammy's reply.
Segolily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #29

Trailer: Hope to buy an Escape 5th Wheel soon
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Segolily... Need more info. Is the truck a 4X4, short box, standard cab, Crew Cab, or any combo of them? Does it have removable rails along the box sides? Did you measure from the ground to the top of the box sides at the rear axle? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Ok, my husband just said we DO have removable side rails. He would like to not remove them though.

Using a straight edge he is getting closer to 55" at the axle. So that puts us right under the need for the high-lift after all. Hmmmm. I guess that is good news!

We were so clueless and really appreciate all the help here!!
Segolily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:02 AM   #30

I guess I better call and talk to Tammy again because that is who I got my information from! Maybe I misunderstood her. I definitely don't want to purchase a new truck that won't work with our new 5.0TA!
Old 03-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #31

Tammy said short bed will be fine -i should get a sliding hitch.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:20 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Also look into the Anderson Ultimate Rail Mount hitch. I have a 2010 F 150 Super Crew with the 5.5' short bed and am planning to use this product. Much cheaper than a slide and also much lighter weight.
Edit: Also search on Anderson Ultimate, there are many discussions on this forum about it.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #33

yes the Anderson will work - i was told by the hitch people Escape works with they said no problem- i want the ball in the trailer bed and the Anderson attaches to the ball (turn over ball) about 2,500 cad. I will have them do the work when I pick up my trailer.
yes good to go now buy the truck!