2019 Ford Ranger - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2018, 10:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
2019 Ford Ranger

Not sure if anyone has posted this, but the specs for the 2019 Ford ranger have been released. The midsize 2019 Ford Ranger makes 270 horsepower and a best-in-gas-class 310 pound-feet of torque. It has a 10 speed trans with a 3.73 rear gear ratio capable of towing up to 7,500 pounds with the proper towing package and trailer brake controller. Also having up to a maximum payload of 1,860 pounds. Ford says that the towing number is for either 4x4 or 4x2 configurations and the payload number is for a SuperCab 4x2 truck.
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gang View Post
Not sure if anyone has posted this, but the specs for the 2019 Ford ranger have been released. The midsize 2019 Ford Ranger makes 270 horsepower and a best-in-gas-class 310 pound-feet of torque. It has a 10 speed trans with a 3.73 rear gear ratio capable of towing up to 7,500 pounds with the proper towing package and trailer brake controller. Also having up to a maximum payload of 1,860 pounds. Ford says that the towing number is for either 4x4 or 4x2 configurations and the payload number is for a SuperCab 4x2 truck.
Thanks Barton, I have been impatiently waiting for these specs to come out. I was hoping that the Ranger's "best in class torque" would be nearer the Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon DIESEL's at 369 lbs. I have seen on here that the GM mid size pickups with the V6 developing 300 hp and 270 lbs torque was a little weak towing the 5.0TA. Thanks again for posting, it will be interesting to hear other's opinions on the torque issue.
Ronn
Old 10-07-2018, 11:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Ford has "future vehicle" web pages for the 2019 Ranger (Canada, U.S.), but without specs. You can Build & Price it, but you can't see detailed specs.

There are lots of articles triggered by Ford's recent release of information. Some examples:
TheDrive: 2019 Ford Ranger Power and Towing Specs Revealed
CarBuzz: Here Are The Official Truck Guy Specs For The 2019 Ford Ranger
Motor Authority: 2019 Ford Ranger throws down the gauntlet with best-in-class torque, towing, payload
All of these list those values of 270 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque, but none provide corresponding engine speeds, so Ford presumably didn't release those. The Mustang's version of the 2.3 EcoBoost produces 310 hp @ 5,500 rpm and 350 lb.-ft. @ 3,000 rpm, so presumably the Ranger's lower values come in at lower speeds.

The 2.7 L turbo 4-cylinder which will be available in the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado (their full-size pickup) is rated at 310 horsepower (at unknown engine speed) and 348 lb-ft of torque from 1500 rpm to 4000 rpm. The Ranger's values are a bit higher per unit displacement, so they'll probably come at only slightly higher speeds.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I was hoping that the Ranger's "best in class torque" would be nearer the Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon DIESEL's at 369 lbs. I have seen on here that the GM mid size pickups with the V6 developing 300 hp and 270 lbs torque was a little weak towing the 5.0TA. Thanks again for posting, it will be interesting to hear other's opinions on the torque issue.
The Colorado's gas V6 isn't weak - it beats the diesel up the grade in the Ike Gauntlet tests, as expected given the gas engine's higher power output. The engine speeds for peak torque and power are higher for the gas engine than for the diesel, so higher speeds must be used to get that improved performance.

The Ranger's turbocharged engine will tend to higher torque at lower speeds than a non-turbocharged engine with otherwise similar output. Although it has lower peak torque than the Colorado's (larger) diesel engine, using a lower gear will increase torque to the wheels and I expect that the Ranger will win any contest of accelerating, or of towing or hauling up a grade (if you let it run at the engine speed that it needs to).
Old 10-08-2018, 12:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The Colorado's gas V6 isn't weak - it beats the diesel up the grade in the Ike Gauntlet tests, as expected given the gas engine's higher power output. The engine speeds for peak torque and power are higher for the gas engine than for the diesel, so higher speeds must be used to get that improved performance.

The Ranger's turbocharged engine will tend to higher torque at lower speeds than a non-turbocharged engine with otherwise similar output. Although it has lower peak torque than the Colorado's (larger) diesel engine, using a lower gear will increase torque to the wheels and I expect that the Ranger will win any contest of accelerating, or of towing or hauling up a grade (if you let it run at the engine speed that it needs to).
Thanks Brian, I appreciate your understanding of this. What I have gathered from reading posts in the forum is many of the V6 Colorados/Canyons posters felt the V6 struggled on steeper grades whereas the Diesel owner's felt strongly about their diesel's capabilities. So what you are saying is the gas was quite capable but was running at higher rpm to accomplish the task.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
What I have gathered from reading posts in the forum is many of the V6 Colorados/Canyons posters felt the V6 struggled on steeper grades whereas the Diesel owner's felt strongly about their diesel's capabilities. So what you are saying is the gas was quite capable but was running at higher rpm to accomplish the task.
Yes, and the dissatisfied gas owners are either unwilling to allow the engine to run at that higher rpm, or are concerned about high fuel consumption or reliability at the higher speed.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Are the numbers for headroom , legroom , interior width , seating , etc available ?
My concern is that my wife and I can comfortably get in and out of the vehicle and after a day of driving it doesn’t take 3 hours before we can stand up straight .
We looked at a new Ranger a few years back and even our dog thought the interior was cramped so we passed on the Ranger
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Seats may well not be as comfortable as those on larger trucks. I had 3 Rangers in the past, the interior comfort was the best gain when I went to a full size GMC.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Are the numbers for headroom , legroom , interior width , seating , etc available ?
I haven't seen any hard numbers, other than what has appeared in those articles, and pricing. The cab might be about the same as the worldwide Ranger (e.g. UK Ranger), but even that isn't certain; Ford is pushing the idea that it is greatly modified for North America, but this is in a marketing world where changing some trim pieces rates an "all new" description. Note that the regular cab will not be offered here - only SuperCab and Double Cab (called SuperCrew here).

Quote:
We looked at a new Ranger a few years back and even our dog thought the interior was cramped so we passed on the Ranger
That was the previous generation; this is larger. It should be comparable to the current Colorado/Canyon (and Tacoma, and Frontier), just as the old Ranger was comparable to the original Colorado/Canyon (and first-generation Tacoma, etc).
Old 10-08-2018, 01:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I haven't seen any hard numbers, other than what has appeared in those articles, and pricing. The cab might be about the same as the worldwide Ranger (e.g. UK Ranger), but even that isn't certain; Ford is pushing the idea that it is greatly modified for North America, but this is in a marketing world where changing some trim pieces rates an "all new" description. Note that the regular cab will not be offered here - only SuperCab and Double Cab (called SuperCrew here).

That was the previous generation; this is larger. It should be comparable to the current Colorado/Canyon (and Tacoma, and Frontier), just as the old Ranger was comparable to the original Colorado/Canyon (and first-generation Tacoma, etc).
Thanks Brian , you answered my questions and saved me some time .
I think we will concentrate and limit our search to full size trucks . The new Ford F-150 diesels look interesting but some of the comments I have heard and read make me a little bit apprehensive .
Old 10-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Nice truck. It has been good to Ford over the years. Great for towing a 17 or 19. Not sure about the 21. Okay on paper but may be a bit underpowered. I would not pair it with a 5 TA where a full sized pick provides the needed power. I initially looked at Tacoma until my Toyota dealer said no.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:44 AM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Currently visiting the UK where the new Ranger body style is already in use. While I can’t say anything about the specs, it’s sure a very good looking truck.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Thanks Brian , you answered my questions and saved me some time .
I think we will concentrate and limit our search to full size trucks . The new Ford F-150 diesels look interesting but some of the comments I have heard and read make me a little bit apprehensive .
A buddy of mine has his own hotshot trucking business (just he and his wife driving), and he has had (IIRC) 5 different 6.7L Ford pickups, all F250 or F350. I don't think he's been able to get 200,000 miles on any of them. He's had to buy a new engine for one (which he then traded), another one is in the shop awaiting a new engine, and a third one he got rid of quickly because it significantly lacked power and the dealership couldn't figure out a remedy. Engine replacement is about $25,000, I think he told me. He was getting all maintenence done right on schedule by the dealerships, so that wasn't the problem. He is pretty fed up.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:09 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
A buddy of mine has his own hotshot trucking business (just he and his wife driving), and he has had (IIRC) 5 different 6.7L Ford pickups, all F250 or F350. I don't think he's been able to get 200,000 miles on any of them. He's had to buy a new engine for one (which he then traded), another one is in the shop awaiting a new engine, and a third one he got rid of quickly because it significantly lacked power and the dealership couldn't figure out a remedy. Engine replacement is about $25,000, I think he told me. He was getting all maintenence done right on schedule by the dealerships, so that wasn't the problem. He is pretty fed up.

makes me happy I have a ford 7.3 it may not be the fastest thing, but it just keeps going and going and going.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
After owning a string of 7 Courier/Ranger/Mazda B's since the 70's, I've been holding my breath for a new Ranger since my '04 left us 8 years ago. Love my Tacoma which incidentally I bought the day after Ford announced no Ranger replacement back in 2010, but its not a Ranger.

I'm sad to announce that I'm thinking now we're going to stay Toyota. I'm old skool and don't get warm fuzzies at the idea of hitching up to a 4 banger. Sorry Ford.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:57 PM   #16

Two of my fishing buddies have owned Ram/ Docge trucks with the Cummins diesels for as far back as I can remember . One had over 350,000 miles on it when it was traded off and the other had over 400,000 miles on it . The problem is the engines were still running fine but the truck bodies had rusted away .
Old 10-09-2018, 11:26 PM   #17

One of the concerns raised (here and elsewhere) about the Ranger's engine is that it is a relatively small turbocharged 4-cylinder, and so is expected to be unreliable. At the same time, many people praise all diesels for their durability, and specifically point to the Colorado/Canyon's diesel engine. I think that's interesting, because all modern diesels are turbocharged (including those Cummins pickup engines), and the Colorado/Canyon engine is a 2.8 litre four-cylinder. Worldwide, light pickup trucks normally have about this size of turbocharged four-cylinder engine (although diesel rather than gas).

Ford might fail to design and equip the Ranger's engine properly, but there is nothing inherently problematic about the size, number of cylinders, or the use of a turbocharger.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:34 AM   #18

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
When I bought the EcoBoost in early 2012 all I read on the internet was how you couldn't trust the small V6 in a full size truck, 6 cyl's just were not enough, turbos be damned. EcoBoosts were junk.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:20 AM   #19

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
Currently visiting the UK where the new Ranger body style is already in use. While I can’t say anything about the specs, it’s sure a very good looking truck.
Yes, the new Ranger has been offered in various parts of the world for some time now. I actually saw one briefly on the road while visiting the Philippines last year. I remember thinking, that's a good looking truck! Glad it's finally making it's way back to North America.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:28 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Two of my fishing buddies have owned Ram/ Docge trucks with the Cummins diesels for as far back as I can remember . One had over 350,000 miles on it when it was traded off and the other had over 400,000 miles on it . The problem is the engines were still running fine but the truck bodies had rusted away .
I had one of the first Rams with the Cummins turbo diesel in 1989. It was a true powerhouse. However while the powertrain was fantastic, it was built on a Dodge platform and the rest of the truck started falling apart after a few years. It was not too speedy on the highway, was a really rough ride, and was very noisy.

I bought my first Ford F250 with a Power Stroke in 1995, and while not quite the powerhouse, it was a much better truck to drive and that first 7.3 litre Power Stroke was a fantastic engine, still desired by many these days. I owned two with this engine. Ford did err when they went to the 6.0 litre, which was rebored out to 6.4 litres a few years later. That engine had lots of problems, and fortunately I never owned one. The newer 6.7 litre Power Stroke I did buy in an F350 was a great engine. Hordes of good power and WAY quieter than any of the other models.

Still, it has been nice to let them go and just drive the smaller F150 with the 3.5 litre EcoBoost. If I had to to a bigger trailer some day, would be glad to go back to the Power Stroke though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote