2019 Ford Ranger - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2019, 12:14 AM   #111

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The single most controversial aspect of the new Ranger is likely the 2.3 L four-cylinder turbocharged engine (which is, at least initially, the only engine offered). If this engine and the 10-speed transmission turn out to be desirable, some people who prefer an SUV body style (and multilink independent rear suspension, and unibody) may be interested in the new 2020 Explorer (which actually will be new, not just new-to-North-America or newly restyle), as it will have the same transmission and nearly the same engine (just a bit different tune) as one of the available engines.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:15 AM   #112

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
So the Explorer is returning to rwd ? My understanding is that the current Explorer is fwd...

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #113

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Yes it is but max towing offered is 5600 lbs. Was hoping for more
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
So the Explorer is returning to rwd ? My understanding is that the current Explorer is fwd...
True. The current Explorer is on a platform (CD4) which is FWD or optionally AWD; the 2020 Explorer will use a a platform (CD6-longitudinal) which is RWD or optionally AWD. Other than the new one being a unibody, the 2020 Explorer will be very much like the fourth generation (20062010 model years) Explorer in configuration and design.

Sorry for the Explorer sidetrack to the Ranger topic... it's really only the shared engine/transmission combination which makes it relevant.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #115

interesting, they are bringing back the Bronco too, as an SUV built on this new Ranger, to be introduced for the 2021 MY.

I'm not a fan of towing with IRS multilink suspensions, it puts a lot of strain and stress on all those joints, vs a classic live axle RWD arrangement where the two drive wheels are forced to be parallel by the axle. Sure, I know IRS/Multilink gives a much sweeter ride when you're not towing (my daily driver is a Mercedes 300CE, one of the very first cars with true multilink when the 124 series E class was introduced in 1986, its like a magic carpet ride vs my prior volvo 740 wagon, which was live axle RWD)
2006 Yellow Lab (Maggie... RIP Feb 2019 )
Old 01-11-2019, 06:18 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
interesting, they are bringing back the Bronco too, as an SUV built on this new Ranger, to be introduced for the 2021 MY.

I'm not a fan of towing with IRS multilink suspensions, it puts a lot of strain and stress on all those joints, vs a classic live axle RWD arrangement where the two drive wheels are forced to be parallel by the axle.
Although IRS is strong enough for heavy military vehicles, this preference for a beam axle suspension in light trucks is common... and it is simpler. Once the next generation GM full-size SUVs are in production (2020 model year), the only beam axle light vehicles left available in North America will be pickup trucks, commercial vans, the Toyota 4Runner/GX, and the Jeep Wrangler (which has them at both ends)... unless there is something else so obscure that I can't think of it. For a small portion of the market, this is a reason to buy a pickup truck.

As far as suspension is concerned, the "new" Ranger is thoroughly conventional for a pickup truck, which means double-wishbone front suspension, and a beam rear axle on leaf springs.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:27 PM   #117

yeah, ok, true, some military trucks are IRS, hah. my son has a M925A1 5-ton 6x6, it can tow like 26000 lbs GVW on top of its own 26000 GVWR, but that uses beam axles, like these...

2006 Yellow Lab (Maggie... RIP Feb 2019 )
Old 02-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #118

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
The Ranger, like the Canyon/Colorado, probably can come with the factory installed 3500# hitch including a 7/4 pin connector. The GMs have an integrated electric brake controller on the dash and the diesels have an exhaust break.
The segment for these less than full sized trucks will be adding a Jeep Gladiator. I'm hoping that with increased competition the options get better and the prices get lower. Both Ranger and an GM can approach $40K US.
We bought the 2015 Canyon (gas) to tow a Scamp 19 which it did nicely and because it fits in the garage. It has a tougher time with the 5.0TA. and a '19 diesel is on order.
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:02 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnjudy View Post
The Ranger, like the Canyon/Colorado, probably can come with the factory installed 3500# hitch including a 7/4 pin connector.
No need to guess.

A standard feature of all trim levels (XL, XLT, Lariat) listed in the models and specifications (bizarrely shown under "Power and Handling" although it is related to neither) is
Quote:
Trailer Towing - 4-pin wiring, ball mounting provisions in rear bumper
To get a proper hitch, there is the Trailer Tow Package
Quote:
With the Trailer Tow Package the Ranger can tow up to 7,500 lbs and includes a 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness and class IV trailer hitch receiver.
Since this is a package in the online build, it should be factory-installed, but could be dealer-installed (with the installation cost included in the US$495 package price).

Based on the recent Subaru Ascent discussion, I'm tempted to start a rumour that that this is only a 1-1/4" receiver, 'because that's the size they use in Australia where this truck was designed'. Just kidding - it will obviously be 2".

I didn't see an indication of the towing capacity of the bumper-as-hitch, but I hope no one would plan to use that anyway (if only because the height is not likely correct for the trailer, even if it has enough capacity).

Quote:
The GMs have an integrated electric brake controller on the dash and the diesels have an exhaust break.
Advantage to GM here, as the Ranger apparently doesn't have an integrated controller available (Ford would list it if there were); we can only hope that the Trailer Tow Package includes suitable pre-wiring under the dash for an aftermarket controller.

No diesel in a Ranger (yet), so the exhaust brake doesn't apply. It will be interesting to see how the 2.3 litre engine works for engine braking on grade descents; the EcoBoost 3.5 in the F-150 has been criticised in this forum for inadequate engine braking.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:41 PM   #120

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
The GMs have an integrated electric brake controller on the dash and the diesels have an exhaust break.
The integrated electric brake controller on the dash only comes with the diesels