2016 Toyota Tacoma - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 - 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe.---
An aquaintance of ours purchased a 2016 Tacoma to pull his trailer (trailer weight is approx 5600 lbs) . The truck will tow the weight but the rear suspension will not take the trailer's tongue weight. When the trailer is hooked up to the truck ,the rear suspension is almost bottomed out and if he hits a bump it does bottom out. He made the mistake of believing the salesman when he bought the truck and now he is stuck with the vehicle .He is one unhappy camper.
Payload is often the issue more than tow rating

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:18 AM   #22

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19', 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
Good point made earlier here. I never realized that the vehicles often come standard with tow packages. Would most likely explain a lot of the confusion and real world experiences with each have with similar makes of vehicles. I guess automakers just realize Canadians will envitavibly abuse our vehicles
��

smac2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19', 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
I even had a transmission shop mech tell me that often standard option tow packages have shift kits in the transmission. So even though it looks the same externally it behaves totally different. Have never looked or checked this out on the Internet though.
smac2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
An aquaintance of ours purchased a 2016 Tacoma to pull his trailer (trailer weight is approx 5600 lbs) . The truck will tow the weight but the rear suspension will not take the trailer's tongue weight. When the trailer is hooked up to the truck ,the rear suspension is almost bottomed out and if he hits a bump it does bottom out. He made the mistake of believing the salesman when he bought the truck and now he is stuck with the vehicle .He is one unhappy camper.
Would an equalizer hitch help him?
Old 11-02-2015, 03:13 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
What is the tongue weight on this 5600 lb trailer, and was your friend hauling anything in the truck besides himself?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:21 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 - 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe.---
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
What is the tongue weight on this 5600 lb trailer, and was your friend hauling anything in the truck besides himself?
The truck was empty except for the driver. I don't know the tongue weight but I assume it was in the 15% range. My truck has a tow rating of 10,250 lbs but I would be a fool to try and tow anything near it's full rating. The dealer I bought my truck from suggested that the true tow rating of a vehicle is around 75% of the manufacturers stated tow rating . It seems tow rating numbers are driven more by the marketing dept than by fact. He evidently only looked at one number , " The Tow Rating " and ended up making the wrong choice in vehicles.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:24 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Not knowing the tongue weight of the trailer is the first problem. Not knowing the tongue capacity of of the truck is the second problem. Rather pointless discussing this further.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #28

Trailer: Looking for one
Quote:
I had a Toyota Tacoma and they all need a leaf pack installed, or some airbags to handle any towing capacity. Your friend can install them himself, they are fairly easy to do. I since sold my Toyota and went back to a Ford. Now I am on the hunt for a 19 or 21.
refokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Older Tacos had a TSB to have an additional leaf spring installed at no charge; the newer ones work fine as long as you observe the tongue weight limits although a WDH helps somewhat.

If you don't comply with the hitch limit specs you can certainly have an issue. It's just physics, not rocket science!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:01 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
I had a Toyota Tacoma and they all need a leaf pack installed, or some airbags to handle any towing capacity. Your friend can install them himself, they are fairly easy to do. I since sold my Toyota and went back to a Ford. Now I am on the hunt for a 19 or 21.
We had to install helper springs right away . It was a shock you couldn't put much in the bed of truck . It was a long bed . That made a difference . You couldn't kill the truck though it keep going and going . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote