2020 Toyota Tacoma - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2019, 06:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
2020 Toyota Tacoma

Most of the update's focus on tech, but it does look a little different, too. https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...to-show-debut/
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:24 PM   #2

Trailer: not yet
I wish. I like Toyotas but latest version makes me feel like I am sitting right on the floor. I got it, got right back out, and said "next". They do not fit me, at all. Other than that, great trucks.
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Fit

I haven’t encountered the new Tacoma and am not in the market but I agree that the fit is very important. There’s a lot of leeway in seat adjustments these days but I have encountered some vehicles that hurt me after several days of long distance driving. A couple years ago I had a new Toyota Camry as a loaner, I found it to be very comfortable. The three days I had it were enough to convince me “ I could own one of these”.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It's been ten years since I bought the RAV4 and my wife is still longing for the seats in the 1994 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition we used to own.

I will pay much more attention to comfort if I ever buy a new vehicle ( the RAV is about 1/3 through its life span ).
Old 02-08-2019, 11:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We traded in our 2015 Tacoma for a 2019 and it's the biggest mistake we ever made. The Tacoma is no longer a utility vehicle, it's now considered a "family vehicle". The are numerous things that we dislike about the 2019 and we brought them to the attention of the Western Canada Sales Representative for Toyota Canada when he visited here last summer. He listened to our complaints and then told us, and I quote, "The new Tacoma has been designed to capture the sport vehicle market in California". He said that less than 1% of Tacoma sales in Canada take place from Winnipeg to the west coast so they really don't place a lot of stock in what we think here. This truck, and I use the term loosely, is all about the technology i.e. hi-end electronics. The sales rep. told us that "all you have to do is keep it between the lines and the truck will do the rest". That doesn't work for us. This vehicle is made for stupid people, full stop. We nearly were involved in a major accident on a freeway as the result of the "Pre-Collision System" making an incorrect decision.

In a word, the new Tacoma sucks. I want my 2015 back.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
We traded in our 2015 Tacoma for a 2019 and it's the biggest mistake we ever made......"The new Tacoma has been designed to capture the sport vehicle market in California"......This vehicle is made for stupid people, full stop.

Doug
I couldn’t agree with you more, Doug! I have been driving in California for 50 years and stupidity defines too many drivers. Toyota and other manufacturers are catering to them

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
We traded in our 2015 Tacoma for a 2019 and it's the biggest mistake we ever made. The Tacoma is no longer a utility vehicle, it's now considered a "family vehicle". The are numerous things that we dislike about the 2019 and we brought them to the attention of the Western Canada Sales Representative for Toyota Canada when he visited here last summer. He listened to our complaints and then told us, and I quote, "The new Tacoma has been designed to capture the sport vehicle market in California". He said that less than 1% of Tacoma sales in Canada take place from Winnipeg to the west coast so they really don't place a lot of stock in what we think here. This truck, and I use the term loosely, is all about the technology i.e. hi-end electronics. The sales rep. told us that "all you have to do is keep it between the lines and the truck will do the rest". That doesn't work for us. This vehicle is made for stupid people, full stop. We nearly were involved in a major accident on a freeway as the result of the "Pre-Collision System" making an incorrect decision.

In a word, the new Tacoma sucks. I want my 2015 back.

Doug
I totally agree. I have a 2015 Tacoma and i love that truck. People sayits “outdated”, but it does everything I ask of it. Every now and then I think about trading it in for a new Tacoma, but I can’t get pass all of the tech stuff on the new ones.
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 E19
Yep, I trust my own driving skills and instincts better than I trust some piece of electronic, computer-controlled gadgetry.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #9
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
Not to put a wet blanket on everyone's "Tacoma hate-fest," but I'm quite pleased with my 2017 Tacoma. I wish it had more tech, and wish it had Subaru's all the time, all wheel drive, but aside from that, it's a great truck. Of course, I'm one of those Northern Californians to whom Toyota is catering... assuming they're really catering to rural folks who really live in Northern California, and not the Bay Area (i.e., "central California").
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gang View Post
Most of the update's focus on tech, but it does look a little different, too. https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...to-show-debut/
I regard the Tacoma as a too small truck for my needs, regardless of it's towing capabilities. Go with a full size 1/2 ton PU for your Escape 21 and be done with it. New ones get good fuel mileage and probably better then you will get with the Tacoma pulling the trailer, plus all have 8-10 speed trans and the vehicle is not over worked. I would go with the 3.5 Ford engine, or the V8's in the other models.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
We sat in a Tacoma
Too flat seats just not comfortable
Ended up with an old f150 with very low miles
It’s been a decent truck for the last 35000 miles
If the Tacoma was really redesigned to be more comfortable we’d look at one
Tundras are great but needs a modern engine redesign for efficiency and a ten speed Toyota is very conservative ergo great reliability and are also a pile of money
We might look at the new Ranger after it’s been out for a bit to see how well it tows in the 4500 lb range 30000 will buy one with a tow package

I’d only spend a pile of money for something new if it has greater efficiency
On the other hand my 2004 f150 v8 now only has 69000 on it and is running great and is meticulously maintained
I hope the get 15000 out of it before it’s time
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Bought a 2016 TRD 6 speed manual transmission with tow package Tacoma. It has been a good truck & is a capable 4wd rig. I special ordered this truck with very few bells and whistles, got nothing but static from the sales dude about why a auto transmission and tech was needed in today’s driving universe. It tows our 19 fine & is a great daily driver, if we were towing across the country this would not be my first choice. We have the Colorado’s at work & they aren’t quite the same quality as the Taco & have had some problem with them. The rear blind spot on the Colorado is terrible. F150 would be my next choice, however the eco boost turbos were noisy. The driveway fit not quite right & the V8 really sucks the fuel for the F150. Getting 19-22 hiway with the Taco, 12-15 towing.
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:44 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasguy View Post
Bought a 2016 TRD 6 speed manual transmission with tow package Tacoma. It has been a good truck & is a capable 4wd rig. I special ordered this truck with very few bells and whistles, got nothing but static from the sales dude about why a auto transmission and tech was needed in today’s driving universe. It tows our 19 fine & is a great daily driver, if we were towing across the country this would not be my first choice. We have the Colorado’s at work & they aren’t quite the same quality as the Taco & have had some problem with them. The rear blind spot on the Colorado is terrible. F150 would be my next choice, however the eco boost turbos were noisy. The driveway fit not quite right & the V8 really sucks the fuel for the F150. Getting 19-22 hiway with the Taco, 12-15 towing.
With good fuel economy one pays a little less now.
With good build quality one pays a little more now, and a lot less later.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We traded in our 2003 Tundra for a 2018 Tundra and have been more than happy with it. We sat much lower in the 2003 and it seemed 'bigger' when driving. Now we sit higher and the 2018 offers better visibility which makes driving much easier. Yes, there are a number of "safety/new" features that may not be needed; however, things like the lane departure and pre-collision systems can be turned off if you so desire '()'. Twice our pre-collision system was activated due to people pulling suddenly in front of us (sans trailer, thankfully) and once while heading to Quincy, CA, on a road with some tight turns. One turn was so tight that the pre-collision system sounded which certainly surprised both of us.

Seeing as how much the Tacoma is looking like a Tundra, why not just go with a Tundra.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasguy View Post
As an owner of a 2014 Tacoma w/ manual, tow package & 4X4, I can't resist a few words...

Waiting weeks for a manual transmission (and enduring the sales pitch over and over) was worth it to me. Pulling my '21 is a difficult job here in Colorado and the advantage of being in the correct gear at all times makes the difference. The one absolute advantage over an automatic is that I can shift (up or down) into the correct gear for what is down the road ahead of me - before I get there.

But the real reason I picked the Tacoma was I didn't need or want the hassle of a full size truck - which is also my daily driver. 80% of my miles are around town, 10% "off road", and 10% towing. And it fits into my garage, and it was "cheap" - in relative terms. And my 1995 4Runner lasted 15+ years without a hiccup.

Seating is a pain! (I lust after heated seats. Not to mention a diesel engine.) Ride and handling are marginal. RPMs while towing are always sky-high and gasoline vanishes. The perfect towing machine ? Not by a long shot. When and if it wears out I'll be taking a long close look at the competition. But back in 2014 there wasn't any competition to speak of.

Ok - off the soapbox.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
2017 Limited

I am in the middle of a coast to coast with my Escape19 and 2017 Tacoma Lim. Cant say enough about the handling and driveability. My experience has been a good one. 4300 miles so far. If I had one neg it would be 12mpg vs 21. My past truck was an F150 that I dearly loved, but I changed residences and it wouldnt fit in the garage!😬

The only other issue is when being passed by an 18 wheeler the unit seems to get sucked in and then pushed to the side by the air column. Light truck+light RV can’t compete.

I love the Tacoma. I love my Escape19. A nice conbination, IMHO.
sequimteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:38 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
As an owner of a 2014 Tacoma w/ manual, tow package & 4X4, I can't resist a few words...

Waiting weeks for a manual transmission (and enduring the sales pitch over and over) was worth it to me. Pulling my '21 is a difficult job here in Colorado and the advantage of being in the correct gear at all times makes the difference. The one absolute advantage over an automatic is that I can shift (up or down) into the correct gear for what is down the road ahead of me - before I get there.

But the real reason I picked the Tacoma was I didn't need or want the hassle of a full size truck - which is also my daily driver. 80% of my miles are around town, 10% "off road", and 10% towing. And it fits into my garage, and it was "cheap" - in relative terms. And my 1995 4Runner lasted 15+ years without a hiccup.

Seating is a pain! (I lust after heated seats. Not to mention a diesel engine.) Ride and handling are marginal. RPMs while towing are always sky-high and gasoline vanishes. The perfect towing machine ? Not by a long shot. When and if it wears out I'll be taking a long close look at the competition. But back in 2014 there wasn't any competition to speak of.

Ok - off the soapbox.
--
Alan
Are you by chance a retired professor? You remind me of my neighbor who until he couldn't would order manual cars with non-electric windows.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:40 AM   #18

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I see Alan commented on being able to up/down shift at will with the manual tranny, the last couple full size trucks I had with auto xmissions could be up/down shifted at will too. I use it quite a bit when towing or driving off road. Do the new Taco's not have this ability?

Manuals were more fun to drive.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I see Alan commented on being able to up/down shift at will with the manual tranny, the last couple full size trucks I had with auto xmissions could be up/down shifted at will too. I use it quite a bit when towing or driving off road. Do the new Taco's not have this ability?.
All automatics allow the driver to force a downshift, as long as it would not result in excessive engine speed (over redline). What the driver can't do with a typical automatic is force an upshift when the transmission logic doesn't want it.

With the traditional automatic shift control, the position selected was the highest gear that the transmission would use (except for shifting up to avoid damaging the engine), but the transmission would use any gear below that as determined by its control logic. The result is that the driver can determine downshifts, but not upshifts.

With more recent shift controls, there is often a "sport" or "manual" mode ("S" in a recent Tacoma) with up and down positions, buttons, or levers (often labelled "+" and "-", as on the shifter in the Tacoma) allowing the driver to select any gear... but in addition to limiting downshifts to protect the engine, if the driver selects an upshift, it still might not happen.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote