2019 Ram payload capacity - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
2019 Ram payload capacity

I know there are a wide range of opinions on half ton pickups and that there are many that will work for towing a 5.0TA. We just took delivery of our new 2019 Ram that we ordered to pull our soon to be ordered 5.0TA and I thought I'd share some specifics because payload capacity is often the biggest issue with pickups, most have plenty of towing capacity. Ram increased the payload capacities with their redesigned truck for 2019 which was a big factor in our purchase. And knowing that in the real world, the actual payload capacity of any truck is less than the standard chart capacity of a basic truck with no options, I was curious to see how ours would come out. We ordered a Quad Cab, 6'4" bed, 5.7 Hemi V8 Lone Star which is a fairly basic trim level. Not many options - tow mirrors/brake controller, 33 gallon gas tank, and a few creature comforts. The standard chart payload for this truck is 1,980 pounds. Adding the larger gas tank took a bite out of that because the gas tank weight is counted full of gas, and then the weight of any other added options also lowers payload capacity. I was pleased to see that our actual payload capacity came in at 1,804 pounds, which should be plenty adequate for towing the 5.0TA. The truck's towing capacity is 8,590.

If you're out looking at trucks, check the standard payload capacity charts and then take a look at the sticker on the door frame of each truck and you may be surprised to find out how much lower the actual payload capacity can be depending on what options are added to the truck.

Seems like most pickups these days have crew cabs and shorter beds. We pulled a small 5th wheel for many years with a 98 Ram quad cab, found the smaller back seat to have adequate cargo space for us, and prefer having a bigger bed - the 6'4" bed allows me to put a tool box in front of the hitch. There are lots of ways to pull a 5.0TA, just passing this along in the spirit of sharing info with the group - I have certainly gained much knowledge and benefited from many of your posts in recent months as we continue to learn about Escape and plan our own adventure.
Attached Thumbnails
Rambo payload.jpg   Rambo 01.jpg  
Old 07-21-2018, 04:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks for posting the info. As expected, the 2019 Ram is in the same payload ballpark as the F-150. IMO that is great news!
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:30 PM   #3

Trailer: none
Thanks for the post, David. Is the Quadcab the largest cab on the Ram?
Old 07-21-2018, 04:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
NO , Standard , Quad , Crew
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:58 PM   #5

Quote:
No, the Quad Cab is what I think others call the extended cab. The crew cab is the big one, has a huge back seat but then you also get a shorter bed.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
They do make a crew cab with the 6’4” bed ,but not many on dealers lots
My. Fishing buddy has one, it’s a 2017
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:06 PM   #7

Thanks, for sure would want the longer bed with the 5.0 trailer. Also, I would think the 5.7 Hemi provides pleny of power and torque! Nice looking truck!
Old 07-21-2018, 05:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks, for sure would want the longer bed with the 5.0 trailer. Also, I would think the 5.7 Hemi provides pleny of power and torque! Nice looking truck!
I've seen photos in another thread of a short bed pickup with a 5.0TA turned ninety degrees sideways and not touching the cab - I think they have designed the trailer with the hitch pin further forward than most fifth wheels so that it can work with a short bed truck since they are so common. I still prefer the longer bed just to have the extra cargo space.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:54 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
They may well have had Trademasters in Chilliwack install their hitch. They have been custom installing them in short beds farther back then is normal. At least that's how it looked to me.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Check you spare tire underneath the bed, mine was a temporary, if your spare is the same you will need a full sized wheel and tire, something to argue with the dealer while still new...
Old 07-21-2018, 07:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Check you spare tire underneath the bed, mine was a temporary, if your spare is the same you will need a full sized wheel and tire, something to argue with the dealer while still new...
That's one of my few peeves with the Ram, some years ago they stopped giving you a real spare tire. Some corporate bean counter decided to save a few bucks but it sure is annoying. The spare is full sized but for temporary use, only has a tiny amount of tread on it. And if you got larger wheels, like the 20" most Rams seem to have, the spare is the smaller basic size wheel - 18" on the 2019's. I didn't get larger wheels, so at least my spare wheel is the same size, but I will still have to go purchase a real matching tire for it.

I suppose for most people who are just driving around town and not towing, the temporary use spare is adequate - the spares on my 1998 Ram never once got used in 20 years - but if I'm halfway across eastern Montana in the middle of nowhere, pulling a trailer, and have a flat I sure want a real tire to put on. Have to wonder how much that cheap spare tire saves them - especially considering the cost of a truck these days.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I know there are a wide range of opinions on half ton pickups and that there are many that will work for towing a 5.0TA. We just took delivery of our new 2019 Ram that we ordered to pull our soon to be ordered 5.0TA and I thought I'd share some specifics because payload capacity is often the biggest issue with pickups, most have plenty of towing capacity. Ram increased the payload capacities with their redesigned truck for 2019 which was a big factor in our purchase. And knowing that in the real world, the actual payload capacity of any truck is less than the standard chart capacity of a basic truck with no options, I was curious to see how ours would come out. We ordered a Quad Cab, 6'4" bed, 5.7 Hemi V8 Lone Star which is a fairly basic trim level. Not many options - tow mirrors/brake controller, 33 gallon gas tank, and a few creature comforts. The standard chart payload for this truck is 1,980 pounds. Adding the larger gas tank took a bite out of that because the gas tank weight is counted full of gas, and then the weight of any other added options also lowers payload capacity. I was pleased to see that our actual payload capacity came in at 1,804 pounds, which should be plenty adequate for towing the 5.0TA. The truck's towing capacity is 8,590.

If you're out looking at trucks, check the standard payload capacity charts and then take a look at the sticker on the door frame of each truck and you may be surprised to find out how much lower the actual payload capacity can be depending on what options are added to the truck.

Seems like most pickups these days have crew cabs and shorter beds. We pulled a small 5th wheel for many years with a 98 Ram quad cab, found the smaller back seat to have adequate cargo space for us, and prefer having a bigger bed - the 6'4" bed allows me to put a tool box in front of the hitch. There are lots of ways to pull a 5.0TA, just passing this along in the spirit of sharing info with the group - I have certainly gained much knowledge and benefited from many of your posts in recent months as we continue to learn about Escape and plan our own adventure.
I to have been looking a the Ram, but in the 2500 series which I know is overkill for the 5.0 trailer. Now I'm re-thinking this to the 1500 as it can handle the 5.0 easily, but I would go with the 4x4 model. The 2500 comes with a full spare and a 6.4 hemi, the 6.4 is somewhat of a fuel hog which I don't really care for and a spare can usually be obtained for the dealers parts dept. as a take-off from other vehicles at a reasonable price, ($150) matching tire and wheel. I think you made a good choice on the 2019 Ram in the Lone Star Edition, same as what I would pick.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
That's one of my few peeves with the Ram, some years ago they stopped giving you a real spare tire. Some corporate bean counter decided to save a few bucks but it sure is annoying. The spare is full sized but for temporary use, only has a tiny amount of tread on it. And if you got larger wheels, like the 20" most Rams seem to have, the spare is the smaller basic size wheel - 18" on the 2019's. I didn't get larger wheels, so at least my spare wheel is the same size, but I will still have to go purchase a real matching tire for it.

I suppose for most people who are just driving around town and not towing, the temporary use spare is adequate - the spares on my 1998 Ram never once got used in 20 years - but if I'm halfway across eastern Montana in the middle of nowhere, pulling a trailer, and have a flat I sure want a real tire to put on. Have to wonder how much that cheap spare tire saves them - especially considering the cost of a truck these days.
Picking up our new 2019 1500 Ram 4x4 today, it does come with a full size spare, but the tire and wheel are equal quality of whats on the truck, but not the same as what's (factory tires and wheels) on the truck, don't know if this is because the truck is a 4x4 or not. Got the Tow Package and few other option to make it tow, should work just fine for whatever fiberglass trailer we move up to. Hope you will let us come and see your 5.0 when you get it, or maybe at the same camping grounds someday.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #14

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
I have not broken the code on the Ram spare tire issue. Ram's come with either 18" or 20" tires/rims. The Ram trucks I look at and the one I own have 18" tires/wheels and they have full size steel wheel spares. The 18" tires usually ride better due to the taller sidewalls, you have a wider selection of tires and they are less expensive. The 20" tires are usually found on the higher end trucks with fancier upgraded wheels and tires. I suspect those are the trucks with the temp spares. I have owned other brand trucks with fancier non steel wheels but the full size spare is usually a steel rim with full size tire.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:29 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
IMHO, 20" wheels with low profile tires on a truck are ridiculous, its catering to the MTV Cribz crowd.

my 2002 F250 diesel also has the steel rim spare on a truck with factory alloys. makes 5-way rotating ugly.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
IMHO, 20" wheels with low profile tires on a truck are ridiculous, its catering to the MTV Cribz crowd.

Yeah, but then you can do this!
Old 11-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Yeah, but then you can do this!
can you imagine that truck with a load of lumber on the back? or towing an Escape?

neither can I.

my previous daily driver, a 1992 Volvo 740 Turbo wagon, I upgraded[1] from its factory 15's (195/60R15) to the factory optional sportier 16's (205/55R16) and while it did corner better, the ride was awful on rough roads, and that was a relatively conservative 'sporty' upgrade. Things like /40 series wheels belong on glassy smooth race tracks, not public highways with pot holes etc.

[1] I had the justification that two of the original rims were bent and all 4 needed new tires anyways, and I scored a perfect set of the factory upgrade wheels for cheap.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
While I agree that trucks like those in the the photo are ridiculous, and very low profile tires on any vehicle are unsuitable for real roads, the 20" wheels on these current full-sized Ram pickup trucks have 55 aspect ratio tires (and they're higher-aspect in the other brands). No truck comes with 40-series tires from the factory. That's combined with huge widths (275 mm) so the sidewall is not extremely short. Still, 18" (275/65R18) is probably better for most roads and I wouldn't consider the 22" option (285/45R22) being offered on the Ram 1500.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:08 PM   #19
Site Team

I'll stick with my load range 'E' LT265/75R16's
Old 11-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Picking up our new 2019 1500 Ram 4x4 today, it does come with a full size spare, but the tire and wheel are equal quality of whats on the truck, but not the same as what's (factory tires and wheels) on the truck, don't know if this is because the truck is a 4x4 or not. Got the Tow Package and few other option to make it tow, should work just fine for whatever fiberglass trailer we move up to. Hope you will let us come and see your 5.0 when you get it, or maybe at the same camping grounds someday.

trainman
My Ram 1500 Sport came with 4x Wrangler 20" owl tires, full tow package, all LED lights, power folding mirrors, brake controller, heavy duty cooling. The spare, is 18" steel wheel with a Michelin temporary tire. I'd be curious as to what tire is on your spare. I purchased a matching 20" wheel on line and another Wrangler tire and carry it in the truck bed under a tonneau.It with a 120v air compressor and full sized aluminum racing jack. The Ram sits so high that the stock jack would not lift the truck high enough off the ground to change the tire. Oh and a spinner tire wrench is back there with some battery cables.Takes up about 25% of the space available.