2018 f150 and 21' escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #1

Trailer: None
2018 f150 and 21' escape

Hey ya'll. (Ok... I'm from Charleston, SC and that's how we talk) This is my first post in this awesome forum and am anticipating some very helpful answers. My wife and I are retired and are anxiously looking forward to purchasing our FIRST camper.

We have a 2018, Ford F150, 2.7 L, v6 EcoBoost and am wondering if this will be sufficient to pull this 21'Escape all over the US on our adventures. It's rated at only 5k trailer tow without the towing package (which we don't have) however it does have a class iv hitch and I plan on putting in a transmission oil cooler and brake controller. This almost is the whole trailer tow package except for the high capacity radiator fan so I know I can pull more than the 5k recommended without the trailer tow. I've done my research.... however, this 2.7L ....is an excellent engine putting out about 325hp... will it suffice?

What do you guys think? Am I ok with this engine and package.

Thanks for all your help.
Mjmazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjmazza View Post
Hey ya'll. (Ok... I'm from Charleston, SC and that's how we talk) This is my first post in this awesome forum and am anticipating some very helpful answers. My wife and I are retired and are anxiously looking forward to purchasing our FIRST camper.

We have a 2018, Ford F150, 2.7 L, v6 EcoBoost and am wondering if this will be sufficient to pull this 21'Escape all over the US on our adventures. It's rated at only 5k trailer tow without the towing package (which we don't have) however it does have a class iv hitch and I plan on putting in a transmission oil cooler and brake controller. This almost is the whole trailer tow package except for the high capacity radiator fan so I know I can pull more than the 5k recommended without the trailer tow. I've done my research.... however, this 2.7L ....is an excellent engine putting out about 325hp... will it suffice?

I won't speak to the package, but you will have plenty of engine power. I have the 2017 F-150 crew cab 5.5' bed with the same 2.7L and a 2018 21' trailer. I had excess power everywhere I went for 5000 miles including through the rocky mountains. In fact, on one of the steeper grades I had no trouble increasing speed 10mph.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
I won't speak to the package, but you will have plenty of engine power. I have the 2017 F-150 crew cab 5.5' bed with the same 2.7L and a 2018 21' trailer. I had excess power everywhere I went for 5000 miles including through the rocky mountains. In fact, on one of the steeper grades I had no trouble increasing speed 10mph.
I thought that this was useful:

We are likely going with the 2.7L Ecoboost to tow our Escape 21.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is a yellow sticked on your drivers door jamb with some important numbers, particularly the carrying capacity, that info would be helpful and welcome to our little world....
Old 08-16-2018, 12:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
We have a 2018, Ford F150, 2.7 L, v6 EcoBoost and am wondering if this will be sufficient to pull this 21'Escape all over the US on our adventures. It's rated at only 5k trailer tow without the towing package (which we don't have) however it does have a class iv hitch and I plan on putting in a transmission oil cooler and brake controller. This almost is the whole trailer tow package except for the high capacity radiator fan so I know I can pull more than the 5k recommended without the trailer tow.
You have covered at least some of the towing package contents, and may have handled the powertrain load issues (although the fan capacity is significant, and I don't know if there are other factors, such as final drive ratio, that are still not right), but you haven't changed the payload capacity of the truck. I'm sure the truck is more than adequate for an Escape 21' (which needs to be under 5,000 pounds to stay within the trailer's GVWR anyway), but please watch the total of your passenger, cargo, and hitch load to stay within the truck's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and the rear Gross Axle Weight Rating. That shouldn't be a problem, but it can be if you carry a lot of stuff. The tongue weight alone of a 21' can use up almost half of the available payload of some pickups, although this is more typically a concern for 5.0TA owners.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Payload, payload, payload. Sticker on the drivers door jamb will tell it all.

As an F150 owner myself, Ford payloads are all over the map. They can be miserably low, or quite high. The low ones will not have enough payload for you to stay with the limit. Now it’s not like the truck will ass-plode the moment you cross that number.

The more options on your truck, the lower the payload. Every option comes out of payload, including 4 wheel drive.

Ford actually has three different thicknesses of steel on F150 frames so the highest payload models are built much differently. There are many other differences as well.

My V8 F150 has a 9,800 pound tow rating but I run out of payload around 5,500 pounds (heavily optioned truck). It’s frustrating!!

I’ve always bought used so I have been stuck with whatever the original owner bought. My next truck will very likely be new.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I have the 2017 F150 2.7 mine has the tow features. I tow a 5.0 TA. I do have to watch my payload. But it tows over mountains easily no issues with power. I think I'm rated to tow 7-7500.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:

I believe you will be fine with your truck as long as you keep within your payload limit. This assumes your hitch is part of what Ford calls the 53B hitch package. The 53A tow package has no more trans oil cooling than the 53B although Fords literature would make you think it does. You can always add an oil to air cooler if needed but you may already have more cooling than you realized. Of course you will need to add a brake controller,

2018 F150 Owners Manual Revision 4
Page 302
Footnote #3 - Medium Duty Trailer Tow Package Class IV Trailer Hitch (This is 53B), Max Trailer Weights by Engine : 2.7L, 3.3L - 6000 lb / 3.0L, 3.5L, 5.0L - 7000 lb.

The 53B has the same part numbers for Trans Cooler, Radiator and Fans as a 53A. Your dealer can run the VIN on both.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I would only add that the installation of a transmission cooler or other aftermarket accessories does not change the published capacities of the vehicle.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:23 AM   #10

Trailer: None
Thank you!

All of these answers have been extremely helpful. We are going to look at a nearby 2015 21' Escape this afternoon. I believe I will add the transmission oil cooler, if my hitch guy deems it necessary when I take the truck over to him. Definitely the brake controller. We hope to make the drive to Chilliwack in the spring, once the weather breaks, to pick up our new and first travel trailer.

We hope to see everyone at one of the upcoming rallies.

Mjmazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Our new 2019 Escape will be completed in 2019 but will sit for awhile until we pick it up in May on our way toe the Escape Rally in Osoyoos,BC, about 3 hours away from Chilliwack. If you order one for 2019, Escape will store it for free for 3 months and your warranty does not start until you pick it up. But you need to reserve your pickup date soon, that week before the rally fills up fast, our date is that Tuesday in the morning and then we head to Osoyoos.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Our date is that Tuesday in the morning and then we head to Osoyoos.
I'll alert the authorities.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote