2019 Ford Ranger - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2018, 11:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
2019 Ford Ranger

Not sure if anyone has posted this, but the specs for the 2019 Ford ranger have been released. The midsize 2019 Ford Ranger makes 270 horsepower and a best-in-gas-class 310 pound-feet of torque. It has a 10 speed trans with a 3.73 rear gear ratio capable of towing up to 7,500 pounds with the proper towing package and trailer brake controller. Also having up to a maximum payload of 1,860 pounds. Ford says that the towing number is for either 4x4 or 4x2 configurations and the payload number is for a SuperCab 4x2 truck.

James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 10/5/18 ordered a 5.0 TA due June of 2019.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gang View Post
Not sure if anyone has posted this, but the specs for the 2019 Ford ranger have been released. The midsize 2019 Ford Ranger makes 270 horsepower and a best-in-gas-class 310 pound-feet of torque. It has a 10 speed trans with a 3.73 rear gear ratio capable of towing up to 7,500 pounds with the proper towing package and trailer brake controller. Also having up to a maximum payload of 1,860 pounds. Ford says that the towing number is for either 4x4 or 4x2 configurations and the payload number is for a SuperCab 4x2 truck.
Thanks Barton, I have been impatiently waiting for these specs to come out. I was hoping that the Ranger's "best in class torque" would be nearer the Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon DIESEL's at 369 lbs. I have seen on here that the GM mid size pickups with the V6 developing 300 hp and 270 lbs torque was a little weak towing the 5.0TA. Thanks again for posting, it will be interesting to hear other's opinions on the torque issue.
Ronn

Old 10-08-2018, 12:39 AM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Ford has "future vehicle" web pages for the 2019 Ranger (Canada, U.S.), but without specs. You can Build & Price it, but you can't see detailed specs.

There are lots of articles triggered by Ford's recent release of information. Some examples:
TheDrive: 2019 Ford Ranger Power and Towing Specs Revealed
CarBuzz: Here Are The Official Truck Guy Specs For The 2019 Ford Ranger
Motor Authority: 2019 Ford Ranger throws down the gauntlet with best-in-class torque, towing, payload
All of these list those values of 270 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque, but none provide corresponding engine speeds, so Ford presumably didn't release those. The Mustang's version of the 2.3 EcoBoost produces 310 hp @ 5,500 rpm and 350 lb.-ft. @ 3,000 rpm, so presumably the Ranger's lower values come in at lower speeds.

The 2.7 L turbo 4-cylinder which will be available in the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado (their full-size pickup) is rated at 310 horsepower (at unknown engine speed) and 348 lb-ft of torque from 1500 rpm to 4000 rpm. The Ranger's values are a bit higher per unit displacement, so they'll probably come at only slightly higher speeds.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I was hoping that the Ranger's "best in class torque" would be nearer the Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon DIESEL's at 369 lbs. I have seen on here that the GM mid size pickups with the V6 developing 300 hp and 270 lbs torque was a little weak towing the 5.0TA. Thanks again for posting, it will be interesting to hear other's opinions on the torque issue.
The Colorado's gas V6 isn't weak - it beats the diesel up the grade in the Ike Gauntlet tests, as expected given the gas engine's higher power output. The engine speeds for peak torque and power are higher for the gas engine than for the diesel, so higher speeds must be used to get that improved performance.

The Ranger's turbocharged engine will tend to higher torque at lower speeds than a non-turbocharged engine with otherwise similar output. Although it has lower peak torque than the Colorado's (larger) diesel engine, using a lower gear will increase torque to the wheels and I expect that the Ranger will win any contest of accelerating, or of towing or hauling up a grade (if you let it run at the engine speed that it needs to).
Old 10-08-2018, 01:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 10/5/18 ordered a 5.0 TA due June of 2019.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The Colorado's gas V6 isn't weak - it beats the diesel up the grade in the Ike Gauntlet tests, as expected given the gas engine's higher power output. The engine speeds for peak torque and power are higher for the gas engine than for the diesel, so higher speeds must be used to get that improved performance.

The Ranger's turbocharged engine will tend to higher torque at lower speeds than a non-turbocharged engine with otherwise similar output. Although it has lower peak torque than the Colorado's (larger) diesel engine, using a lower gear will increase torque to the wheels and I expect that the Ranger will win any contest of accelerating, or of towing or hauling up a grade (if you let it run at the engine speed that it needs to).
Thanks Brian, I appreciate your understanding of this. What I have gathered from reading posts in the forum is many of the V6 Colorados/Canyons posters felt the V6 struggled on steeper grades whereas the Diesel owner's felt strongly about their diesel's capabilities. So what you are saying is the gas was quite capable but was running at higher rpm to accomplish the task.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
What I have gathered from reading posts in the forum is many of the V6 Colorados/Canyons posters felt the V6 struggled on steeper grades whereas the Diesel owner's felt strongly about their diesel's capabilities. So what you are saying is the gas was quite capable but was running at higher rpm to accomplish the task.
Yes, and the dissatisfied gas owners are either unwilling to allow the engine to run at that higher rpm, or are concerned about high fuel consumption or reliability at the higher speed.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #7

Trailer: TBD
Are the numbers for headroom , legroom , interior width , seating , etc available ?
My concern is that my wife and I can comfortably get in and out of the vehicle and after a day of driving it doesn’t take 3 hours before we can stand up straight .
We looked at a new Ranger a few years back and even our dog thought the interior was cramped so we passed on the Ranger
Old 10-08-2018, 12:35 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Seats may well not be as comfortable as those on larger trucks. I had 3 Rangers in the past, the interior comfort was the best gain when I went to a full size GMC.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Are the numbers for headroom , legroom , interior width , seating , etc available ?
I haven't seen any hard numbers, other than what has appeared in those articles, and pricing. The cab might be about the same as the worldwide Ranger (e.g. UK Ranger), but even that isn't certain; Ford is pushing the idea that it is greatly modified for North America, but this is in a marketing world where changing some trim pieces rates an "all new" description. Note that the regular cab will not be offered here - only SuperCab and Double Cab (called SuperCrew here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We looked at a new Ranger a few years back and even our dog thought the interior was cramped so we passed on the Ranger
That was the previous generation; this is larger. It should be comparable to the current Colorado/Canyon (and Tacoma, and Frontier), just as the old Ranger was comparable to the original Colorado/Canyon (and first-generation Tacoma, etc).
Old 10-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #10

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I haven't seen any hard numbers, other than what has appeared in those articles, and pricing. The cab might be about the same as the worldwide Ranger (e.g. UK Ranger), but even that isn't certain; Ford is pushing the idea that it is greatly modified for North America, but this is in a marketing world where changing some trim pieces rates an "all new" description. Note that the regular cab will not be offered here - only SuperCab and Double Cab (called SuperCrew here).

That was the previous generation; this is larger. It should be comparable to the current Colorado/Canyon (and Tacoma, and Frontier), just as the old Ranger was comparable to the original Colorado/Canyon (and first-generation Tacoma, etc).
Thanks Brian , you answered my questions and saved me some time .
I think we will concentrate and limit our search to full size trucks . The new Ford F-150 diesels look interesting but some of the comments I have heard and read make me a little bit apprehensive .