2019 Ford Ranger - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #121

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
The integrated brake controller on the GM Twins comes with the tow package for 2018, including gas models. I have a 2018 GMC Canyon gas, and it has the tow/haul mode and the integrated brake controller. Prior to 2018 the integrated brake controller was only available on the diesels
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:44 PM   #122

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I just did an online build of a Canyon 3.6L V6 4WD Extended Cab and it let me choose the US$230 integrated brake controller, although (understandably) it required the "trailering" package (US$250)... and automatic locking rear differential (US$325). Between two brands, multiple trim levels, two cabs, two wheelbases, three engines, 2WD and 4WD, and many optional packages, there are a huge number of combinations possible. Some may not allow the integrated brake controller.

With only one engine, one transmission, and one wheelbase, the Ranger will be easier to configure... but still no integrated trailer brake controller.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #123

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
I guess what I meant to say is the integrated brake controller is available on the 2018 GMC Twins with the gas engine. Prior to 2018 it was not even an option for the gas, you could only get it with the diesel. You likely have to configure it with other options, but at least you can now get it with the gas engine
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:18 PM   #124

Trailer: ?
The Ranger is proving to be very popular.

"DETROIT — Ford Motor Co. expects a total of 1,200 U.S. Ranger sales in January — the revived midsize pickup's first month on sale — and plans to start running overtime shifts at its Michigan Assembly Plant next week to keep up with demand.

Kumar Galhotra, Ford's president of North America, on Wednesday said the Ranger is exceeding expectations, and that about 300,000 consumers already have indicated plans to purchase the vehicle."
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:11 PM   #125

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
I guess what I meant to say is the integrated brake controller is available on the 2018 GMC Twins with the gas engine. Prior to 2018 it was not even an option for the gas, you could only get it with the diesel. You likely have to configure it with other options, but at least you can now get it with the gas engine

Guess I bought 2 years too early
Old 02-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #126

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
On this Ranger test drive video it mentions the truck with a brake controller installed from 4:10 to 5:01:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=ZwF_Csz3FrA

This should be the Redarc brand which is an Australian company but the brake controller is available on etrailer.com:

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...BRH-ACCV2.html

The Ford dealership near me didn't know anything about this controller even though a couple of test drive videos say it's available through Ford services and you can order through them. I also couldn't find anything on Ford website. Worst case I could buy it from etrailer.com and either have the dealership install it for me or do the install myself. There are a couple youtube videos on how to install this Redarc brake controller.
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:32 PM   #127

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
https://www.etrailer.com/question-337036.html
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Guess I bought 2 years too early
It's all part of a nefarious scheme to get you to trade in for a new truck every two years.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:12 AM   #129

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
the EcoBoost 3.5 in the F-150 has been criticised in this forum for inadequate engine braking.
Not a problem with the 2.7 as far as we've found, in fact the first time I was going around 50kmh and encountered a steep hill with curve at bottom (a lakeside road) when I touched the brakes as started down the hill transmission dropped to second and first thought I had a problem when I slowed so quickly and the high revs.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Not a problem with the 2.7 as far as we've found, in fact the first time I was going around 50kmh and encountered a steep hill with curve at bottom (a lakeside road) when I touched the brakes as started down the hill transmission dropped to second and first thought I had a problem when I slowed so quickly and the high revs.

Good! I suspect that some drivers are just not willing to allow a high enough engine speed for effective braking, so they don't take advantage of the capability.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:47 PM   #131

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Ranger video

James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:20 PM   #132

Trailer: ?
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...ma-comparison/

An interesting comparison of the mid- sized trucks

The Executive Summary.

“Our unanimous winner for best midsize pickup truck is the Chevrolet Colorado. The Colorado so effortlessly walks the fine line between being a lifestyle pickup and a work truck. It has plenty of power for work or play, a buttoned-down ride that doesn't beat you up on your daily commute, a good back-seat package, and an incredibly functional bed. It's the uncompromised pickup—the one that drives like a compact but hauls like a heavy-duty. "It's like these guys are truck-building experts or something," Evans deadpanned. "Not hard to remember why this is a two-time Truck of the Year." No, it's not. As for how it measures up to the (Jeep) Gladiator in the arena? We're as eager as you are to find out.“
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:52 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...ma-comparison/

An interesting comparison of the mid- sized trucks
The two most interesting items in the comparison results to me were:
  1. the Ranger's relatively small turbocharged 4-cylinder engine - the source of much speculative concern - is the winning engine (even though the Colorado accelerates more quickly); and,
  2. the Ranger was criticized for showing its age (and they acknowledge that while new to North America it has been around for several years)... but the Ranger's design is the same age as the Colorado, for which they had no such criticism.

Perhaps if GM put their turbo four (a 2.7 L which is becoming available in the Silverado 1500) in the Colorado, they would have a complete winner.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:18 PM   #134
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
And perhaps if "Motor Trend" wasn't in the tank for GM... [emoji6]
Old 02-07-2019, 10:33 PM   #135

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
And perhaps if "Motor Trend" wasn't in the tank for GM... [emoji6]

Or whichever manufacturer buys the most advertising.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:48 PM   #136
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Or whichever manufacturer buys the most advertising.
[emoji106]truth.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #137

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The two most interesting items in the comparison results to me were:
  1. the Ranger's relatively small turbocharged 4-cylinder engine - the source of much speculative concern - is the winning engine (even though the Colorado accelerates more quickly); and,
  2. the Ranger was criticized for showing its age (and they acknowledge that while new to North America it has been around for several years)... but the Ranger's design is the same age as the Colorado, for which they had no such criticism.

Perhaps if GM put their turbo four (a 2.7 L which is becoming available in the Silverado 1500) in the Colorado, they would have a complete winner.
🤔Or if Ford put their 2.7 EcoBoost in the Ranger
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #138

Trailer: none
Looks like the small pickup competition is heating up:

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/fiat-ch...figure-out-how
Old 03-08-2019, 10:48 PM   #139

Although I have yet to see one on the road, 2019 Rangers have arrived here. I had a look at one in a showroom. The sales guy said that they are only getting them as loaded Lariats (and here in Canada the Ranger is 4X4 only), so these are CA$50K trucks; he says he doesn't expect many people to pay that for this truck, instead of getting a loaded 4X4 F-150 XLT for the same price. So much for the CA$30K pickup (which would be a base XL), which apparently isn't profitable for the dealership to sell.

The first thing that I noted about the truck itself is that the rear seat (of the crew cab) doesn't fold. The base lifts for access to a couple of small storage bins and the spare tire lowering tool, and apparently can be held up with a strap, but it doesn't really get out of the way. If I wanted to carry stuff back there (cargo, or even a dog crate), I would get out the wrenches and remove the seat (base and back) entirely.

I downloaded the owners manual (which was not available the previous time that I checked), and it turns out that the rear seat back folds down... but the stack of folded seating would be very tall, and the manual says:
Quote:
Note: Do not use the rear surface of the rear seat backrest as a load floor.
So, why fold it? Since we don't need seating for more than two, and would only carry pets and some cargo in the back of the cab, I would just take the whole thing out, wrap it in plastic, and chuck it in the attic until it was time to sell the truck. And fit a carpet-covered plywood panel to provide a flat load floor.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:18 AM   #140

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
Ranger reviews

There are other consistently mediocre reviews; TFL and Edmonds on You Tube. The latest being Ford having to possibly walk back the stated fuel mileage estimates after real world testing. 20-24 mpg for a midsize 4wd isn't very economical. Reviewers also didn't like the low tech infotainment system for the $ being charged. Maybe in 2021.
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote