5.0 TA & a big truck - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2018, 12:05 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Hi StillCampin, 56" works with a 2nd gen 5.0 TA. 58" should work nicely with the lift and still maintain adequate clearence. But I would still speak with Reace just to verify. Hope this helps
Tin.
I just heard back from ETI regarding this: more info needed. I'll use Tin's drawing and substitute my own measurements and see what they say. At least my Ram's air suspension has an "alternate height" setting that adjusts one inch.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:42 PM   #22

My truck measurements

My software doesn't make fancy drawings but this pic shows the measurements for my truck. I've sent this to ETI so now it is just waiting for a responce.
Attached Thumbnails
_20180811_163346~2.JPG  
Old 08-11-2018, 07:12 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
My software doesn't make fancy drawings but this pic shows the measurements for my truck. I've sent this to ETI so now it is just waiting for a responce.
You might want to have a look at your rear axle, it seems to be out of alignment.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #24

That is the inner dual.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2018, 08:02 PM   #25

Reace called me today to say that with the lift option and perhaps adjusting the king pin height that my truck should have no problem.

Now to get all my notes, questions, thoughts, wishes, etc organized so I know exactly what I'll be asking them to do to help get my Escape easily modifiable so I can do the additions they won't do.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:42 PM   #26

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
A big thanks to Tin for his wonderfully detailed and very accurate drawing showing all the relevant measurements for the 5.0TA. Our driveway slopes down and we have a big hump to go over when backing down from the street and I need all the clearance I can get. Between Tin's drawing and my own measurements of our truck I calculated that I could get 9" of clearance with the high lift axle.

I stressed out about this endlessly during the build process and while waiting to come pick it up. I had a hitch installed in our truck and set the hitch height at what I calculated would be just right. At our pickup at ETI last week when they hitched it up to our truck both the truck and trailer sat perfectly level, and I measured the clearance from the tailgate to the frame rails at 8-7/8"...whew!

Tin's drawings should be added to the files section of the forum if they are not there already - what an invaluable resource for other potential 5.0TA owners trying to determine hitch setup for their truck.

On a side note I am really happy with the suspension on our Ram - they switched from linear coil springs to new progressive coil springs this year that get stiffer under heavy load and the truck has very little squat when the trailer is hitched up. What I won't know until we get home next week is whether that 8-7/8" clearance will be enough to get me safely over the hump in my driveway. Plan B is ready to go just in case....
Attached Thumbnails
Rambo setup.jpg  

Tags
5.0, high bed rails, ram 3500, towing