2017 Chevy Colorado Diesel 2.8L - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2018, 02:37 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I use the FtKnoxLock and do not have any problem with the eye bolts for the chains fitting the lock. I have found it way easier to attach the chains to the truck and clip to the trailer as needed, opposite to a bumper pull setup.
I'm thinking that with no instructions and no vid I made bad assumptions on how to proceed. I should:

* Remove the 4 nuts now in place
* Push the 2 eye bolts through.
* Secure them with the 2 nylon nuts provided.

Is this right? If so, DOH?

The pics of BOTH sides finally clued me up. I was blindly anchored to the belief that the eye bolts shouldn't be offset. But why not? If you clamp a chain a link or 2 short, you're good to go. Thanks again for those pix...
Old 02-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #42

Thanks to all for replying to my chicken little call. I did not have instructions and had a basic misconception on what this install would look like. I found the instructions and apparently even something this simple was over my head. Again, thanks all.

https://andersenhitches.com/uploads/...stallation.pdf
Old 02-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
In my case, a "5th wheel", with a ball mount. Consensus is that many US states require them, because it's a ball hitch, bed or rear mounted. FYI, my 19' Scamp bed mounted ball hitch, had chains and probably still does.
Right (and true in Canada as well), but Escape didn't build it as a ball-hitch trailer (which needs safety chains, as does the Scamp 19'); Escape built it with a king pin for a fifth-wheel hitch (so as built it does not need safety chains). I think that's all Robert was saying, in explaining to drjenk why Escape does not provide chains with the 5.0TA.

Anyone having Escape install an Andersen Ultimate coupler on their 5.0TA at pick-up should remember to order the safety chain kit, and get that installed as well... along with suitable safety chain hooks in the truck bed if it is not already equipped with them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Anyone having Escape install an Andersen Ultimate coupler on their 5.0TA at pick-up should remember to order the safety chain kit, and get that installed as well... along with suitable safety chain hooks in the truck bed if it is not already equipped with them.
That is what I did and Dennis installed everything and torqued the bolts. I didn't/still don't have chain hooks in the truck bed so the chain gets wrapped around the Anderson pyramid legs.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:27 AM   #45

Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0
Is there a disadvantage attaching the chains permanently to the bed and clipping them to the trailer rather than the other way around?

Rick
lzcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:50 AM   #46
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Right (and true in Canada as well), but Escape didn't build it as a ball-hitch trailer (which needs safety chains, as does the Scamp 19'); Escape built it with a king pin for a fifth-wheel hitch (so as built it does not need safety chains). I think that's all Robert was saying, in explaining to drjenk why Escape does not provide chains with the 5.0TA.

Bingo. Escape has no way of knowing what type of 5th wheel hitch the customer will use, and the stock equipment is for a conventional 5th wheel hitch. If the hitch requires the chains (and in my opinion the Andersen does) then it's up to the customer to have the chains added.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:53 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzcamper View Post
Is there a disadvantage attaching the chains permanently to the bed and clipping them to the trailer rather than the other way around?
In previous discussions there have been comments that this means the chains are in the bed, and potentially in the way and/or rattling around, when driving without the trailer attached (such as day trips while the trailer is in a campsite).

They could be clipped at both ends, and cable doesn't rattle like chain.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:16 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Are we talking about a bumper pull or a 5th wheel? Every bumper pull trailer Escape makes does have safety chains. The 5th wheel of course does not - it's a 5th wheel.
Quote:

Rick
It works just fine for me, seems that those that make a problem about it don’t even have this set up. I could not be happier with the Anderson Ultimate, safety chains included.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:53 AM   #49
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
It works just fine for me, seems that those that make a problem about it don’t even have this set up. I could not be happier with the Anderson Ultimate, safety chains included.
Cliff, I've no problem with your set up at all. My comment was in response to one that seemed to infer that Escape should provide safety chains with the 5th wheel.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:14 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Cliff, I've no problem with your set up at all. My comment was in response to one that seemed to infer that Escape should provide safety chains with the 5th wheel.
My reply was to the question about the chain mounting. Mine is to the truck bed and I have no issues with it at all. The chains don’t rattle around when trailer is not hooked up and when it’s time to connect to trailer no problem. The Ultimate hitch may not be the the perfect solutions for towing a 5.0, but I sure can’t find much wrong with it.😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:22 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
That is what I did and Dennis installed everything and torqued the bolts. I didn't/still don't have chain hooks in the truck bed so the chain gets wrapped around the Anderson pyramid legs.
Where in the truck bed do you hook them? If on the pyramid legs, then that might not be optimal. A strong point load on a hollow member. I think I'm going to order the mount that goes around the ball, directly above the top of the hitch. It's fit for purpose and I'm thinking that with it I can twist and turn in reverse without wondering if I'm in a bind. It costs an order of magnitude more than it should, and many of you clever posters could cut one yourself. But what else is new in the RV world?

And FYI, Peg was right that I am stuck with her as I'm too dumb to date. With the DIRECTIONS, installation was 4-5 simple steps, taking maybe an hour, including tool trips to the basement. I was TOTALLY turned around before, and thx again for thoughts and prayers for me to gain understanding of something so simple...
Old 02-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #52

Quote:

Please, no diss at all intended to rbryan4. I don't have nearly his expertise, and I make a point of reading and learning from his posts.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #53

Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0
Is there a chance that the trailer emergency breakaway switch could be disconnected by the Andersen hitch safety chains swinging around as you are towing your trailer?

Rick
lzcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
Where in the truck bed do you hook them? If on the pyramid legs, then that might not be optimal. A strong point load on a hollow member. I think I'm going to order the mount that goes around the ball, directly above the top of the hitch.
Do you means this?
3248 - Ultimate Connection Safety Chain Plate

Quote:
The plate should be installed over the tow vehicle's gooseneck ball underneath the base of the Ultimate Connection.
So this is at the truck floor level, to provide safety chain anchor points in trucks that have a bed-mounted ball, but are missing the chain loops which normally come with that type of hitch. I'm not sure that was clear - it doesn't go on top of the Andersen Ultimate hitch.

Finding an anchor point isn't a problem:
  • If you have an Andersen Ultimate anchored to a ball in the bed (their "gooseneck" style), then you probably have safety chain loops in the bed already (or you can use the plate shown above).
  • If you have an Andersen Ultimate anchored to rails on the bed floor, you can use safety chain loops which pin to the rails, such as these:
    CURT 5th Wheel Safety Chain Anchors (part #16000, UPC: 612314001569)

There are equivalent products from Reese (50223) and perhaps others.

Safety chains exist to retain the trailer in case the hitch does not. This usually happens with a ball-and-socket coupler because the operator forgets to latch it (an error which is noticed immediately with a fifth-wheel, but not a ball-in-socket), and in that case a wide range of chain locations will work. If the hitch fails anywhere else, the chain should bypass the failed part; usually that means anything which is routinely removable and so might not have been pinned properly, so in a conventional "tow behind" hitch the chain loops are always on the fixed receiver, not the removable ball mount. Chaining to the Andersen pyramid structure is like chaining to a removable ball mount. For this or some other reason, Andersen chose to not provide chain loops on the Ultimate hitch.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:17 PM   #55

Quote:
Do you means this?

So this is at the truck floor level, to provide safety chain anchor points in trucks that have a bed-mounted ball, but are missing the chain loops which normally come with that type of hitch. I'm not sure that was clear - it doesn't go on top of the Andersen Ultimate hitch.

• If you have an Andersen Ultimate anchored to a ball in the bed (their "gooseneck" style), then you probably have safety chain loops in the bed already (or you can use the plate shown above).
  • If you have an Andersen Ultimate anchored to rails on the bed floor, you can use safety chain loops which pin to the rails, such as these:

Safety chains exist to retain the trailer in case the hitch does not. This usually happens with a ball-and-socket coupler because the operator forgets to latch it (an error which is noticed immediately with a fifth-wheel, but not a ball-in-socket), and in that case a wide range of chain locations will work. If the hitch fails anywhere else, the chain should bypass the failed part; usually that means anything which is routinely removable and so might not have been pinned properly, so in a conventional "tow behind" hitch the chain loops are always on the fixed receiver, not the removable ball mount. Chaining to the Andersen pyramid structure is like chaining to a removable ball mount. For this or some other reason, Andersen chose to not provide chain loops on the Ultimate hitch.
Thanks Brian, and yes it was. You must be right as I can't find any pic of this safety plate with a pyramid type hitch. Your explanation of safety chain attachment point do's and don'ts also makes sense. Since a hitch as a Seabees Equipment Operator over 40 years ago these have always been available to me and I never gave their design/placement a thought. I'll check out the Curt products, while still wondering why they didn't give me the attachment points. The Curt products will still allow plenty of freedom. Do appreciate it.....
Old 02-24-2018, 05:39 PM   #56

Quote:
Is there a chance that the trailer emergency breakaway switch could be disconnected by the Andersen hitch safety chains swinging around as you are towing your trailer?

Rick
Don't think so. Per my last post, I was wrong about the method of chain connection to the truck. If I use the parts recommended by Brian, my breakaway switch will be connected fairly close by, but should not be abraded or otherwise disconnected by the chains. Even when backing. But I'll definitively keep it in mind.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #57

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 2006 17' Casita SD sold 2018
I too am looking at the Anderson but with turn over ball. The pics I see shows eye bolts going through the coupler that attaches on the Anderson ball. Unless I am looking at this incorrectly if this assembly wood fail at that connection your chains would be of know value. Some state may have a problem with this as your liability insurance company.
Kare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #58

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 2006 17' Casita SD sold 2018
Further looking at pics I see the hook point for the safety chains in bed that I missed.My mistake.
Kare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kare View Post
The pics I see shows eye bolts going through the coupler that attaches on the Anderson ball.
Yes, those are Andersen's optional eye bolts for safety chains. It's just like attaching safety chains to a conventional trailer by bolting the coupler to the trailer tongue (which is an acceptable alternative to welding), and using eyebolts to both attach the coupler and anchor the chains.

Quote:
Unless I am looking at this incorrectly if this assembly [would] fail at that connection your chains would be of [no] value.
I agree, but I think the primary reason for safety chains with ball hitches is to cover the situation in which the operator just fails to latch the coupler, and this setup by Andersen handles that.

Quote:
Further looking at pics I see the hook point for the safety chains in bed that I missed.
Yes, a B&W Turnoverball has safety chain loops that stick up through the truck bed for the truck end of the chains. Different anchoring hardware for the truck side of the hitch will have different chain loop provisions. That doesn't change the design of the setup for the trailer end of the chains.

B&W doesn't offer mounting hardware to put a Turnoverball in a Colorado, but other bed-mounted ball hitches usually have similar loops.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:58 PM   #60

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Quote:
Do you means this?

This is great info. I did notice that the curt product is much cheaper on the etrailer site.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...rt/C16000.html

And the Reese solution is more reasonable still. Anyone use either solution with the Anderson rails? I did just order the safety chain kit from Anderson.

BTW, I think I might be the OP for this thread. Reporting back, after picking up the trailer, I couldn't be happier with the towing and hookup procedure. Still getting used to the back in part, different than bumper pull. The trailer is less responsive to steering input and required a bit more forethought on intended direction. But I'll have lots of practice in the future.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote