2016 Toyota Tacoma - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2015, 12:39 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Technical Service Bulletin.

Technical Service Bulletins, or TSBs, are recommended procedures for repairing vehicles. They are a form of diagnosis. Not to be confused with recalls, a TSB is issued by a vehicle manufacturer when there are several occurrences of an unanticipated problem.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
And its interesting how often the dealers don't mention TSBs unless you know about them and specifically ask.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:24 PM   #43

Phil Edmonston's books contain sections on TSBs and secret recalls.
He recommends you get his books at the library, but you can buy them too.

Phil Edmonston's Lemonaidcars.com
Old 11-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
And its interesting how often the dealers don't mention TSBs unless you know about them and specifically ask.
If a vehicle doesn't have a particular problem, or if an owner has not reported it to them, there is no reason for the dealer to mention the solution for it. If they just tell owners about every TSB, some owners may insist that the work is done - at no cost even if outside of warranty - for no good reason, just because they feel entitled.

If a vehicle is brought in with the problem addressed by the TSB, of course the dealership service department should refer to the TSB to resolve the problem.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
He recommends you get his books at the library, but you can buy them too.
A printed book seems like a poor source of current information such as TSBs. There are multiple online sources, depending on the vehicle brand.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:00 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Golly Gee thanks Brian I never would have thought of all that. I'm so glad you are here to educate us hicks!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-21-2015, 03:16 PM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Ah the Internet will never take off. [emoji6]
Cheers
Doug
Old 11-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Seriously ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
I complained and got the leaf spring upgrade on my 2010. The difference was noticible. The factory rep told me Tacoma's weren't built to tow, just to look good and have a good ride for buyers that prefer pickups over cars. Now, if they could put a small V-8 under the hood, they'd have a serious truck.

Im going to wait a year or so before I start hunting for a new one, maybe see how the new Tacoma shakes out or check out the new Nissan. Rumor is a V-8 and diesel are on the way.

The factory rep you talked to must have been "HIGH" on something.
kmk7580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:48 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
By the way, a "secret recall" makes no sense - it would be a request to bring a product in for repair which is not communicated to anyone, so it wouldn't be a request. I assume that the intent was "secret warranty", which still doesn't quite make sense, but is intended to mean that the manufacturer will fix a specific problem at no cost, even though the warranty has expired, if an owner brings a vehicle in with that problem.

This is actually useful information - if you happen have a qualifying problem - because the dealer might ask for payment unless the owner mentions that they know that they shouldn't have to pay. I've only had one example of this, and the dealership service departent (Honda in this case) offered to do the fix (described by a TSB) and bill Honda (due to the beyond-warranty coverage offer) when the parts I was ordering suggested to them that I might have the covered problem... no consumer information service needed. Perhaps there have been other issues that I could have had fixed had I known they were covered this way.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #50

Quote:
I complained and got the leaf spring upgrade on my 2010. The difference was noticible. The factory rep told me Tacoma's weren't built to tow, just to look good and have a good ride for buyers that prefer pickups over cars. Now, if they could put a small V-8 under the hood, they'd have a serious truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmk7580 View Post
I agree - and I suspect that it was either not a factory rep or not quite what he said. The Tacoma's biggest towing weakness is rear suspension stiffness (and that's the legitimate connection with ride), so putting more engine in it would not help at all. The cylinder count is really not important, and a big engine is not necessary for towing.

Truly serious trucks - which means not a pickup truck - have very little power compared to their own weight, let alone the weight they can haul. Very few have V8 engines - the inline six-cylinder is the nearly universal engine configuration for medium-duty and heavy-duty trucks.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #51

Quote:
Im going to wait a year or so before I start hunting for a new one, maybe see how the new Tacoma shakes out or check out the new Nissan. Rumor is a V-8 and diesel are on the way.
Personally, I would be really surprised if Toyota ever puts a V8 engine in the Tacoma (they sell the Tundra for people wanting a big engine), and the Tundra would likely get a diesel before the Tacoma (and there is no credible plan published for even a Tundra diesel).

