5.0 TA hitch for 2016 Toyota Tacoma? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2016, 12:50 PM   #21

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_Escaper View Post
Mine is a single axle 5.0, with V6 and a 6 speed manual trans. I had absolutely no power problems on the hills/mountain passes. Did some pretty steep climbs last summer into and over the Big Horns in Wyoming and Beartooths of Montana
Thanks Eddie. I would expect a pretty big difference pulling a 5.0 vs a 5.0TA but it's good to know the OP can get a hitch for either installed in the Taco.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This thread may be the exception, as no one has made any such suggestion so far.

I assume that this is Scamp's current rail-mounted ball mount, which they call a "fifth wheel hitch", not the old thing that was screwed to the truck box. This is the frame (legs and crossmember) of a fifth-wheel hitch (I think it's a Reese), carrying a ball instead of a fifth-wheel head, and mounted to the truck by "industry standard" rails, which in turn mount to the frame with brackets under the box floor.

As far as mounting to the truck is concerned, this is just like any fifth-wheel, so the Scamp 19' experience is relevant to an Escape (although a Scamp 19' is the size and weight of an Escape 5.0, not the wider and heavier 5.0TA). As far as the ball connection is concerned, this is functionally the same as using the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection system, although Scamp uses a 2" diameter ball instead of the 2-5/16" used by Andersen and far more common in this sort of connection.

I suppose an Escape 5.0/5.0TA owner could use this (or their own home-brew equivalent), with Andersen's coupler (or equivalent). Scamp owners don't need the coupler - the Scamp 19' comes with a 2" coupler, not a fifth-wheel pin.

Eddie, you might want to fix the trailer description in your profile from "1986 escaper" to whatever year of "Escape 5.0".
Brian ,my point was why do these question keep popping up.
For example the Tacoma according to the Internet has a payload capacity of 1280 lbs
The pin weight of a 5.0 TA is listed at 600 lbs but some say their pin weight is close to 900 lbs so I will average the two.
600 lbs + 900 lbs ÷ 2 = 750 lbs
The 5 th wheel hitch = 100 lbs
Two passengers @ 175 lbs ea = 350 lbs
1280 lb payload
- 750 lbs pin weight
- 100 lbs hitch weight
- 350 lbs passenger weight
= 80 lbs spare for cargo / dog / options assuming my assumed weights are accurate.
The numbers speak for themselves plus from what I have read Toyota does not list the Tacoma for 5th wheel towing.
The fact that the Tacoma is that close to its stated limits and the fact that Toyota says not to do it would be enough for me.
I have a Ram 1500 which has a payload of 1430 lbs but I would not attempt to tow a 5.0 TA for the same reasons as the Tacoma.
As my Dad use to say " Just because you can doesn't make it right "
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #23

Trailer: none
It's worth remembering that an Escape 5th wheel is not what most people (manufacturers and car dealers, etc) think of when you mention a 5th wheel trailers. The Escape 5.0 and 5.0TA certainly do not have the same tow vehicle requirements as the big 5th wheel RV's.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #24

Trailer: 2007 escape 5.0
Thanks Steve, I think I fixed my bad (old) handle. The towing capacities are listed on the inside of the driver door on my '13 Tacoma. This ensures you interpret the manual correctly. My Tacoma has a towing package and rates the TWR at 6500 lbs (w my cab and engine). The new TA is listed at less than half that. The tongue weight is 600lbs,, not sure how ETI would allow that to be 50% higher (900 lbs), that would be a gross misrepresentation, but I have not actually weighed mine. The take away (and this is strictly opinion) is I have had absolutely not even a hint of a problem with towing my 5.0 with my Tacoma, and if I am interpreting the specs correctly the 5.0 TA uses less than half the rating recommended. I do agree that Toyota says clearly that they do not recommend this truck for a 5th wheel trailer. But you will see many happy Escape owners pulling with one!
Eddie_Escaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:01 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
I gotta say, I was mighty concerned when we bought our 2011 Nissan Titan last month. Oh sure, it did have the Big Tow package, with suspension all over the place, and the 3.36 rear axle geared to a 3.76. And even air bags!! But the payload wasn't over-the-moon.

So in typical fashion, I worried. A lot. Until like an epiphany sent from the heavens, I remembered.............Alf has a Frontier!!
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:20 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Towing 5.0TA with Tacoma

I also have a Taco CrewCab with the short bed and we're picking up our 5.0TA in September. I have studied this issue ad nauseam and come up with the following data and conclusions (from an engineer with 25 years experience).

Given the Taco GVWR (5500-5600 depending on your model), curb weight, and passengers (plus small dog), there are ~925lbs left for the hitch and trailer weight. Assuming a loaded trailer weight of 750 plus 100 for the hitch, that leaves ~75 lbs for misc stuff in the back of the truck, so the GVWR issue is close, but it works. And given the conservative values used on vehicle design, I'm not worried about it (and Alf's experience confirms this).

The bigger problem with the short bed is the clearance to the cab. The short bed has 21" from the center of the axle. If you use the std hitch installed with the 5.0TA, the rotation point is ~5.5" in front of the face of the trailer, and the trailer will impact the cab at about a 45 degree turn, if you mount the hitch exactly on the axle centerline. If you use a Reese Sidewinder Kingpin, the rotation point is moved back 22". The trailer will then impact the cab almost exactly at a 90 degree turn. Given, I'd prefer to mount the hitch FORWARD of the axle and I don't like pushing things this close, I've decided that the Taco short bed is simply too short. The Sidewinder demo video shows a great installation on a CrewCab pickup with a short bed, but this is on a full size pickup that has a lot more clearance between the axle and the cab.

I really didn't want to go to a full size for many reasons, so we're looking a getting a new Taco ACCESS cab. This is basically the same vehicle we have now, but the bed is 12" longer (same vehicle length). The distance between the cab and axle is 35". If I use the Sidewinder mount and the hitch 7" forward of the axle, I can make a 97 degree turn before the trailer impacts the cab. I simply chose 7" to maximize the weight distributed forward of the axle, and provide ma a comfortable margin during a turn.

Hope this helps and provides some options other than the Ford F-150. I simply like the reliability of Toyotas and flexibility of the smaller truck. FYI, I was also going to mount three cameras with the video routed to a 7" tablet to provide better visibility (without jury rigging tow mirrors that stick out a foot!).
CaptJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJoe View Post
Hope this helps and provides some options other than the Ford F-150. I simply like the reliability of Toyotas and flexibility of the smaller truck. FYI, I was also going to mount three cameras with the video routed to a 7" tablet to provide better visibility (without jury rigging tow mirrors that stick out a foot!).
If you are buying a new truck, why not get one with stock trailering mirrors. They work great, and I highly recommend them. I know Alf installed aftermarket ones that look like a great thing too.

I have a bit of concern with monitoring 3 different cameras as you drive. Plus, I would bet some jurisdictions will insist on proper mirrors for pulling the trailer, and would not consider cameras as a substitute.

Otherwise, you certainly seem to have thought out your tow vehicle to quite a degree, and I am sure it will work good for you. I am loving my F-150, though have yet to tow anything other than a cargo trailer with it. But for me, it is a step down in truck size, so I find it quite small, and can go anywhere with it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:56 PM   #28

Well, I might need to eat some serious crow. I just got off the phone with Wayne at Trademasters and discussed the issue. While no one on this forum has mentioned this, Trademaster routinely mounts the hitch for the 5.0TA BEHIND the axle to provide sufficient clearance for the cab. The only real concern here is exceeding the rear axle rating (GAWR) of 3110 lbs, but that's not really a concern with a rear axle curb weight of 1883 lbs. For our situation, this would put the hitch about 45-46" behind the cab. I still like the idea of moving the hitch weight forward of the axle, but Wayne thinks it's a waste of money. And to be fare, the Sidewinder installation would add a little to the total weight on the truck, and GVWR is already tight. After my chat with Wayne, I'm going to keep my short bed, utilize the std hitch and concentrate on moving any weight possible to the rear of the trailer. This should minimize the hitch weight and the GVWR issue.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Given the Taco GVWR (5500-5600 depending on your model), curb weight, and passengers (plus small dog), there are ~925lbs left for the hitch and trailer weight. Assuming a loaded trailer weight of 750 plus 100 for the hitch, that leaves ~75 lbs for misc stuff in the back of the truck, so the GVWR issue is close, but it works.
Even the simplest and lightest conventional fifth-wheel I can think of - the Curt E16 with rails - weighs 154 pounds plus the weight of the frame mounting brackets. I think at best you have zero left for miscellaneous stuff, and more likely you're already over. An Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection would be lighter, but it's still tight.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If you are buying a new truck, why not get one with stock trailering mirrors. They work great, and I highly recommend them. I know Alf installed aftermarket ones that look like a great thing too.

I have a bit of concern with monitoring 3 different cameras as you drive. Plus, I would bet some jurisdictions will insist on proper mirrors for pulling the trailer, and would not consider cameras as a substitute.

Otherwise, you certainly seem to have thought out your tow vehicle to quite a degree, and I am sure it will work good for you. I am loving my F-150, though have yet to tow anything other than a cargo trailer with it. But for me, it is a step down in truck size, so I find it quite small, and can go anywhere with it.
Believe it our not, there isn't a stock towing mirror for the Taco, nor have I seen or heard of an aftermarket version; it's an issue! The camera display is actually quite easy on a tablet turned sideways showing all three views.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:05 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Believe it our not, there isn't a stock towing mirror for the Taco, nor have I seen or heard of an aftermarket version; it's an issue! The camera display is actually quite easy on a tablet turned sideways showing all three views.
I thought they did have them. I must be thinking of the Tundra. Nonetheless, a feature I love to have when towing.

I wonder if the place Alf got them for his Frontier carries them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:07 PM   #32

Quote:
The bigger problem with the short bed is the clearance to the cab. The short bed has 21" from the center of the axle. If you use the std hitch installed with the 5.0TA, the rotation point is ~5.5" in front of the face of the trailer, and the trailer will impact the cab at about a 45 degree turn, if you mount the hitch exactly on the axle centerline.
That makes sense to me.

Quote:
If you use a Reese Sidewinder Kingpin, the rotation point is moved back 22". The trailer will then impact the cab almost exactly at a 90 degree turn. Given, I'd prefer to mount the hitch FORWARD of the axle and I don't like pushing things this close, I've decided that the Taco short bed is simply too short. The Sidewinder demo video shows a great installation on a CrewCab pickup with a short bed, but this is on a full size pickup that has a lot more clearance between the axle and the cab.
I realize that the Sidewinder is no longer the plan (since I started composing this reply!) but...

I wouldn't consider the Sidewinder, but if you do, I strongly suggest asking Reace if the trailer's structure can handle the stress of having the support point swung out to one side when turning, and that it can handle the stress of having the pinbox greatly extended, and confirming that your chosen 5th wheel hitch is compatible with the twisting force (around the vertical axis) imposed by use of the Sidewinder (a Curt Q-series, for instance, is not). Then there are the weight and cost factors.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #33

Quote:
I also have a Taco CrewCab with the short bed...
I really didn't want to go to a full size for many reasons, so we're looking a getting a new Taco ACCESS cab. This is basically the same vehicle we have now, but the bed is 12" longer (same vehicle length). The distance between the cab and axle is 35".
You can also get the Tacoma Double Cab ("crew cab") with the longer box (same box as you have with the Access Cab) - the wheelbase and overall truck length are a foot longer.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
An Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection would be lighter, but it's still tight.
Know anyone with experience with the Anderson Ultimate? The rail version is advertised as only 40 lbs. and simple operation.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I wonder if the place Alf got them for his Frontier carries them.
No, it doesn't look like it. A search of 1A Auto for 2015 Tacoma "mirror" doesn't find any towing mirrors. (The listed wiring harness is a generic part for multiple brands, and doesn't indicate that a towing mirror is available).
Old 04-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Well, I might need to eat some serious crow. I just got off the phone with Wayne at Trademasters and discussed the issue. While no one on this forum has mentioned this, Trademaster routinely mounts the hitch for the 5.0TA BEHIND the axle to provide sufficient clearance for the cab.
Trademasters installed the hitch in my truck. I swear it's right over the axle. And I have the 5.5 F-150 bed. I'll see if I can take a picture... between rain drops. I've come dang close to jackknifing the two and haven't hit the truck yet (knock on wood).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #37

Quote:
Know anyone with experience with the Anderson Ultimate? The rail version is advertised as only 40 lbs. and simple operation.
Mike (Scuba55) is using a rail-mounted Andersen Ultimate (looks like the steel version), and showed it in his post in Towing with a Ram 1500. Others have discussed it and are planning to use it (Jim Bennett has his "gooseneck" version installed and is just waiting for the trailer to be built), but I can't remember if anyone else already has experience with this setup.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:25 PM   #38

Problem with Taco short bed is it's only a 5 ft bed and the axle is only 21" behind the cab.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #39

Quote:
Problem with Taco short bed is it's only a 5 ft bed and the axle is only 21" behind the cab.
Right... and the longer bed (standard with the Access Cab and available with the Double Cab) is about six feet long, providing that 35 inch cab-to-axle clearance.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:22 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 19, Escape 23 on order
Quote:
Check the posts I had in this thread:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...rors-7569.html

I like my 4Runner + 19, but still think about owning a Taco or Tundra with a 5.0 TA though.
smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote