5.0 TA: Anderson Ultimate Gooseneck or Ranch Hitch Adapter? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-26-2019, 09:01 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Bellingham, Washington
Trailer: 2009 Four Wheel
Posts: 5
5.0 TA: Anderson Ultimate Gooseneck or Ranch Hitch Adapter?

The Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel vs. Andersen Ranch Hitch Adapter thread was closed but I want to share some information that I got directly from Andersen.

Check out the original thread for some responses:

5.0 TA: Anderson Ultimate Gooseneck or Ranch Hitch Adapter?


I was wondering why people already with a gooseneck ball like mine use the gooseneck version of the Anderson Ultimate rather than Andersen's Ranch Hitch Adapter. The Ranch Hitch adapter fastens to the pin box and pin of a trailer and extends down to the gooseneck ball, turning the trailer into a gooseneck trailer. Using the Ranch Hitch if you already have a gooseneck ball,there' s nothing in the truck bed when towing like the pyramid of the Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection.

I contacted Andersen customer service about this issue and got the answer that the "Ultimate 5th wheel will give you best ride and support."
__________________

HawkeyeEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:49 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Houston, Texas
Trailer: Future 5.0 owner
Posts: 21
The Goosebox is approved by Lippert. That's how I'm going.
__________________

TexanAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:10 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAviator View Post
The Goosebox is approved by Lippert. That's how I'm going.
It is approved by Lippert specifically for use with their fifth-wheel trailer frames. Escape currently uses Lippert pin boxes, but has never used Lippert frames.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:13 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Houston, Texas
Trailer: Future 5.0 owner
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It is approved by Lippert specifically for use with their fifth-wheel trailer frames. Escape currently uses Lippert pin boxes, but has never used Lippert frames.
Ahh that sucks. Might be best anyways since my tow vehicle will be on the tall side.
TexanAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:53 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Chotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Naugatuck, Connecticut
Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeEZ View Post
The Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel vs. Andersen Ranch Hitch Adapter thread was closed but I want to share some information that I got directly from Andersen.

Check out the original thread for some responses:

5.0 TA: Anderson Ultimate Gooseneck or Ranch Hitch Adapter?


I was wondering why people already with a gooseneck ball like mine use the gooseneck version of the Anderson Ultimate rather than Andersen's Ranch Hitch Adapter. The Ranch Hitch adapter fastens to the pin box and pin of a trailer and extends down to the gooseneck ball, turning the trailer into a gooseneck trailer. Using the Ranch Hitch if you already have a gooseneck ball,there' s nothing in the truck bed when towing like the pyramid of the Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection.

I contacted Andersen customer service about this issue and got the answer that the "Ultimate 5th wheel will give you best ride and support."
Using the Ranch hitch would mean Iíd have remove stuff in the bed before hitching then try to load after hitched up. With a full cooler or my large stow box this wood be near impossible. I use the rail mount Andersen which even allows me to stow stuff right under it .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8494EDDA-6556-4C62-833E-E3BC7488B23F.jpg (300.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 472A3884-0315-4E66-9ACA-64B599DFA9D5.jpg (294.9 KB, 30 views)
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:00 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Houston, Texas
Trailer: Future 5.0 owner
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Using the Ranch hitch would mean Iíd have remove stuff in the bed before hitching then try to load after hitched up. With a full cooler or my large stow box this wood be near impossible. I use the rail mount Andersen which even allows me to stow stuff right under it .
That's a great setup. I want to do an auxiliary water tank in my bed, this would be perfect.
TexanAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:43 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Chotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Naugatuck, Connecticut
Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAviator View Post
That's a great setup. I want to do an auxiliary water tank in my bed, this would be perfect.
You can see there is enough room for another tote box and then some. Thatís only a 6.5í bed. Now if you are planning on a big water tank you better think about payload.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:20 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Dover, Vermont
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0 TA!
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAviator View Post
That's a great setup. I want to do an auxiliary water tank in my bed, this would be perfect.
I carry a 30 gal poly tank with an rv pump and an old deep cell battery to power it. It lives in my truck at the front of the bed with my honda 3000is generator. My Toyota tundra does not have a problem with payload with these two items.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:27 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Chotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Naugatuck, Connecticut
Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
I carry a 30 gal poly tank with an rv pump and an old deep cell battery to power it. It lives in my truck at the front of the bed with my honda 3000is generator. My Toyota tundra does not have a problem with payload with these two items.
🤔Thatís probably somewhere around 450 to 500 lbs. and you didnít mention gas for the generator, that wouldnít overload my F150 either but add the other stuff I already carry and the pin weight of the trailer, hitch Iíd be over on my particular truck. Just saying adding 500 +/- lbs is not insignificant.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:51 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Dover, Vermont
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0 TA!
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
🤔Thatís probably somewhere around 450 to 500 lbs. and you didnít mention gas for the generator, that wouldnít overload my F150 either but add the other stuff I already carry and the pin weight of the trailer, hitch Iíd be over on my particular truck. Just saying adding 500 +/- lbs is not insignificant.
Well while you are right it is not insignificant your numbers are a bit high....30 x 8.34 = 250.2 + 130 for generator = 380.2 and that includes fuel is a real number. I do not often travel with the water tank full and if I do it is for shorter distances(why cart around extra weight?). More often than not I use the tank to go get water when I am running low. There are a few occasions where I know that water will not be available and carry it along. We tend to travel on the light side of things. While I do not know the weights related to my trailer I have been loading and traveling in pickups for over 40 years and know mine is still in the safe range....plenty of spring rate to go, headlights are not blinding other drivers, truck rides and handles well, etc. That being said YES YOU NEED TO BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVERLOAD YOUR TRUCK OR TRAILER AND NEED TO KNOW HOW TO TELL. Nuff said?
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:00 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
You can see there is enough room for another tote box and then some. Thatís only a 6.5í bed. Now if you are planning on a big water tank you better think about payload.
Hi. I have a 6.5 bed with my F250 and have been worried about clearance. I have a gooseneck ball because I pull a gooseneck horse trailer. I will be getting the Anderson converter. Does your Anderson connect to a ball or do you have the rails? I am more concerned with clearance of the bed sides and tailgate than I am of the cab windows. Do you think I will have any problems?
__________________
Carmel Clown
Carmel Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:24 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
davidmurphy02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
Hi. I have a 6.5 bed with my F250 and have been worried about clearance. I have a gooseneck ball because I pull a gooseneck horse trailer. I will be getting the Anderson converter. Does your Anderson connect to a ball or do you have the rails? I am more concerned with clearance of the bed sides and tailgate than I am of the cab windows. Do you think I will have any problems?
The attached file, created by a forum member (it's also in the file section of the forum) has dimensions and measurements of the 5.0TA that are very helpful in determining how it will match up with a truck. As far as bed side clearance, the front frame rails are 60.5" above the ground. The high lift axle kit would increase that height by 2.6" to just over 63". You can measure the bed rail height of your truck and see how that would match up - bearing in mind that your truck will settle one to two inches lower when the trailer is hitched up. Six inches is recommended as a general rule of thumb for adequate clearance. Some people have managed with a little less than that, others get the high lift axle to allow more clearance for uneven terrain.

These measurements are independent of what type of hitch you have. Most hitches have several inches of vertical adjustment in them in order to have the trailer riding as close to level as possible since the height of each truck will vary.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hitch and truck specs 5.0TA.pdf (181.8 KB, 13 views)
__________________
David, Mary, and 3 Cats
davidmurphy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:35 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 24
Thank you David
__________________
Carmel Clown
Carmel Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:43 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
davidmurphy02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Posts: 709
There are a number of forum members who tow the 5.0TA with 3/4 ton trucks with no problem. Our 2019 RAM 1500 has pretty tall bed rails, about 55". With the high lift axle on our 5.0TA we have almost 9" of clearance. For normal driving I would have been fine without it, but we have a large hump to go over backing into our driveway and I need every bit of that extra space to just clear without bumping. I'm glad I have it, I've noticed several times when traveling and pulling out of a sloped parking lot at an angle that the trailer frame will tilt to one side quite a bit but with the extra clearance it has never come close to hitting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hitch setup with high lift axle.jpg (187.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Driveway 2.jpg (240.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Driveway 1.jpg (193.5 KB, 13 views)
__________________
David, Mary, and 3 Cats
davidmurphy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:52 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 24
Oh, then I should probably be good with the 58" high sides because I am getting the extra lift too and I know that the Anderson hitch has 3 holes to adjust height. Thanks.
__________________
Carmel Clown
Carmel Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:33 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Chotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Naugatuck, Connecticut
Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Well while you are right it is not insignificant your numbers are a bit high....30 x 8.34 = 250.2 + 130 for generator = 380.2 and that includes fuel is a real number. I do not often travel with the water tank full and if I do it is for shorter distances(why cart around extra weight?). More often than not I use the tank to go get water when I am running low. ........That being said YES YOU NEED TO BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVERLOAD YOUR TRUCK OR TRAILER AND NEED TO KNOW HOW TO TELL. Nuff said?
🤔I was figuring in the tank, pump and battery you mentioned as well. I have no idea what your payload is and definitely did not mean to imply you are exceeding it . Just making an observation. And in in my 50+ years driving Iíve seen plenty of overloaded trucks, repaired a few myself. 😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Chotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Naugatuck, Connecticut
Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
Hi. I have a 6.5 bed with my F250 and have been worried about clearance. I have a gooseneck ball because I pull a gooseneck horse trailer. I will be getting the Anderson converter. Does your Anderson connect to a ball or do you have the rails? I am more concerned with clearance of the bed sides and tailgate than I am of the cab windows. Do you think I will have any problems?
Mine is rail mounted. The height of the bed sidewall is 55.5Ē. The trailer rides level and I have plenty of clearance as well as easily doing a 90 degree turn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F54B6AF9-04F6-4A6A-A716-6D7578070B71.jpg (135.2 KB, 13 views)
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:18 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Dover, Vermont
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0 TA!
Posts: 278
Fair enough! Prob 425 with all that stuff. I am a bit sensitive as I did my homework and often times people expect you to weigh everything out(and go on and on about it!)...if you are used to loading trucks it is pretty easy to tell if you got it right! Mine tows like a dream w/the Tundra and I bet the F 150 is great too, similar trucks with similar weight limitations though. Do you ever come through S VT or between Bennington and Albany? I saw another 5.0 TA this summer....was it you?
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:30 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Chotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Naugatuck, Connecticut
Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Fair enough! Prob 425 with all that stuff. I am a bit sensitive as I did my homework and often times people expect you to weigh everything out(and go on and on about it!)...if you are used to loading trucks it is pretty easy to tell if you got it right! Mine tows like a dream w/the Tundra and I bet the F 150 is great too, similar trucks with similar weight limitations though. Do you ever come through S VT or between Bennington and Albany? I saw another 5.0 TA this summer....was it you?
1 of our favorite campgrounds is an Army Corp of Engineers site, Winhall Brook in S Londonderry. We camped there 3 different times this year. Love that place and the area in general.👍👍
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:30 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 24
Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Carmel Clown
Carmel Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×