The 2016 Nissan Titan is approximately out (that is, there are ads and articles but maybe no trucks at dealerships) and it does have an XD version with a gasoline V8 base engine and an available 5.0L V8 diesel (from Cummins). That's a much bigger truck than a Tacoma.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:09 PM   #52

I did mean secret warranty, not recall.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #53

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmk7580 View Post
Huh? Him high, don't know but heck, this is California, anything's possible. Me thinks you missed the context of his point. No?

The 4X2 Tacoma's with 3 leaf springs even with a tow package bottomed out, check the earlier posts. Mine should have been called a Toyota Bowser, it was a real dog! Maybe our Tacoma's out here in Lala Land were a little wimpier. Folks out here consider a couple bags of manure or a Costco run heavy hauling.

Mine is a TRD Sport, maybe the Off Road packages were different. No Tacoma company trucks working out on job sites in my neck of the woods. Toyota knew it and issued the TSB after getting beat up by owners and TacomaWorld.com. Heck, my local Service Manager said he's upgraded suspensions on this TSB on 4 or 5 other trucks for the same reason. They admitted their "guilt" by making 4 leaf springs standard now.

I love my Tacoma and consider it with the beefed up suspension to be a very primo hauler. Not before though.

Comprende?
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
This is the 2016 Tacoma's owners manual .

http://s3.amazonaws.com/toyota.site....U/OM04005U.pdf

Brake control plug in is on page 178 can't figure where to mount it ? The wire is under the dash .
Did you find a place to mount the brake controller yet?

Old 11-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #55

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
On my 2015 Tacoma, the break controller is mounted just to the right of the steering column, in what was once a coin catch.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #56

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Didn't know this Gregg . I was very disappointed in my new Toyota truck when the first load I put in it the truck almost went to the ground . I added helper springs which helped . Kept the truck for 12 years though had to get my money out of it . Then I went to a Nissan xe frontier WOW what a difference . Loved that truck strong , comfortable . Would of keep but it was a 5 speed .Had my Ford all along so that is my tow . The Toyota did not give me a good impression though . When I saw your truck though it looked nice and strong . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
On my 2015 Tacoma, the break controller is mounted just to the right of the steering column, in what was once a coin catch.
That's where I mounted mine on my 2008 too. I'm wondering if the 2016 no longer has that removable part there.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #58

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Didn't know this Gregg . I was very disappointed in my new Toyota truck when the first load I put in it the truck almost went to the ground . I added helper springs which helped . Kept the truck for 12 years though had to get my money out of it . Then I went to a Nissan xe frontier WOW what a difference . Loved that truck strong , comfortable . Would of keep but it was a 5 speed .Had my Ford all along so that is my tow . The Toyota did not give me a good impression though . When I saw your truck though it looked nice and strong . Pat
Hi Pat. That sounds familiar. You hauled the camper with the Ford or the Nissan? I love my Tacoma now with the suspension upgrade but I knew trouble was brewing when I hooked my Casita up for the first time and encountered a 5" bumper drop. I spent $350 on a WDH that helped but the extra leaf did the trick.

The Nissan diesel has me curious.
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:22 PM   #59

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

Me too, but preliminary pricing is putting it $50-60K, out of my range. What about the diesel Colorado or Canyon?
Old 11-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #60

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Hi Pat. That sounds familiar. You hauled the camper with the Ford or the Nissan? I love my Tacoma now with the suspension upgrade but I knew trouble was brewing when I hooked my Casita up for the first time and encountered a 5" bumper drop. I spent $350 on a WDH that helped but the extra leaf did the trick.

Hi Gregg camper was a 9 1/2 . So camper went on Ford F-250 with larger commercial Michelins tires and Firestone air bags . Even though camper was real wood ,no compressed wood ,built for a few years in Oxnard Ca. Even dado drawers ,3 of a time by father and son . It is a lot of weight on truck back . The Nissan was ride and hauling . I remember your truck looked pretty sturdy . The helper spring helped the Toyota cause it was a let down . The Ford pulls my trailer now . Bet she is happy not having that weight on her back . She's still trucking . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote