2019 Ram payload capacity - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2018, 08:09 AM   #41

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Back to the original subject of payload capacity, it appears from the chart in the brochure that only one variant of the 2019 Ram 1500 has less than 1600 pounds of payload capacity, and that's the 2WD with the 3.6L V6 engine and lowest GVWR package, which no one is likely to choose for towing. This is a nice change from the previous model.

On the related subject of trailer weight rating, every variant seems to have enough capacity for any Escape, and any variant with the either of the V8 engine choices will have enough capacity for any Escape even while carrying the full allowed payload in the truck. Again, good to see.
Ram Owner Support just sent me this, it had my serial number and all the spec. the way it was built from the factory. Ram 4X4, 5.7 Hemi, Trailer Tow Pkg., etc.
GVWR 7100 lbs.
Max Payload 1840 lbs.
Max Towing 8240 lbs.
GCWR 13.900 lbs.
This should work for any fiberglass trailer I will be towing

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #42

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Ram Owner Support just sent me this, it had my serial number and all the spec. the way it was built from the factory. Ram 4X4, 5.7 Hemi, Trailer Tow Pkg., etc.
GVWR 7100 lbs.
Max Payload 1840 lbs.
Max Towing 8240 lbs.
GCWR 13.900 lbs.
This should work for any fiberglass trailer I will be towing

trainman
Do you have your truck yet? Check the payload sticker on the door frame, the numbers Ram sends do not always correspond to that for payload. The GVWR and GCWR and towing ratings are absolute, but the payload is the GVWR less the actual weight of the truck with all options as it comes off the assembly line. On my truck the door sticker payload rating is less than what Ram shows in their online data about my truck.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:57 PM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I think the biggest payload killer on the 150/1500 class trucks is a double-cab. and, yeah, the luxo options (lariat, laramie/limited, etc)... leather seats, power-everything adds a bunch of deadweight.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I think the biggest payload killer on the 150/1500 class trucks is a double-cab. and, yeah, the luxo options (lariat, laramie/limited, etc)... leather seats, power-everything adds a bunch of deadweight.
Hi: John in Santa Cruz... I love "Dead weight"!!! It ain't heavy... just purty. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #45

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
As with all trucks, though, the payload weights listed in the brochures are just a "best case" starting point for a truck with essentially no optional equipment. Every option adds weight and reduces the payload capacity - I have seen Ram Limiteds with payloads of only 1,200 pounds. I specifically ordered my truck with that in mind and wound up with a payload of over 1,800 pounds - but each truck will be different and it can be very instructive to check out the door jamb payload rating stickers when looking at trucks on a dealer lot.
Good point. The spec payload is just a starting point... but at least it's starting substantially higher than previously.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
"Full-size spare temporary-use", what a play on words, like genuine imitation leather
trying to fool people that what they are getting is the real thing!!
"Genuine" and "imitation" are opposites; "full-size" is only about size, and "temporary" is about construction, so they are unrelated. There is no conflict or deception here.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:38 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I think the biggest payload killer on the 150/1500 class trucks is a double-cab.
In the Ram 1500 line, the cabs are all four-door (which is what "double cab" means), but in two lengths (with the difference in the rear seat area): Quad and Crew. The Crew is 13 inches or 329 mm longer; the extra cab length comes one of two ways:
  1. mostly out of the box (comparing the Quad with 6'4" box to the Crew with 5'7" box), or
  2. adds to the wheelbase and frame (comparing the Quad to the Crew, both with 6'4" box).
The weight penalty of the longer cab should be much worse if the wheelbase is extended, but that isn't consistent at all. The increase in weight (decrease in payload) is from 40 to 220 pounds, depending on engine and GVWR package, and the wheelbase stretches are not consistently the higher increases. This might be somewhat related to the fuel tank changing size between the configurations.

I think the cab weight penalty would be more striking if there were a regular cab for comparison.

There is essentially no choice of GVWR (and therefore of payload) in the Ram 1500 line. 4WD gets a higher GVWR than 2WD, to compensate for the extra drivetrain weight. Different engines lead to different GVWR, again to compensate. There are very low and extra-high GVWR for the Quad Cab V6 trucks with the same drivetrain, presumably to create the softest ride and maximum-payload configurations for marketing... but few people will chose the V6 for towing a travel trailer so they don't really matter. There does not appear to be (in the brochure specs or the online build & price tool) a high-payload option for the V8 trucks.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:54 PM   #48

Trailer: none
Quote:
New 2019 Ram 1500 4x4 Big Horn/Lone Star Edition, GVWR 7200, 5.7 HEMI, Trailer Tow Package, max towing 8300 lbs., other options.

trainman

Trainman, what is the payload rating on the door sticker?
Old 11-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #49

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Trainman, what is the payload rating on the door sticker?
Read post #41

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:20 PM   #50

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Read post #41

trainman
The door sticker may vary from database info in the Ram system. Check the sticker on your doorframe to confirm that it is the same payload rating as what they sent to you. It will look like the attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Rambo payload.jpg  
Old 11-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The sticker (usually on the driver's door jamb) which provides tire inflation pressures should list the spare tire... but of course the spec can just be read from tire sidewall.
David's door sticker provides the spare specification for his truck: 245/70R18 110S
as well as the normal tires: 275/65R18 116T
These tires have nearly the same overall diameter.

The narrower spare requires more pressure (310 kPa or 45 PSI, versus 250 kPa or 36 PSI) to carry the same load. The spare has lots of speed capacity, but the mismatch of having one tire of a different size (even of the same construction) would justify keeping the speed down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Our "full size spare", temporary use tire was on an 18" wheel and the truck has 18" wheels. But when I went to buy a regular tire for the spare, I found that the spare wheel was narrower and wouldn't accommodate the same size tire as those on the truck so I wound up having to buy both a new wheel and new spare tire....sigh.
That makes sense, because the spare is so much narrower (30 mm or more than an inch) than the regular tires that it should come on a roughly one-inch-narrower wheel. The narrower wheel is part of the weight saving which results from choosing a narrower tire.