5.0 TA & a big truck - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2018, 02:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Chalet Aframe & 2014 Montana 3900FB 5th wheel
Question 5.0 TA & a big truck

Id love to get this but do not know how compatible my truck would be. I have a full size tall bed truck due to my (mostly stationary) full time 5th wheel - unloaded the bed rails are approx 58 from the ground. It is a mostly stock, unlifted, 2016 Ram 3500 lwb crew cab 4x4 diesel dually with a rail mounted folding tonneau cover which adds another 1/2 or so. I have a B&W Companion hitch that is a bit height adjustable and the truck has automatic load leveling that can be set 1 lower.

Ive been purusing loads of posts here and found a post where someone with 56 high rails on their truck states 6 is the clearance they get with the optional 5.0 lift kit. That is about the bare minimum clearance needed and my rails are taller.

Anyone towing the 5.0 with a similar truck?

Would larger tires on the 5.0 fit decently in the wheel wells of a lifted 5.0?

I assume the king pin setup on the 5.0 is adjustable so that might help. It might even be possible to change the king pin to one that has more height adjustment or longer reach to move the overhang back but that might result in the nose being high. Thoughts?

If you have the lift on your 5.0, what is the distance from the ground to the king pin base that rides on the hitch when the camper is sitting level? That would let me compare to my current rig.

Note - I spend half or better of my time traveling & camping in an Aframe bumper pull trailer and the 5.0 would be replacing it and could potentially replace the monster 5th wheel I now have.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
My bed rails on my F150 HD are at 56" and have at least 6" clearance. I have the standard height trailer, have my B&W Patriot all the way down as the nose of the trailer is a little high, comes out to 16" high above the bed. I could, if needed raise the pin box one set of holes which is 2". The bed height of the truck is 34 at the tailgate, there is a bit of a slope from the tailgate to the cab so where the hitch rails are is a smidgen lower then the 34".

Don't know if the #'s help but that's all I can do for you.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
When buying our 5.0 TA I was told by ETI that up to 58 would work without a need for the raised axle option. This came in an email from Tammy.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:46 PM   #4

We are using an Anderson Ultimate which has 3 height positions. Truck wall is 56,trailer ride perfectly level. Dont think I have 6 clearance but have never had an issue. Have to measure that next time out.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:57 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I think Reace maybe the person who can answer that, he knows the limits on the 5,0 pretty good.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Chalet Aframe & 2014 Montana 3900FB 5th wheel
It sounds like I probably won’t have a problem with my elephant of a tow beast, especially with the high lift axle; tho only a drive to the factory with the hitch in the bed of the truck would be positive proof. Once I get all my dream rig items thought up for specific questions for the factory I’ll also address this with them.
~TomW
Old 07-31-2018, 05:59 PM   #7
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Hi StillCampin, 56" works with a 2nd gen 5.0 TA. 58" should work nicely with the lift and still maintain adequate clearence. But I would still speak with Reace just to verify. Hope this helps
Tin.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2017 5.0 TA _ Truck Comb..PNG (125.1 KB, 157 views)
File Type: png 1. 2017 TA Side.PNG (108.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: png 2. 2017 TA Back.PNG (68.1 KB, 81 views)
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
Id love to get this but do not know how compatible my truck would be. I have a full size tall bed truck due to my (mostly stationary) full time 5th wheel - unloaded the bed rails are approx 58 from the ground. It is a mostly stock, unlifted, 2016 Ram 3500 lwb crew cab 4x4 diesel dually with a rail mounted folding tonneau cover which adds another 1/2 or so. I have a B&W Companion hitch that is a bit height adjustable and the truck has automatic load leveling that can be set 1 lower.

Ive been purusing loads of posts here and found a post where someone with 56 high rails on their truck states 6 is the clearance they get with the optional 5.0 lift kit. That is about the bare minimum clearance needed and my rails are taller.

Anyone towing the 5.0 with a similar truck?

Would larger tires on the 5.0 fit decently in the wheel wells of a lifted 5.0?

I assume the king pin setup on the 5.0 is adjustable so that might help. It might even be possible to change the king pin to one that has more height adjustment or longer reach to move the overhang back but that might result in the nose being high. Thoughts?

If you have the lift on your 5.0, what is the distance from the ground to the king pin base that rides on the hitch when the camper is sitting level? That would let me compare to my current rig.

Note - I spend half or better of my time traveling & camping in an Aframe bumper pull trailer and the 5.0 would be replacing it and could potentially replace the monster 5th wheel I now have.
We are towing with a 3500 short bed with a bed rail height of 58 and the trailer has the raised suspension. We raised the pin box one hole and the trailer is pretty level hooked up for towing. We have 7 of clearance between the box and the frame of the trailer. Have had no clearance issues, we use the BW Patriot. Scott

Bikes make me happy!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Hi StillCampin, 56" works with a 2nd gen 5.0 TA. 58" should work nicely with the lift and still maintain adequate clearence. But I would still speak with Reace just to verify. Hope this helps
Tin.
What program are you using to generate these drawings?
Old 07-31-2018, 09:35 PM   #10

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Tin.

Those drawings are awesome! Hope you don't mind if I saved them on my computer for future reference?

Tags
5.0, high bed rails, ram 3500, towing