2016 Toyota Tacoma - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #61

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The Nissan diesel has me curious.

Me too, but preliminary pricing is putting it $50-60K, out of my range. What about the diesel Colorado or Canyon?
That kind of dough buys a heck of a lot of gas. 50-60k is a serious buzz kill!
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:19 PM   #62

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
The Nissan diesel has me curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Me too, but preliminary pricing is putting it $50-60K, out of my range. What about the diesel Colorado or Canyon?
In size the Nissan Titan XD with the Cummins diesel would likely be a closer match to a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel than a Colorado/Canyon diesel. I only tried for a few minutes, but the cheapest I could configure a Ram 1500 crewcab 5.5' box 4X4 EcoDiesel (Laramie trim) was about USD$47K... and keep in mind the Ram has about 3/4 of the Titan's engine (in displacement, cylinder count, and power).

You might be able to configure the Colorado LT crewcab shortbox 4X4 with Duramax for about USD$39K. I assume the Canyon is a bit higher priced, with slightly better equipment.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:22 PM   #63

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
New 2016 Toyota Tacoma Tow Vehicle

We got a 2016 Tacoma this week. It took me three days to find the brake controller connection. The manual does not show the correct location and the harness model isn't listed yet by Toyota for the 2016 Tacoma. The kick plate under the dash forward of the driver's side door has to be removed. The plastic panel just has one screw and two compression fit connectors so is easy to pop off and back on. The brake controller connector is located behind another wire bundle. It uses a Tekonsha 3017-P wire harness which is the same as for the 2015 Tundra.

We haven't hooked up the Escape yet, but did pick up a couple feeder steers pulling a stock trailer which was around 3,900 Lbs. loaded. The brake controller was responsive and I was impressed with how well the Tacoma performed. There was some hitch sag, but the suspension was still good, there was plenty of power and the two axle trailer followed well. On my first couple tanks of gas I've gotten around 19 mpg around town, and over 12 towing. I'll have to report back when I have some more mileage with it.

Now I get the fun of making a decision on what WDH brand and model to buy for sway and weight distribution for our 19' Escape. Our last TV was a Ford Expedition which was heavy enough that I didn't need a WDH.
robinwstebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:12 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinwstebbins View Post
We got a 2016 Tacoma this week. It took me three days to find the brake controller connection. The manual does not show the correct location and the harness model isn't listed yet by Toyota for the 2016 Tacoma. The kick plate under the dash forward of the driver's side door has to be removed. The plastic panel just has one screw and two compression fit connectors so is easy to pop off and back on. The brake controller connector is located behind another wire bundle. It uses a Tekonsha 3017-P wire harness which is the same as the Tindra.
Thanks for the info! I hope to pick one up very soon. Funny, I went thru the same drill with my 2010 Tacoma. Nobody could find it, 3 Toyota dealers, my local mechanic, one trailer hitch shop, and finally, a shop that had done a couple before found it. This drama was repeated again when I went hunting for the sat radio harness. Not cool. Then I stumbled onto the "silent recall" on the leaf springs. I wasn't a happy Toyota customer for awhile! All better now, we've kissed and made up.

G
Old 01-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #65

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
My 2005 Tundra has about 7000 lb towing capability and carries only about 300 lbs more than some Tacomas. I find towing our Escape 21 a breeze. If your Tacoma has anywhere near our 285 hp the Escape 17 will be a very easy tow. You may have to rev the engine a bit on steep grades, but you are actually pulling a trailer. I would replace my Tundra with a newer Tacoma if I didn't need the extra load capacity for boat, motor, etc.

Bob K
Have towed my 19 ft Escape over 50 thousand miles with no sway bar or equailizer hitch..averaged 15mpg and have been in 50 mph crosswinds and steep mountain passes...Tacoma v6...2009..Automatic...no problems.
sprinkledavid@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:18 PM   #66

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
No chance we would be without our WDH as it transfers about 300 lbs. back to the trailer and up to the front of the tow vehicle, getting that off of the tongue.

All tow vehicles are different and everyone's loading is different for both trailer and tow vehicle. Few people know their weight numbers for a loaded vehicle and a loaded trailer and even fewer know their GCWR, or their GVWR, or load max for the trailer. These are easy numbers to deal with and see your towing situation exactly. For newbies, weights can be obtained at truck scales including tongue weight which should be 10-15% of total trailer weight. Some also get Sherline scales for tongue weight.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:47 PM   #67

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
April issue of Trailer Life has a review of a 2016 Tacoma pulling an Olver Legacy Elite 2 trailer. The Oliver is a heavy trailer compared to the escapes.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:02 PM   #68
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:

Now I get the fun of making a decision on what WDH brand and model to buy for sway and weight distribution for our 19' Escape. Our last TV was a Ford Expedition which was heavy enough that I didn't need a WDH.
We have the Anderson hitch on our Taco and it works quite well. Simple to hookup, too.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:34 AM   #69

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, previously 2006 17B
Notwithstanding my complaint about the 2015 Nissan Frontier engine/transmission characteristics last week, we used a WDH on my Escape 17B - even though it tows well without it. By moving the tow bar weight forward you also allow the rear leaf springs to flex the least amount - creating better ride comfort (and steering).
Escapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #70
LRL

Trailer: 2017-2013: 21C; Arriving 3/2024: Escape 23
Does anyone have any thoughts re: High Lift or regular axle for towing behind a 2016 Tacoma?
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #71

Trailer: 17
Is the tacoma brake controller plug behind that kick plate white? Like the tekonsha plug, its white? Thanks
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #72

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
Is the tacoma brake controller plug behind that kick plate white? Like the tekonsha plug, its white? Thanks
If you mean the trim in the door frame, no. It should be tucked up by the E-Brake. It's a pain to find, but it is there. Google a few images and search YouTube.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #73

Quote:
We got a 2016 Tacoma this week. It took me three days to find the brake controller connection. The manual does not show the correct location and the harness model isn't listed yet by Toyota for the 2016 Tacoma. The kick plate under the dash forward of the driver's side door has to be removed. The plastic panel just has one screw and two compression fit connectors so is easy to pop off and back on. The brake controller connector is located behind another wire bundle. It uses a Tekonsha 3017-P wire harness which is the same as for the 2015 Tundra.
I don't mean the trim, just the plug color in this post here.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:26 PM   #74

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Quote:
I don't mean the trim, just the plug color in this post here.
Yes, I believe it's white. It should not be plugged into anything. It might have a blank or cap on it. When you plug in your trailer brake should register it. Are you installing, or still shopping for a brake controller?
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #75

Yes installing the P3 on a Tundra and future Tacoma. Thanks for the help. But Like Robin, I hope I can find it. Any Other Tundra owners can get this aftermarket panel that fits the factory one. Just scroll through this album (hit Next) and read the text at the bottom.
Escape Trailer Owners Community - T&R's Album: 2015 Tundra Brake Controller Install - Picture
Old 04-19-2016, 05:29 PM   #76

Trailer: None now
We are interested in this too, we have a 2013 Tacoma and a place in line for a 19'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRL View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts re: High Lift or regular axle for towing behind a 2016 Tacoma?
Arcata, CA
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:09 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmk7580 View Post
Has anyone towed with one of the new 2016 Tacomas? I'm shopping for a new tow vehicle for a 17B I'll be picking up next year. After reading all the posts from you fine folks on this forum, the Tacoma has become my first choice. Wish it were possible to test drive while towing.
A virtual test Drive is here
https://youtu.be/DCkBmiZV09w
notice they are using this interesting hyndsight camera
http://www.hyndsightvision.com/

I'm gonna try this towing mirror on my 2016 Tacoma. I don't know if it will fit so we shall see, ordered at etrailer for 25 bucks.
https://youtu.be/bI0Yv8Fv38g
Old 04-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #78

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
Just picked up my 16 Tacoma trd sport 4x4 to replace my 08 Tacoma. hooked up the p2 thanks to this thread. I have a Casita 17' with a Escape 19 on order. Love my new Tacoma. Love this Forum. Thanks Guys!!
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #79

Anyone heard any feedback about sumospring helpers for towing? On another forum this post caught my eye(not mine). I wondered how they would work out for trailer towing? Thanks.

"Today I picked up about 800 lbs of dirt to fill a garden bed. I measured the height from the ground to the bottom lip of the rear fender before loading (36 1/2") and with the load (35 1/2"). I plan to tow with around 550 lbs of tongue weight so these SumoSprings seem to really do the job. Easy to install ( about 30 minutes) and no hassles with airing up bags. Smooth ride either with or without the load. That's my 2 cents."
Attached Thumbnails
tac1.jpg   tac2.jpg  
Old 05-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #80

Quote:
Anyone heard any feedback about sumospring helpers for towing? On another forum this post caught my eye. I wondered how they would work out for trailer towing. Thanks.

"Today I picked up about 800 lbs of dirt to fill a garden bed. I measured the height from the ground to the bottom lip of the rear fender before loading (36 1/2") and with the load (35 1/2"). I plan to tow with around 550 lbs of tongue weight so these SumoSprings seem to really do the job. Easy to install ( about 30 minutes) and no hassles with airing up bags. Smooth ride either with or without the load. That's my 2 cents."
I'd be all in on this if I could ditch the weight distribution hitch.