2019 Ford Ranger - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #161

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Even though you don't have to remove the wheel. Still does not sound easy.

Glad all I have to do is open the hood to change my oil and oil filter.
You still have to crawl underneath to do 50% of the work....
Old 05-21-2019, 01:49 AM   #162

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I jut saw it on a television ad, where it appeared it could be a Mazda.
In the pic I posted, it looks a bit more rugged.

Just saw the TV ad again. It's an ad for a Blazer, not a Bronco.
Still looks like a Mazda. GM clogging up the market.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #163

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I've heard of this issue, but it wouldn't bother me. It would probably be easier to jack up one corner to pull the wheel than to lift the whole front end enough to get underneath, and oil filters typically require removing an access panel now, due to the extensive aerodynamic undertrays used on modern vehicles.

I doubt that there is a Ford-specific screw head in existence, but servicing a vehicle does often require a good selection of tools, including (for instance) Torx drivers.
My first thought Brian would be how would you take it to a quick oil change place like Mr. Lube, I can't see them pulling a wheel to change oil.

Having had a new '92 Ranger and thinking when got our first 5.0 it would have been nice had Rangers still been sold, I was somewhat looking forward to the new Ranger (although we're perfectly happy with our F-150). Just last week saw the first one, next to an F-150 at a dealer, boy did it look small. Then looked at the window sticker. $48K, unbelievable.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #164

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post

I was somewhat looking forward to the new Ranger (although we're perfectly happy with our F-150). Just last week saw the first one, next to an F-150 at a dealer, boy did it look small. Then looked at the window sticker. $48K, unbelievable.
That really is the bottom line. I'm so happy with my F150 and after years of waiting for the new Ranger I'm glad that I ended up with the F150.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #165

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I too was wanting the Ranger (to go with my 5.0 - orientation June 14, 2019). After finding too many concessions with the Ranger (5th wheel mount, tiny rear seat, uncertain power) I opted for a 2015 F150 with the 3.5. Barely but it does fit in my garage. We took it on a 360 mile trip last week, averaged mid 20 mpg both going and on the return, we were empty going and had a few hundred pounds in the back returning. So far love the trucks ride, power (haven't towed yet), and build quality.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I too was wanting the Ranger (to go with my 5.0 - orientation June 14, 2019). After finding too many concessions with the Ranger (5th wheel mount, tiny rear seat, uncertain power) I opted for a 2015 F150 with the 3.5. Barely but it does fit in my garage. We took it on a 360 mile trip last week, averaged mid 20 mpg both going and on the return, we were empty going and had a few hundred pounds in the back returning. So far love the trucks ride, power (haven't towed yet), and build quality.
You will enjoy towing with it Ronn. We only have the 2.7 and we have plenty of power. I don't know what plans you have for camping this summer after your trip home from Chilliwack but there's a mini FG rally at New Ulm the weekend after Labour Day. We are going. Will give you more info if interested.

Speaking of fitting in garage, mine does barely lengthwise but I have a very low door and fortunately have a gravel floor and drive which I dug down to fit. Our last F150 was a 2wd and lower.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:05 PM   #167

Quote:
You will enjoy towing with it Ronn. We only have the 2.7 and we have plenty of power. I don't know what plans you have for camping this summer after your trip home from Chilliwack but there's a mini FG rally at New Ulm the weekend after Labour Day. We are going. Will give you more info if interested.

Speaking of fitting in garage, mine does barely lengthwise but I have a very low door and fortunately have a gravel floor and drive which I dug down to fit. Our last F150 was a 2wd and lower.
Hi Adrian, We are planning 3 weeks for our return from Chilliwack. We will be at the Inyan (South Dakota) Rally, but I don't think we will try to make the New Ulm rally as we have a non-rally 3 week trip planned for the end of July. We have made reservations for the Mississippi Rally and the Outer Banks rally, hope to see you there as well.
With the garage the trucks antenna hitting the door when we go in and out still scares us. It is also quite tight fit front to rear as well as on both sides (our other car is a full size), but it works for us.
Plan to see you at Inyan, I believe NW Cat Owner has reservations there as well, but she hasn't posted for awhile on the forum.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:04 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
With the garage the trucks antenna hitting the door when we go in and out still scares us. It is also quite tight fit front to rear as well as on both sides (our other car is a full size), but it works for us.
Plan to see you at Inyan, I believe NW Cat Owner has reservations there as well, but she hasn't posted for awhile on the forum.
Ronn I had to tie back the antenna to get through the door but ended up buying a "stubby" one so don't have to do that anymore.

NW Cat Owner posted on FGRV forum that she's had to cancel her eastern trip so guess she won't be at Inyan. See you there.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:15 PM   #169

Quote:
Ronn I had to tie back the antenna to get through the door but ended up buying a "stubby" one so don't have to do that anymore.
I just may look into that option, it only catches by a couple inches, but it still gives us a startle when it "snaps".
Quote:
NW Cat Owner posted on FGRV forum that she's had to cancel her eastern trip so guess she won't be at Inyan. See you there.
That is too bad, I was hoping to meet her.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:29 PM   #170

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Just saw the TV ad again. It's an ad for a Blazer, not a Bronco.
Still looks like a Mazda. GM clogging up the market.
The Blazer is just the Chevrolet-branded variant of the GMC Acadia and Cadillac XT5. The Blazer/Acadia/XT5 and larger Chevrolet Traverse / Buick Enclave / Cadillac XT6 are all based on the same platform. The seemingly endless variations of vehicles in this format (typically called a "crossover") are being created to fill every possible size and equipment niche in this currently fashionable format... at every manufacturer, and generally at the expense of less-fashionable (but often more sensible) formats such as sedans, lower-profile hatchbacks and wagons, and minivans.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:34 PM   #171

Quote:
My first thought Brian would be how would you take it to a quick oil change place like Mr. Lube, I can't see them pulling a wheel to change oil..
If the belief (valid or not) that removing a wheel is required for an oil change keeps anyone from entrusting their vehicle to any place like Mr. Lube, that's actually a great feature. Friends don't let friends take their vehicles to quick oil change places. My Toyota dealer charges no more than the quick lube places, but they know what they're doing and use OEM parts; it's similar with other brands.

Quote:
Having had a new '92 Ranger and thinking when got our first 5.0 it would have been nice had Rangers still been sold, I was somewhat looking forward to the new Ranger (although we're perfectly happy with our F-150). Just last week saw the first one, next to an F-150 at a dealer, boy did it look small. Then looked at the window sticker. $48K, unbelievable.
There are multiple aspects to this problem:
  • an ever-increasing level of sophistication is expected of vehicles, so they get more expensive
  • not much of the cost is closely tied to the vehicle size, so a Ranger is almost as expensive as a similarly-equipped F-150 (the reason that Ford resisted bringing the Ranger back for so long), and
  • dealers are only carrying the more highly equipped and thus more profitable trims.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:41 PM   #172

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Last time I went to Mr. Lube the pimple faced kid rounded off the drain plug and couldn't remove it to change the oil. Had to take it to the Subaru dealer for a proper oil change and a new plug.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:25 PM   #173

Quote:
Last time I went to Mr. Lube the pimple faced kid rounded off the drain plug and couldn't remove it to change the oil. Had to take it to the Subaru dealer for a proper oil change and a new plug.
You got lucky, because the kid's incompetence left him unable to improperly tighten your drain plug, or forget to put in back in at all.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #174
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Most of those quick lube places use oil suckers in the dipstick and don't even pull the plug. they're also very sloppy and infamous for lying and showing you bogus stuff that they claim needs doing. I have my own oil sucker which I use in on my older Mercedes, but my truck requires a proper oil dump from the drain plug so I installed a Fujama oil drain valve. 14 quarts later the truck's happy
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:11 PM   #175

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Ain't no pimple face kid gonna touch my truck. I change my own damn oil! Plus the fuel filter, air filter and the rear diff fluid, by God! Yeah. Hey I got the tools I got the time why not do it myself. Save a few bucks
Old 05-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #176

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
Ain't no pimple face kid gonna touch my truck. I change my own damn oil! Plus the fuel filter, air filter and the rear diff fluid, by God! Yeah. Hey I got the tools I got the time why not do it myself. Save a few bucks
I’ve done the same for years. That’s the only way you can control the quality of the products and know for certain what’s been used.
Ever go to a quickie oil change place and order 0W-20 then wonder what the stoner actually put in? Or did he really change the oil at all or just wipe the filter clean? Do you check?
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #177

I must be totally honest. I don't change the oil or anything else on my car. I don't have a lift and it would be difficult to get on stands. I have a place that has the best reputation around. The guys there are real professionals and the owner is a person of unquestioned character. I change the oil about ever 1500-2000 miles which is about every 1 1/2 years. Glenn has seen pictures of the car and I'm sure he understands my dilemma.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0013.jpg  
Old 05-23-2019, 12:51 AM   #178

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
I’ve done the same for years. That’s the only way you can control the quality of the products and know for certain what’s been used.
Ever go to a quickie oil change place and order 0W-20 then wonder what the stoner actually put in? Or did he really change the oil at all or just wipe the filter clean? Do you check?
When we bought our new Subaru it came with free oil changes . I would mark the filter , it is on top in engine compartment . But I couldn't understand why the oil looked dirty . So I decided enough bought my oil at dealer and started changing my own . Decovered they also didn't change the crush ring on the bolt either . I used different dealers too . Interesting when I changed the oil it was lighter . What free oil changes ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:42 AM   #179
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
I must be totally honest. I don't change the oil or anything else on my car. I don't have a lift and it would be difficult to get on stands. I have a place that has the best reputation around. The guys there are real professionals and the owner is a person of unquestioned character. I change the oil about ever 1500-2000 miles which is about every 1 1/2 years. Glenn has seen pictures of the car and I'm sure he understands my dilemma.
I have a couple early 1990s Mercedes, they are designed to use a topside oil sucker to fully evacuate the used oil. you put the hose down the dip-stick tube and suck away... the filter is changed topside too, easy as can be.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I have a couple early 1990s Mercedes, they are designed to use a topside oil sucker to fully evacuate the used oil. you put the hose down the dip-stick tube and suck away... the filter is changed topside too, easy as can be.

Boy, I appreciate that info! It cost me a bunch to get the oil changed. I'm gonna have to do some research on "oil suckers". The thing might pay for itself. I think I'm up to 30,000 miles on mine. It's seven years old and long past warranty. My plan is that it will be part of my estate. I just hope I can keep it looking as good as you've kept yours