2017 Chevy Colorado Diesel 2.8L - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2017, 02:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
2017 Chevy Colorado Diesel 2.8L

Hi,
We've just initiated an order for a 5.0 TA yesterday. Upon calling around today for a hitch installation (we live in Auburn WA), and calling my standard go-to shop for this type of thing, they got very confused and said they couldn't find a 5th wheel hitch for a Colorado. Being brand new to a 5th wheel system, I wasn't aware of the need for a specific solution for different models (the bracketry) to tie to the frame. I did call Escape, they have some info on a company called Trademasters in Chilliwak. I'm going to call them with my bed dimensions, but I thought I'd post here in the meantime to see if anyone has had success with hitching this truck and a 5.0 TA. I'll continue to search this forum as well.

Thanks
David J.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Trademasters and Colorado/Canyon Duramax

David, Trademasters has installed a fifth wheel hitch on the Colorado/Canyon Duramax platform using the standard rails with universal hardware. Very nice folks and just down the road from Escape Trailers. Given payload rating on this platform I would go with the Anderson Hitch. Tough but light in weight.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:13 PM   #3

Yes I did call them and that is likely the route we'll go. Thanks for the reply...
Old 09-20-2017, 08:28 PM   #4

Food for thought, last year October 2016 Morton Trailer Supply own by Tom & Kate Morton had the Anderson products on sale. If able you might want to wait to see if they do the same this year, they also have free shipping and they are Very Nice people!

https://mortontrailersupply.com/coll...eel-connection

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCir...xZZApeIe0a5-6Q
Old 09-21-2017, 06:29 PM   #5

Anderson On Sale

For those interested I have confirmed Morton Trailer Supply will have Anderson Hitch products on sale during Black Friday week this year.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
David, Trademasters has installed a fifth wheel hitch on the Colorado/Canyon Duramax platform using the standard rails with universal hardware. Very nice folks and just down the road from Escape Trailers. Given payload rating on this platform I would go with the Anderson Hitch. Tough but light in weight.
We're set up for late November for our 2018 Duramax, Z71, crew cab, 4wd, longbed. Trailmasters told us that they have done "many" Colorado's, which is enough for us.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:56 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
We are planning to have Trademasters install an Andersen Ultimate in our Canyon with exactly the same features on October 4.

I'll let you know how it goes.
gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmchamplin View Post
We are planning to have Trademasters install an Andersen Ultimate in our Canyon with exactly the same features on October 4.

Thx gmchamplin, and we'll hold you to it. (BTW, nice forum pic).

We were admittedly anxious, because GM/Chevy wants to have it both ways. They don't mention 5th wheel/goose neck towing at all (which they do for 2500's and up), but don't say no to it. And until recently, they included a 5th wheel trailer hitch lock in the official "build and price" for 2017 and 2018 Canyon's/Colorado's. But too many happy campers reporting into the fora, and Trademasters seems sanguine and experienced, and the benefits of towing with a parkable, driveable, less hoggy, mid size were too good to pass up for us.

We'll be taking the emissions buy out on our 2012 Golf TDI in a couple of weeks, and will experiment with getting by with the Colorado, a BMW Dakar 650, an electric recumbent tandem, bikes, busses, and shoes. No work to go to, so we'll see.....
Old 09-22-2017, 08:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Yeah, Kent. Over 100# of added payload v conventional hitch. That's 2 little grand kids and SOME of their ****....
Old 09-22-2017, 09:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
Thanks for the compliment on the picture. I think I need to add a signature with my wife's name in it. We're in this together.

Quote:
We'll be taking the emissions buy out on our 2012 Golf TDI in a couple of weeks, ...
We just did the same with a 2011 Jetta TDI. Too good to pass up, and VW is abandoning their diesels. Too bad - we've had VW diesels since the 1979 Rabbit.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:45 AM   #11

Yes please do. We've scheduled the same thing for 10/13. I'll post back. They didn't seem to think it was going to be a big deal, and they're right down the road from Escape. So we're going to use that day to finalize our build sheet in person for our Feb 1 2018 delivery.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:47 AM   #12

Funny I did the same thing last year with my 2015 golf. I got 100% of my money back. I had an '06 Jetta before that until I got sideswiped. It is too bad, they were great automobiles.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #13

Quote:

Don't forget to take pictures and upload here! Anticipating your report!
Old 10-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:

We were admittedly anxious, because GM/Chevy wants to have it both ways. They don't mention 5th wheel/goose neck towing at all (which they do for 2500's and up), but don't say no to it. And until recently, they included a 5th wheel trailer hitch lock in the official "build and price" for 2017 and 2018 Canyon's/Colorado's. But too many happy campers reporting into the fora, and Trademasters seems sanguine and experienced, and the benefits of towing with a parkable, driveable, less hoggy, mid size were too good to pass up for us.

We'll be taking the emissions buy out on our 2012 Golf TDI in a couple of weeks, and will experiment with getting by with the Colorado, a BMW Dakar 650, an electric recumbent tandem, bikes, busses, and shoes. No work to go to, so we'll see.....
Peg and Bob

Nice to see someone who knows their Latin

We're considering buying a 5.0TA and if we didn't already have a B&W Patriot hitch we would consider getting the Anderson.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:37 PM   #15

I went to Trademasters today and had them install the Anderson Ultimate in my 2016 Canyon with a 6 foot bed. There were no problems and it took less than four hours. I provided the hitch and they provided the rails and brackets. I also had them install a 7-pin outlet in the bed.

Parts and labor for the hitch install were $531, parts and labor for the wiring was $191, and shop supplies and taxes brought the total up to $850 Canadian.

Here are the pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4111.jpg   IMG_4113.jpg   IMG_4112.jpg   IMG_4114.jpg  
Old 10-04-2017, 10:45 PM   #16

Awesome! I'm glad the 7 pin adapter will fit as I was concerned about that. Thank you so much for the pictures. Now can't wait to see your 5.0 hitched up!

Question, I see you have the BAK tonneau cover. I'm trying to decide on which cover to put on my 2018 Canyon. I assume your tonneau cover will not be in the way when folded all the way forward?
Old 10-04-2017, 11:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Now can't wait to see your 5.0 hitched up!
Me too! Tomorrow.

Quote:
Question, I see you have the BAK tonneau cover. I'm trying to decide on which cover to put on my 2018 Canyon. I assume your tonneau cover will not be in the way when folded all the way forward?
I'm sure it will be out of the way when it is all the way up, as shown in the picture. But that will also block all view out the rear window. I'm hoping I can get away with it folded to the last section and flat, but that may limit turns too much. I will find out in the morning, and try to post more pictures.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Can you put a B&W hidden ball in a Colorado and end up with a flat bed with no rails?
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #19

Trademasters say "no".
Old 10-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Trademasters say "no".
Did TM say why? If they did and if the answer was because of the frame being blocked by wire, lines, gismos, then what is holding your rails down? I could probably figure this out on my own, but you know for sure.

Time to review my e mail trail from TM. I might have read lazily and missed something...