2020 4Runner for TV - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2019, 01:10 AM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Maybe you should ask Toyota what temp the transmission and fluid is designed to run at. Too low a temp could also be an issue. I don't know the answer, but seem to recall 230 degrees F as normal.
Yea, it would be great to have a definitive answer, like something in a TSB. I'm not aware of anything published by Toyota, though. I'm hesitant to bet my transmission on an off-the-cuff answer from some service rep.

Also, it is my understanding that fluid degradation vs temperature is a curve, not a cliff function, so a good answer is not just a single number -- it needs to include change interval.

Bill R
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:56 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Showing off, I dropped my RAV4 V6 into third to tow my 17B up the steepest part of the Coquihalla. That caused a yellow caution to light up in my dash. I was doing 60mph and immediately shifted to four and took my foot off the gas.
Next service, I asked to have the transmission fluid replaced. It was of good colour and showed no indication of severe use.
Nothing wrong with caution, but best to have data when making a decision.
Unlike some, I'm not afraid to approach red line, although I don't think I've really gotten close.
I read the manual and now tow in four. I press the accelerator to the floor as needed, but let the transmission decide what's best. Haven't seen that yellow caution since.
Attached Thumbnails
redline.jpg  
Old 10-21-2019, 06:49 AM   #23

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Maybe you should ask Toyota what temp the transmission and fluid is designed to run at. Too low a temp could also be an issue. I don't know the answer, but seem to recall 230 degrees F as normal.
A senior tech at my local dealership told me 230F watch, 240F look to pull over, 250F shut it down. Past 250F the seals and ORings harden and the valves stop shifting properly.

When I got my oil changed at Toyota of Huntington Beach in LA, the mechanic confirmed the numbers also. He had a 4Runner and towed his dirt bikes with lots of camping gear out to the Mojave desert.

I had it at 230F once, I pulled over. I70 a long hill at 90 degrees in Utah.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:52 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
I was glad to see BillR’s post, since our experience was similar.

I added the ScanGauge II , and a transmission cooler to our V6 4Runner which we towed our 21’ with over the Rockies and all over North America for a couple of years and around 20,000 miles.

I got a replacement hitch from Hidden Hitch for a very reasonable price that bolted right up to the frame rails and rear crossmember without any modification or welding.

I use Purolator synthetic transmission fluid, which their tech said would be fine well past 240F, but that the transmission components would not be fine above that temp.

As far as “normal,” the non-towing normal is 160 to 200F, and the towing is 170 to 210, and I ease up or pullover if it gets to 220. The Ram, has never exceeded 200, and we’ve towed about 50,000 miles with it.

A final thought: a good friend has towed their “classic” 21’ for years with a Highlander. The newer Highlanders have 295 hp, but more importantly an 8 speed transmission, while the 4Runner still has only the 5 speed, less hp, and it weighs more. The extra gears really make a difference.

As the old saying goes: talk to someone who drives one.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:58 AM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
We have a 2014 Toyota 4Runner SR5 with over 90,000 miles.

We had a 2014 Escape 19 that we towed over 25,000 miles. Trailer weight was 3180lb with 420lb on the tongue.

We have a 2018 Escape 19 that we towed over 10,000 miles. With more options, trailer weight is 3620lb with 530lb on the tongue. Note that the trailer weight is well below the 4Runner's 5000lb rating but the tongue weight is above the stock 4Runner's 500lb rating.

We towed both trailers in the Rockies. We towed the 2014 the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive.

You will get a range of opinions on tow vehicle. Some will be comfortable with a smaller dog and/or bigger tail. Some will only be comfortable with a bigger dog and/or smaller tail. I am not challenging either camp, just giving my opinions and experiences.

IMO, the stock 4Runner is a marginal tow vehicle for long-distance trailering over 3000lb. I did 3 modifications that IMO make it an adequate tow vehicle:

1. Add a transmission temperature gauge. I added a ScanGauge above the rearview mirror with a BlendMount, which gives both pan and torque converter
transmission temperatures, see post here.

2. Add a transmission cooler. I added a Long 4589 transmission cooler with hard mounts (no zipties), routing the lines to the passenger side of the radiator with strain relief. I'd estimate that it lowers the transmission temperature by more than 20 degrees.

3. Add a beefier hitch. After several years of use with a weight-distributing hitch, the stock 4Runner hitch (51909-35011) did not stay parallel to the ground. I added a Lexus GX460 hitch (PT228-60140), which bolts to the front-to-back frame rails. To also attach it to the back crossmember, I added a spacer of rectangular tube stock and a plate, which I bolted and tig welded to the hitch, then bolted that to crossmember with the 6 stock bolts. The GX460 tongue weight rating is 650lb.

In my experience, the engine has enough torque, even at altitude.

I do use engine braking on downhills, but never doubted the 4Runner brakes. FWIW, my first set of brake pads lasted 90,000 miles.

I am concerned with the transmission temperature. Even with the cooler and careful driving, I've gone up to 213 degrees F in the torque converter (but less than 200 in the pan). I have changed the fluid and it was fine, so I don't know what temperature it can really take. Maybe I have OCD on this, but heat kills transmissions, so I don't want to find the limit.

Is all this worth it? Why not just buy, say, a Tundra, which has better towing? For us, the modified 4Runner is a better vehicle for our overall needs. It's more nimble and gets better gas mileage than a larger truck and I just like a SUV better than a pickup.

Bill R
I didn’t trade my 4RUNNER because of my experience towing, I just needed a truck more than a SUV. I considered a Magnuson supercharger but really I needed a truck bed, I was wrecking the cargo area of the 4RUNNER.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:55 PM   #26

Trailer: Don't own
Thank you everyone. You have provided me with a wealth of information and lots of food for thought.
Cokhuysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:38 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 17b Escape
Towing and engine heating

We have a 2015 17b Escape trailer and a 2014 Ford Escape Turbo. It pulls our trailer with no issues except when we go over mountain passes and the outside temperature is high then the engine temperature light comes on and the car stops if we don’t pull over to let it cool. Going uphill at 30 miles/ hour helps most of the time. We decided to get a BMW X5 next year as it is getting too scary. Hope this car gives us worry free travels.
Clack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:21 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Casita
I’ve been towing travel trailers with 4Runners for 24 years. I’m currently towing a 2010 Escape 19’ with a 2006 4Runner Sport. I’ve never had an issue. I love my 4Runner and it’s what I need all the rest of the time when I’m not towing a camper. I’m currently waiting for the 2020s to come out because I want the Apple CarPlay. I’ll get either.... another 4Runner or a Highlander for a change of pace.

P.S. I STRONGLY disagree with the author of that article! Every person who rides in my 4Runner gushes about the ride and/or wants one. My good friend recently said “this is the best riding vehicle I’ve ever rode in” and I’ve been told that by others. I think the author was strongly biased for some reason...
Tappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:25 PM   #29

Thanks again Doug
Old 10-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokhuysen View Post
Will be purchasing 2020 4Runner TRD. Is it suitable as TV for new Escape 19? The GVWR is 6,300lbs tow weight rating is 5,000lbs.
This is the "author's" quote. Problem?

I test drove a 2014 4Runner to replace my 2013 Highlander when we decided to move from a 17B to a 21. Glad we passed on it for a full-sized suv.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:32 AM   #31

Thank you for the feedback.

Tags
2020 4runner, escape 19