5.0 TA Hitch: Reese Pro Series 15K ETI Option - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Haven’t purchased a 5.0ta yet, but’s it is number one candidate at this point. I have a short bed pickup-I am assuming that the like other 5th wheel traliers the 5.0 requires either manuel or automatic slide when a 90 degree turn is made?
Hi: cab... I switched to a Ram Eco D. 4X4 with a 5'7" box. I do have a slider hitch but never slid it since 2008 when I caught the Escape strain of the fiberglass flu. Previous to the Ram I had a 2010 Nissan Frontier 6' 1" bed pickup.
Reace who own's Escape along with his wife Tammy tow a 5.0TA with a F150 Crew Cab 4X4 and that's a 5' 5" bed I think. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:32 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I have a short bed pickup-I am assuming that the like other 5th wheel traliers the 5.0 requires either manuel or automatic slide when a 90 degree turn is made?
No. The Escape 5.0TA is much narrower than most 5th wheel travel trailers, so it needs less room between the hitch and the cab for a given angle of turn. It is also lighter than most 5th wheel trailers so it has lower pin weight and so the hitch can be mounted further back without exceeding the truck's rear axle capacity. The result is that most full-sized pickups can have a fixed hitch mounted in a location which allows sufficient turning angle with a 5.0TA. Very few 5.0TA owners use a sliding hitch.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:17 PM   #23
cab

Trailer: None
Thanks so much for that info. Makes sense as you explain it. Makes me look forward to joining the “owners community” soon. Cb
cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:18 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
🤔You might want to check out the Anderson Ultimate before you pull the trigger.
It weighs less than any other and has both vertical and horizontal adjustable without tools.
Attached Thumbnails
3BF0201D-DBE7-46F9-8EE4-600761831C38.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
It weighs less than any other and has both vertical and horizontal adjustable without tools.
I second this. After extensive searching I landed on this as my choice. I did get the gooseneck mount version so I could have a clean bed, but if you don't need that I would get the rail mount. It is so smooth and quiet in operation, and is very lightweight for easy removal when needed. Like the others, a bit of an overkill for the 5.0TA.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #26
cab

Trailer: None
Is that pictured in a short bed truck? I will definitely check it out. And thanks-live the forum!

Cb
cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Is that pictured in a short bed truck?
"Short" is a relative term. What would have been considered "short bed" decades ago is now considered the standard for full-sized trucks.

Very few Escape owners have an 8-foot pickup bed. 6.5-foot is a very common choice (the "standard bed" of today), but many even with full-size trucks are towing the 5.0TA with a 5.5-foot bed (and a hitch placed further rearward than the standard installation).
Old 08-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #28

Trailer: none
Quote:

A bit off topic now but a question regarding the Anderson. Are the rail mounts a standard item with this hitch, or an option?
Old 08-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
A bit off topic now but a question regarding the Anderson. Are the rail mounts a standard item with this hitch, or an option?
The Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection system is available with a choice of two anchoring methods:
  1. clamp to ball mounted in bed (which they call "gooseneck")
  2. pin to common transverse rails
In both cases, the part attached to the bed (the ball hitch or rails) is not included with the hitch, and not available from Andersen.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Is that pictured in a short bed truck? I will definitely check it out. And thanks-live the forum!

Cb
Truck is 2016 4x4, F150, 6.5’ bed.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #31

Quote:
The rail mounts are a Reese item, specific to truck that required no frame drilling bought separately. If I remove the Anderson I can drop in any conventional 5th wheel hitch. Did the install myself in about 6 hours. Could do better if I had to do again.😊
Old 08-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #32

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection system is available with a choice of two anchoring methods:
Quote:
Truck is 2016 4x4, F150, 6.5’ bed.
It was Chotch that sent us pictures and measurements of his bed (identical to ours) that helped us realize the 5.0 was the correct decision for us. We are avid trike riders (pedal, ICE trikes), so will be hauling one trike on the rear hitch and another in the bed (folded). The couple that showed us their 5.0 has the gooseneck version that takes up more space in the bed than the bed-rail version. We'll have no problem hauling one trike in the bed with the bed-rail version as well as extra room for more needless $#!+.

Thank you Chotch for sending us the measurements and pictures!

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #33

glad I could help.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
In both cases, the part attached to the bed (the ball hitch or rails) is not included with the hitch, and not available from Andersen.
Thanks, Brian. A few questions:

1. Where does one buy the rails?

2. The rails look as if you can adjust the side-to-side location of the hitch mount. If so, what is the value of that? Wouldn't you always want to center the hitch in the bed?
Old 08-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #35

Quote:
Thanks, Brian. A few questions:

2. The rails look as if you can adjust the side-to-side location of the hitch mount. If so, what is the value of that? Wouldn't you always want to center the hitch in the bed?
Bought both rail mount, which includes the brackets that bolt to frame, and the Anderson hitch from Etrailer.

The hitch is mounted in center left to right and centered over axle front to back. You have some option on the front to back as the hitch itself is offset. It can go in either way. Depends on your need.😎
Attached Thumbnails
C674D84B-5CAF-426A-977F-BCC2F4C342E1.jpg  
Old 08-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #36

Quote:
The best feature of these "industry standard" rails is that they are really common - almost every manufacturer of towing equipment makes them, and every store selling fifth-wheel towing equipment offers them. Pick anyone cheap and handy, but I suggest getting them with a vehicle-specific mounting bracket kit as Chotch mentioned, although those kits may not place the rails where you want them.

Quote:
The multiple holes (slots) are to accommodate various widths of hitch, not to allow anything to be mounted off-centre. This image (from eTrailer) shows three sets of holes are different spacings, including the pair 20.5" apart (on centre) used by current Reese fifth-wheel hitches.

The many small square holes are for the bolts which attach the rails to the truck, in various location to suit different trucks (you wouldn't use all of them at the same time).

The extra holes/slots can be handy, such as to mount safety chain loops or to secure extra length of an electrical cable. In Chotch's photo just above, you can see a safety chain loop installed in the outboard slot of the forward rail, beside the base of the Andersen frame.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:13 PM   #37

Ah, I see. Thanks Chotch and Brian!
Old 08-05-2018, 10:54 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA 2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Quote:
Haven’t purchased a 5.0ta yet, but’s it is number one candidate at this point. I have a short bed pickup-I am assuming that the like other 5th wheel traliers the 5.0 requires either manuel or automatic slide when a 90 degree turn is made?
I've got a 5'7" short bed Ram 1500 EcoDiesel with an Andersen Hitch, gooseneck mount. Overkill, for sure, but it gives me a clean bed and the ability to do U-turns in tighter spaces than you can imagine.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8144.jpg  
Rapha is offline   Reply With Quote