2017 Chevy Colorado Diesel 2.8L - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #61

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
This is great info. I did notice that the curt product is much cheaper on the etrailer site.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...rt/C16000.html

And the Reese solution is more reasonable still. Anyone use either solution with the Anderson rails? I did just order the safety chain kit from Anderson.

BTW, I think I might be the OP for this thread. Reporting back, after picking up the trailer, I couldn't be happier with the towing and hookup procedure. Still getting used to the back in part, different than bumper pull. The trailer is less responsive to steering input and required a bit more forethought on intended direction. But I'll have lots of practice in the future.
drjenk, just to close the loop on this, I asked Anderson. They not only recommended the Reese solution, but sent me the exact link from etrailer. Mine came in Monday.

Thanks all once again for your patience with some of my embarrassing overlooks in this....
Old 03-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #62

drjenk, no edit button that I can see, so I can't cover up my laziness in not actually opening up your link. It's NOT the same as mine. Here's the link that takes you to the Reese product.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...0aAufJEALw_wcB
Old 03-20-2018, 12:49 AM   #63

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
drjenk, just to close the loop on this, I asked Anderson. They not only recommended the Reese solution, but sent me the exact link from etrailer. Mine came in Monday.

Thanks all once again for your patience with some of my embarrassing overlooks in this....
Hi,
Were you actually able to mount these, did they fit? I got the Reese solution and can't seem to get the pin through the rail and loop at the same time.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:59 PM   #64

Quote:
Hi,
Were you actually able to mount these, did they fit? I got the Reese solution and can't seem to get the pin through the rail and loop at the same time.
No, and thanks for the heads up. I just made the assumption that they would work - maybe lazily. I'll try as soon as Peg gets home from chorus practice...
Old 03-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #65

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Curt 16000 Safety Chain Loop

When I purchased my Reese universal rail kit I also purchased the Curt 16000 safety chain loop kit just assuming it would work.

I just now tried attaching either end to the loop. As expected the large hook went on just fine and though the small threaded horseshoe loop was a tight fit it. I was able to push it on and attach the chain. For once my assumption did not make a donkey out of me. Regardless how I end up attaching the chain set. Either end will fit either end.

Took my slide caliper and measured the Curt chain loop 5/8 inch for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Anderson_Safety_Chain_DSC_1917.jpg   Curt_16000_Safety_Chain_Loop_Kit.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:29 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
When I purchased my Reese universal rail kit I also purchased the Curt 16000 safety chain loop kit just assuming it would work.

I just now tried attaching either end to the loop. As expected the large hook went on just fine and though the small threaded horseshoe loop was a tight fit it. I was able to push it on and attach the chain. For once my assumption did not make a donkey out of me. Regardless how I end up attaching the chain set. Either end will fit either end.

Took my slide caliper and measured the Curt chain loop 5/8 inch for comparison.
Ok I will get the Curt loop kit, thanks
Old 03-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #67

Quote:
Hi,
Sorry drjenk, and hope you can return them. Maybe our rails are built differently. I just checked and mine were no problem at all. They have ~1/2" of up and own movement, but are quite secure.

And please don't sweat backing problems. With my CCLB Colorado, I have to plan ahead to "get back under" it while backing. No shame in taking multiple push/pulls to get where you want - those cars can wait a minute. The miracle vids you see of commercial tractor trailer backing DO require skill. But your wheel base ratios are actually harder to work with than theirs. You'll do fine...
Attached Thumbnails
reese safety clips installed 3.jpg   reese safety clips installed 2.jpg   reese safety clips installed 1.jpg  
Old 03-22-2018, 12:07 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
Sorry drjenk, and hope you can return them. Maybe our rails are built differently. I just checked and mine were no problem at all. They have ~1/2" of up and own movement, but are quite secure.

And please don't sweat backing problems. With my CCLB Colorado, I have to plan ahead to "get back under" it while backing. No shame in taking multiple push/pulls to get where you want - those cars can wait a minute. The miracle vids you see of commercial tractor trailer backing DO require skill. But your wheel base ratios are actually harder to work with than theirs. You'll do fine...

Wow I could not seem to figure that out, I tried every which way. I did initiate a return but ordered the other curt solution. I kinda wish I’d have waited a bit and tried again, I must have missed something. Anyway thanks for the pics.
Ya backing up a 5th definitely proving a bit different but I’ll get the hang of it. I also noticed I need to swing wider on turns, it likes to cut the corner more than a bumper pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #69

Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0
Today, I checked the slot in the rails with the Andersen safety chain and found that the bottom link of the chain can be dropped through the slot and fastened to the rail by inserting a pin. Is there a safety problem doing it this way?

Rick
lzcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:08 PM   #70

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
I do not see that as a problem given everything else is attached the same way.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:11 AM   #71

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzcamper View Post
Today, I checked the slot in the rails with the Andersen safety chain and found that the bottom link of the chain can be dropped through the slot and fastened to the rail by inserting a pin. Is there a safety problem doing it this way?
Doesn't sound bad, but if the chain is pulled in any direction other than straight up the end link will be forced to take bending force: the amount of force it can take that way will be much less than a straight pull, but unless the chain size is marginal that's still pretty secure. Unlike a conventional hitch arrangement, the safety chain in this case is not required to carry the weight of the trailer tongue (the box floor will be pummelled with that), only to keep the trailer from bouncing up right out of the box or going sideways through the box wall of rearward through the tailgate.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:39 AM   #72

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA 2019
Send a message via MSN to Kaujun Send a message via Yahoo to Kaujun
Chevy Colorado Crew cab short box 61.7"

Hello.

We are nubies, and need some assistance.

Rina and I have an Escape 5.0TA-2018 on order (Dec. delivery). We have a 2017 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab with Short bed pickup (duramax diesel). Love the truck!

Order sheet states we need 5'-4" (64") minimum bed. We are short 2.3"

Can I make the short bed work? Or - Do I need a sliding 5th wheel hitch ( extra weight and $), or do I need to upgrade our truck bed? (Which hitch should I look at, if we are recommending a sliding hitch). Hoping the Anderson could work because of weight.

PS thanks to Adrian, and Carl for showing Rina and I the escape 5.0TA, so much more room than the SCAMP.

Kaujun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:00 AM   #73

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaujun View Post
Hello.

We are nubies, and need some assistance.

Rina and I have an Escape 5.0TA-2018 on order (Dec. delivery). We have a 2017 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab with Short bed pickup (duramax diesel). Love the truck!

Order sheet states we need 5'-4" (64") minimum bed. We are short 2.3"

Can I make the short bed work? Or - Do I need a sliding 5th wheel hitch ( extra weight and $), or do I need to upgrade our truck bed? (Which hitch should I look at, if we are recommending a sliding hitch). Hoping the Anderson could work because of weight.

PS thanks to Adrian, and Carl for showing Rina and I the escape 5.0TA, so much more room than the SCAMP.

Hi: Kaujun... Google search towing 5th wheel with short box truck. There is a pin extender which bolts onto the pin/box to add an extra aprox. 8" of cab clearance. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote