5.0 TA & a big truck - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2018, 02:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Question 5.0 TA & a big truck

I’d love to get this but do not know how compatible my truck would be. I have a full size tall bed truck due to my (mostly stationary) full time 5th wheel - unloaded the bed rails are approx 58” from the ground. It is a mostly stock, unlifted, 2016 Ram 3500 lwb crew cab 4x4 diesel dually with a rail mounted folding tonneau cover which adds another 1/2” or so. I have a B&W Companion hitch that is a bit height adjustable and the truck has automatic load leveling that can be set 1” lower.

I’ve been purusing loads of posts here and found a post where someone with 56” high rails on their truck states 6” is the clearance they get with the optional 5.0 lift kit. That is about the bare minimum clearance needed and my rails are taller.

Anyone towing the 5.0 with a similar truck?

Would larger tires on the 5.0 fit decently in the wheel wells of a lifted 5.0?

I assume the king pin setup on the 5.0 is adjustable so that might help. It might even be possible to change the king pin to one that has more height adjustment or longer reach to move the overhang back but that might result in the nose being high. Thoughts?

If you have the lift on your 5.0, what is the distance from the ground to the king pin base that rides on the hitch when the camper is sitting level? That would let me compare to my current rig.

Note - I spend half or better of my time traveling & camping in an Aframe bumper pull trailer and the 5.0 would be replacing it and could potentially replace the monster 5th wheel I now have.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:08 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
My bed rails on my F150 HD are at 56" and have at least 6" clearance. I have the standard height trailer, have my B&W Patriot all the way down as the nose of the trailer is a little high, comes out to 16" high above the bed. I could, if needed raise the pin box one set of holes which is 2". The bed height of the truck is 34 at the tailgate, there is a bit of a slope from the tailgate to the cab so where the hitch rails are is a smidgen lower then the 34".

Don't know if the #'s help but that's all I can do for you.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
When buying our 5.0 TA I was told by ETI that up to 58” would work without a need for the raised axle option. This came in an email from Tammy.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:46 PM   #4

We are using an Anderson Ultimate which has 3 height positions. Truck wall is 56”,trailer ride perfectly level. Don’t think I have 6” clearance but have never had an issue. Have to measure that next time out.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:57 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think Reace maybe the person who can answer that, he knows the limits on the 5,0 pretty good.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:43 PM   #6

It sounds like I probably won’t have a problem with my elephant of a tow beast, especially with the high lift axle; tho only a drive to the factory with the hitch in the bed of the truck would be positive proof. Once I get all my dream rig items thought up for specific questions for the factory I’ll also address this with them.
~TomW
Old 07-31-2018, 05:59 PM   #7
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Hi StillCampin, 56" works with a 2nd gen 5.0 TA. 58" should work nicely with the lift and still maintain adequate clearence. But I would still speak with Reace just to verify. Hope this helps
Tin.
Attached Thumbnails
2017 5.0 TA _ Truck Comb..PNG   1. 2017 TA Side.PNG   2. 2017 TA Back.PNG  
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
I’d love to get this but do not know how compatible my truck would be. I have a full size tall bed truck due to my (mostly stationary) full time 5th wheel - unloaded the bed rails are approx 58” from the ground. It is a mostly stock, unlifted, 2016 Ram 3500 lwb crew cab 4x4 diesel dually with a rail mounted folding tonneau cover which adds another 1/2” or so. I have a B&W Companion hitch that is a bit height adjustable and the truck has automatic load leveling that can be set 1” lower.

I’ve been purusing loads of posts here and found a post where someone with 56” high rails on their truck states 6” is the clearance they get with the optional 5.0 lift kit. That is about the bare minimum clearance needed and my rails are taller.

Anyone towing the 5.0 with a similar truck?

Would larger tires on the 5.0 fit decently in the wheel wells of a lifted 5.0?

I assume the king pin setup on the 5.0 is adjustable so that might help. It might even be possible to change the king pin to one that has more height adjustment or longer reach to move the overhang back but that might result in the nose being high. Thoughts?

If you have the lift on your 5.0, what is the distance from the ground to the king pin base that rides on the hitch when the camper is sitting level? That would let me compare to my current rig.

Note - I spend half or better of my time traveling & camping in an Aframe bumper pull trailer and the 5.0 would be replacing it and could potentially replace the monster 5th wheel I now have.
We are towing with a 3500 short bed with a bed rail height of 58” and the trailer has the raised suspension. We raised the pin box one hole and the trailer is pretty level hooked up for towing. We have 7” of clearance between the box and the frame of the trailer. Have had no clearance issues, we use the BW Patriot. Scott

Bikes make me happy!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Hi StillCampin, 56" works with a 2nd gen 5.0 TA. 58" should work nicely with the lift and still maintain adequate clearence. But I would still speak with Reace just to verify. Hope this helps
Tin.
What program are you using to generate these drawings?
Old 07-31-2018, 09:35 PM   #10

Trailer: none
Quote:
Tin.

Those drawings are awesome! Hope you don't mind if I saved them on my computer for future reference?
Old 08-01-2018, 02:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Those drawing look like they would be nice but the forum software has blurred the text. Could you point me to the originals?
StillCampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #12
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
What program are you using to generate these drawings?
Sketch up, I was just having fun with it. Auto-cad or Revit would have produced a much better and easier full scale model.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:17 PM   #13
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Those drawings are awesome! Hope you don't mind if I saved them on my computer for future reference?
No not at all, glad you liked.
Tin.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:20 PM   #14
Tin

Quote:
Those drawing look like they would be nice but the forum software has blurred the text. Could you point me to the originals?
Just do a (Save-as) to your desk top. You can then have and view on your comp.
Tin.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Text is sharp on my MacBook Air.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #16

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Both our Acer Chromebooks show crisp drawings too.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:58 PM   #17

Trailer: none
Quote:
Tin.

I used this method on a PC and viewed in Photo Gallery. Drawings look fine.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Tin.
I was originally viewing on my phone and could not read anything which is why I asked. I’m camping in my Aframe and my laptop is at home. But I’m now on my iPad and it is clear. - esp when I bring up the enlargement. Unfortunately, I’m new to the iPad and “save as” is no where to be found.

All is not lost, tho. I have figured out how to do a screen shot and that works just fine.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:21 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
I was originally viewing on my phone and could not read anything which is why I asked. I’m camping in my Aframe and my laptop is at home. But I’m now on my iPad and it is clear. - esp when I bring up the enlargement. Unfortunately, I’m new to the iPad and “save as” is no where to be found.

All is not lost, tho. I have figured out how to do a screen shot and that works just fine.
Drag your finger down from the top of your page, only bout a 1/4 in. Tool bar will open , on the right hand top will be a star, peck the star, a little box will open at the bottom of screen that says save in Mobil book marks, just let it save it. In Mobil book marks you can make files etc, etc.
Hope I did’nt confuse you. Hope I helped some what .
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Drag your finger down from the top of your page, only bout a 1/4 in. Tool bar will open , on the right hand top will be a star, peck the star, a little box will open at the bottom of screen that says save in Mobil book marks, just let it save it. In Mobil book marks you can make files etc, etc.
Hope I did’nt confuse you.
The steps you describe makes perfect sense but my iPad doesn’t work that way nor does it match the videos. Drag down from the top gets me schedule info. In addition, the 2 videos I watched both show only 6 icons on the lower bar - I have 8.

Thanks anyway.

Tags
5.0, high bed rails, ram 3500, towing