5.0 TA rock guard ideas - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2016, 05:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
5.0 TA rock guard ideas

I would like to start a thread for rock/stone protection for the 5.0 and the 5.0 TA.

In an earlier thread I made the comment that after two seasons of camping here in Alaska, the Yukon and a couple of trips up and down the Cassiar Highway to Washington that we were getting some stone dings on our trailer. I know, I know some here call the dings beauty marks but at this time our trailer is beautiful enough and couldn’t be much prettier.

So far the idea’s that I have heard from other forum members:

Spray on bed liner

Auto film protector

Fabric stone protector

Factory vinyl stone mats (Not available for the 5.0 TA)

This may not be a big deal for a lot of people but we plan on keeping this trailer for a long, long time and I like to keep my things nice. A lot of you have driven the ALCAN, Cassiar, Denali, Top of the World and Dempster Highway so you know what I’m talking about.

During the winters the highway departments use a small pea gravel/sand mix for traction during the winters and during the perpetual road construction they use something similar before they lay the new asphalt. These small rocks are the perfect size getting caught in the tire treads, then thrown into windshields, hoods and trailers.

Almost all of trailers that you see up here, even the ones hauling snow machines and four wheelers all use some form of metal plate up front for protection from the rocks, gravel and mud. What I’ve done so far is mount two 12” X 24” sheets of diamond plate from Home Depot using U bolts on the front frame. I left about 3” overlap with a 45 degree bend to the outside; this really helps on keeping mud and tar off the trailer. My plans for this spring are to spot weld a couple pieces of angle iron with either holes or some sort of bayonet type mount for easy removal of the rock shield for cleaning and waxing of trailer.

So far I’ve tried the auto film protection, I used a do it your self kit, mud got in the edges, discoloration and got some marks in the gel coat from larger rocks. May try the film over the front cap, professionally installed this time. So far with Rock Tamers on the truck, (they ugly) and diamond plate on the frame I have had no rock damage and the trailer stays a lot cleaner on muddy roads. Here is a picture of my set up now, (if you zoom the image you can kind of see the back of trailer rock guards).

I'll try to post better pictures of the finished product this spring, unless the great minds on this forum come up with better ideas. Scott

Scott, Lori and Fritz the snow Schnauzer

Fat bikes are FUN!
Attached Thumbnails
Carcross.jpg  
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What is in the rear bag, bikes or motorbike?
Old 01-25-2016, 06:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What is in the rear bag, bikes or motorbike?
Jim, our summer mountain bikes. Carcross and Whitehorse have wonderful mountain bike trail systems. The bike cover is by Formosa and it fits the 1 Up rack with two bikes perfectly. We went on a month long trip this summer over the Top of the World Highway, up to Tombstone Territorial Park and back home with lots of dirt, mud and rain and the bikes stayed in immaculate shape, nice smooth drive systems.

Once again thank you for the bamboo shower mat idea. Send your snow north, 40 degrees and melting. Scott

Fat bikes are FUN!
Old 01-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You are welcome, hope to see you on the road one day...
Old 01-25-2016, 06:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
E-mail ETI to day about extra wheel well protection this was their reply.

The Extra Wheel Well protection is available, called Linex (Rock Protection). It comes standard on the storage box, and also there are two standard pieces that can be snapped on to the front of the trailer, on the driver's side and the passenger side. The Linex is an additional charge of $300, and it is sprayed onto the wheel wells of your trailer.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
Nice looking rig and beautiful country.

Have used a rock guard that mounts to the trailer hitch when towing boats on gravel. It helped quite a bit and kept things cleaner as you suggested. Haven't towed the 19 on gravel roads much, but even though have a front box I think I may add the auto protection film on exposed edges. Had it on a previous vehicle and it worked well - professionally installed.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:19 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Need something for the forward side of the step and it's bracket too, gets chipped up pretty quick and rusts.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Spray on bed liner is a solution that would work good, though quite permanent. I have considered doing it. It may happen at a later date, not sure though.

I almost certainly am going to get 3M protection done, and have it done by the guys that did my truck. They did a great job. Yours lifting at the edges is common with other owner performed jobs. The stuff is tough, and not too difficult to remove if needed. I talked to the shop when I got my truck done, and they said it would not be very expensive at all to do.

My opinion on the vinyl ones that Escape provides is that they are fugly.

Scott, do you have any photos of the aluminum diamond plate installed. This idea sounds interesting to me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:47 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Putting vinyl on the gelcoat with snaps reminds me of all the car bras in the 1980s... that thoroughly trashed the paint. Not for me, but the spray on bed liner may be in the future under the loft of Ten Forward if I run into rock chip issues.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I remind you that the spray-on bed liner does not leave a smooth finish. And, even on a smooth finish cow crap is a real PIA to clean off.
Attached Thumbnails
Cattle road.jpg  
Old 01-25-2016, 08:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Spray on bed liner is a solution that would work good, though quite permanent. I have considered doing it. It may happen at a later date, not sure though.

I almost certainly am going to get 3M protection done, and have it done by the guys that did my truck. They did a great job. Yours lifting at the edges is common with other owner performed jobs. The stuff is tough, and not too difficult to remove if needed. I talked to the shop when I got my truck done, and they said it would not be very expensive at all to do.

My opinion on the vinyl ones that Escape provides is that they are fugly.

Scott, do you have any photos of the aluminum diamond plate installed. This idea sounds interesting to me.

Jim, I’ll post pictures this spring after I get the trailer out of covered storage. It figures we got no snow, should of left it out in the driveway. Right now I just have my beta version, which is just a couple of Home Depot diamond plate sheets held on with some U bolts. I plan on bead weld some angle iron on the frame for the plate mounts and bringing them out 3 inches or so to help keep crap off the steps and awning arms. My test version worked great this summer, kept the trailer clean and no new rock damage. I do plan on having the auto film cover applied to the front corners and the front nose for added protection. Our previous camper was a Northern Lite fiberglass truck camper and over the years the nose of the camper got dinged from rocks and discolored from bug hits even though I faithfully washed and waxed. The film should help on the nose. I thought the thing would look kinda Mad Max beyond Thunderdome but it’s pretty subtle and tuff, real easy to clean.

I’m also interested in what others come up with.

Scott, Lori and Fritz the melting snow Schnauzer

Friends don’t let friends eat farmed salmon
Old 01-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am liking the idea of diamond plate, especially if it doesn't qualify your trailer to be in the Mad Max sequel. I look forward to the photos in the spring, and to seeing what you come up with as a permanent solution.

I really don't want to use one of those receiver mounted road sweeps either.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:25 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKsnowbiker View Post
Jim, our summer mountain bikes. Carcross and Whitehorse have wonderful mountain bike trail systems. The bike cover is by Formosa and it fits the 1 Up rack with two bikes perfectly. We went on a month long trip this summer over the Top of the World Highway, up to Tombstone Territorial Park and back home with lots of dirt, mud and rain and the bikes stayed in immaculate shape, nice smooth drive systems.

Once again thank you for the bamboo shower mat idea. Send your snow north, 40 degrees and melting. Scott

Fat bikes are FUN!
How does cover work out with taillight visibility? We have 1Up on our 21. Love to keep the salt off headed South.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:30 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We use the 1Up rack and bike cover from etrailer....the top taillights make the difference.
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
How does cover work out with taillight visibility? We have 1Up on our 21. Love to keep the salt off headed South.

Carl, Robot Check

We tried every cover out there, this was the best and the cheapest. Fits the 1 Up with two bikes like it was custom made for it. And yes you can see taillights even if you don't have the upper lights through the clear section. Scott

Scott & Lori
Old 01-26-2016, 08:00 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Carl, Robot Check

We tried every cover out there, this was the best and the cheapest. Fits the 1 Up with two bikes like it was custom made for it. And yes you can see taillights even if you don't have the upper lights through the clear section. Scott

Scott & Lori
Gotta get it. Thanks.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
I would like to start a thread for rock/stone protection for the 5.0 and the 5.0 TA.

In an earlier thread I made the comment that after two seasons of camping here in Alaska, the Yukon and a couple of trips up and down the Cassiar Highway to Washington that we were getting some stone dings on our trailer. I know, I know some here call the dings beauty marks but at this time our trailer is beautiful enough and couldn’t be much prettier.

So far the idea’s that I have heard from other forum members:

Spray on bed liner

Auto film protector

Fabric stone protector

Factory vinyl stone mats (Not available for the 5.0 TA)

This may not be a big deal for a lot of people but we plan on keeping this trailer for a long, long time and I like to keep my things nice. A lot of you have driven the ALCAN, Cassiar, Denali, Top of the World and Dempster Highway so you know what I’m talking about.

During the winters the highway departments use a small pea gravel/sand mix for traction during the winters and during the perpetual road construction they use something similar before they lay the new asphalt. These small rocks are the perfect size getting caught in the tire treads, then thrown into windshields, hoods and trailers.

Almost all of trailers that you see up here, even the ones hauling snow machines and four wheelers all use some form of metal plate up front for protection from the rocks, gravel and mud. What I’ve done so far is mount two 12” X 24” sheets of diamond plate from Home Depot using U bolts on the front frame. I left about 3” overlap with a 45 degree bend to the outside; this really helps on keeping mud and tar off the trailer. My plans for this spring are to spot weld a couple pieces of angle iron with either holes or some sort of bayonet type mount for easy removal of the rock shield for cleaning and waxing of trailer.

So far I’ve tried the auto film protection, I used a do it your self kit, mud got in the edges, discoloration and got some marks in the gel coat from larger rocks. May try the film over the front cap, professionally installed this time. So far with Rock Tamers on the truck, (they ugly) and diamond plate on the frame I have had no rock damage and the trailer stays a lot cleaner on muddy roads. Here is a picture of my set up now, (if you zoom the image you can kind of see the back of trailer rock guards).

I'll try to post better pictures of the finished product this spring, unless the great minds on this forum come up with better ideas. Scott

Fat bikes are FUN!
Is that a RAM 2500 you are using to tow? I'm interested in upgrading, not sure the 5.0 ta can be raised high enough for the 2500.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Is that a RAM 2500 you are using to tow? I'm interested in upgrading, not sure the 5.0 ta can be raised high enough for the 2500.

Ram 3500, left over from the truck camper days. Escape raised the kingpin one hole, lowering the pin box. (Hope I explained that right) Trailer rides perfectly level. Scott
Scott, Lori and a Schnauzer named Fritz
Old 01-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Ram 3500, left over from the truck camper days. Escape raised the kingpin one hole, lowering the pin box. (Hope I explained that right) Trailer rides perfectly level. Scott
Scott, Lori and a Schnauzer named Fritz
Sounds like I could make a 2500 work. Thanks!
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:00 AM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Ram 3500, left over from the truck camper days. Escape raised the kingpin one hole, lowering the pin box.
Trailer rides perfectly level
Presumably it also has the suspension mounted in the spring-over-axle-tube configuration (the high setting).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote