4WD vs 2WD - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Old 10-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #11
Trailer: 17B Picked up 4/19/16

Our 17B is scheduled to be completed in December. We replaced a 99 Tacoma with a 15 Tacoma Prerunner with tow package. In fifteen years of driving a two wheel drive I got to and from work just fine. Did not see the need for the expense of 4WD, but to each their own.

Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #12
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA 2016 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
I think it all depends where you live! We are at 2000 feet and usually have a fair bit of snow - I have to drive all over the county as a visiting nurse on back roads so depend on a four wheel drive to get me where I need to go. But I don't assume that four wheel drive will keep me from sliding on the ice. My trusty Subaru is the perfect car for this climate and occupation!

Jan and Paul
"Le Bon Oeuf"
SpokanEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:46 PM   #13
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Live in snow country, that's why I bought 4x4. However, we've been touring Colorado and Urban for the last 6 weeks and have used it quite a bit on these dirt roads out here that seem to out number paved. Many of the best camp sites and rock formations are on dirt, most are not very well maintained. Another thing about the cost, like a diesel, you get most of the extra cost back when you sell. Of course you loose a mile or so mpg with 4 wheel too.

I did see a lot of higher clearence AWD cars on the dirt roads, they seemed to be doing just fine. might be another option.
Happy Motoring
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #14
Trailer: 2016 17B
The Tacoma is on my short list. Thanks.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #15
Commercial Member
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I prefer a 4WD for roaming on the National Forest roads when boondocking/exploring. Long ways from anywhere to get stuck and often no cell service.
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:50 PM   #16
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
I have 4wd because I live in the mountains and I like to get home from work reliably. I've used it exactly once while towing my pre-Escape T@B when a campsite turned into a mud hole overnight.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:35 PM   #17
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I have never owned a four-wheel-drive vehicle, and have only driven one very briefly. I learned to drive on hilly roads in Ontario that were frequently very icy, and I have driven for the last three decades in the Edmonton where it doesn't snow much, but winter lasts for half the year. I've never failed to make it to work, and enjoy driving past those 4WD or AWD vehicles in the ditches. Most of that has been front wheel drive (and with winter tires in season), but there was one RWD car and one RWD pickup truck.

On the other hand, hooking a trailer on the back of a vehicle greatly increases the need for traction (due to more mass and drag), with a much smaller increase in drive traction (if RWD) or some decrease in drive traction (if front wheel drive). If you are towing in bad weather or in and out of steep gravel campsites, you might appreciate 4WD.

If the concern is on-road use in wet (but not icy or seriously snowy) conditions, you should know that manual part-time 4WD (no centre differential or slip clutch) will not help... a full-time system (often called AWD, but various names are used) is needed. Many (likely most) pickups only have part-time 4WD, which is one reason that I drive past so many that are stuck in ditches.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:04 PM   #18
Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I ordered 4 wheel drive when ordering the tow truck and so far I had to use it twice. In bringing the 21 home from Chilliwack , we left the Oregon coast and headed East on US 20. We ran into a construction site somewhere East of Cascadia where a short section of the highway was cut out. And in this section was a flatbed with an excavator on it which was buried to the axles, so they built a dirt ramp around it to move the traffic. This was loose dirt and rock on an uphill grade and needless to say, the truck started to slip. I flipped to four wheel drive and walked up it. This was also one of several places where the transmission fluid temp rose to 210 degrees. Without the 4 wheel drive, I would have had the traffic blocked in both directions and backing down would not have been pretty with about 7 vehicles back of me. When you need 4WD, you need it. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:12 PM   #19
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Well,...if you don't have 4x4, and you need it, but don't have it, all you got is 1 wheel drive.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:00 AM   #20
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I have four-wheel-drive ( sort of ) with the option to lock it in, but I keep in mind the the quip, that you can get stuck with two-wheel-drive, but you can get REALLY stuck with four-wheel-drive.

2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote