5.0 Tow vehicles? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #1

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
5.0 Tow vehicles?

What are you 5.0 and 5.0TA folks using for tow vehicles (TV)? How does your TV do, and if you could change anything, what would it be?

I am looking at TVs for a 5.0TA, and trying to figure out which is the right one. I will definitely buy a full size truck, but 1/2 ton? 3/4 ton?

I'd be interested in any suggestions, comments and/or experiences. We're on the east coast (NYS), but would be taking the 5.0TA into the southern Appalachians as well as into and over the Rockies.

Thanks!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
There are lots of posts on this subject. Interesting reading. For me I really like my 2016 F150. It’s a 2.7 Ecoboost, crewcab, 6.5 ‘ bed, 355 rear axle, 4 wheel drive. It’s a comfortable and reasonably economic (for a full size truck) daily driver. We have towed our 2017 5.0TA from CT to Canadian border thru hills of Vt, NH and NY with absolutely no problem and getting as good as 16.5 mpg. I personally don’t see any reason for anything more than 1/2 ton truck and more than a few against a 3/4 ton. My $.02 based on personal experience 😎
Attached Thumbnails
4AF93378-FE37-4EAD-B6FF-E8CE045433F6.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i love my 2017 F 150 2.7 Ecoboost. Plenty of power to haul over the mountains barely knew it was there. I have the short bed 5.5 super crew (i think its the one with the four full doors and the big back seat). No issues hauling with the 5.5 bed and the fifth wheel. But the bed is small so if you want to haul a lot of stuff you might want the bigger bed. I don't haul much and wanted a shorter truck with lots of indoor room. Only thing i wish i had was a little more pay load i have to be careful and watch the weight in my truck when hauling my 5.0.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
What are you 5.0 and 5.0TA folks using for tow vehicles (TV)? How does your TV do, and if you could change anything, what would it be?

I am looking at TVs for a 5.0TA, and trying to figure out which is the right one. I will definitely buy a full size truck, but 1/2 ton? 3/4 ton?

I'd be interested in any suggestions, comments and/or experiences. We're on the east coast (NYS), but would be taking the 5.0TA into the southern Appalachians as well as into and over the Rockies.

Thanks!

Frank

Hi Frank,
I live in S Vermont and my mother, step father, sister and brother in law all live in New Baltimore NY just down the road from you! I have a 5.0 TA that I tow with a Toyota Tundra 4x4 double cab with the 4.6 l engine. It is plenty of truck as long as you are careful about payload. Plenty of power so far towing both in New England and bringing it home from Las Vegas where I bought it (yes I had most of my usual camping things) Others will talk till they are blue in the face that you need to be careful about payload with a 1/2 ton and this camper but it works just fine for me. Low RPMs, better mileage, etc buy a big enough truck but why get more than you need. Unless you plan on having more than two full sized passengers or bringing tons of stuff! I know someone that has a new Ford Ecoboost and loves it so if I was in the market I would definitely be looking there. If you want to look at my set up send me a PM and we can work something out.
Ian
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I agree there is no need for a 3/4T for the Escape, I have an F150 and it does just fine. If you think you may go to a conventional 5th wheel or truck camper at some time in the future the 3/4 would give you more payload.

If I were doing it again, I'd look around for something with 1500+ lbs payload. At least a 6.5' bed, 4x4, extended cab as I have no need for a crew. The crew would give one a bit more roof area for racks.

There are so many capable engine choices now that deciding which to get is like picking paint for the kitchen, most all do the job, it's just personal preference. For the 5.0TA and an F150 you can use the 2.7 or 3.5 Ecoboosts, 5.0 V8, and now a 3.0 diesel. I like having more power and payload then I need, I'd be hesitant going with less power or torque then my 3.5 EB. The 8 spd trannys they use now would be a nice bennie.

I like my 8' bed , makes carrying the canoe possible, and pretty much anything else I care to bring along. Don't know if that'd be the case with the smaller 6.5', I'd have to do some measuring. The 6.5' would be nicer parking or turning around.

I'd look at GMC's next time too, looking for the most comfortable ride for these cross country treks.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
For the 5.0TA and an F150 you can use the 2.7 or 3.5 Ecoboosts, 5.0 V8, and now a 3.0 diesel.
Well, not quite "now", right? The F-150 diesel isn't even listed in the specs on the Ford website yet, although Ford.ca says
Quote:
Mark your calendar. Availability is scheduled for spring 2018.
So you can plan to buy one, even configure one online, but full specs are not available and it seems unlikely that one could be found at a dealership.

I did try configuring a diesel at Ford.ca, and the least expensive configuration was a SuperCab Lariat 4X2 "starting at" CA$55,949. It's a $6K option, and forces the choice of a trim level $13K more expensive than the base level. Add another $4K for 4WD.

Quote:
The 8 spd trannys they use now would be a nice bennie.
Ford was still stuck at 6 speeds until this year (while GM and Ram had 8-speeds), and have now jumped directly to 10 speeds - no 8-speeds in Ford trucks.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:02 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Well, not quite "now", right? The F-150 diesel isn't even listed in the specs on the Ford website yet, although Ford.ca says

So you can plan to buy one, even configure one online, but full specs are not available and it seems unlikely that one could be found at a dealership.

I did try configuring a diesel at Ford.ca, and the least expensive configuration was a SuperCab Lariat 4X2 "starting at" CA$55,949. It's a $6K option, and forces the choice of a trim level $13K more expensive than the base level. Add another $4K for 4WD.

Ford was still stuck at 6 speeds until this year (while GM and Ram had 8-speeds), and have now jumped directly to 10 speeds - no 8-speeds in Ford trucks.

Yes mother, I stand corrected.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Yes mother, I stand corrected.

Just don't want anyone to be disappointed by what is actually at their Ford dealership, or frustrated looking for information about the diesel.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:43 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
[emoji23]
Just don't want anyone to be disappointed by what is actually at their Ford dealership, or frustrated looking for information about the diesel.
Your point about not finding the truck you want in stock is well taken, whether it's a diesel or not. I ordered mine and it was worth the wait. If I'd had to choose from dealer stock I'd still be looking.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Tried all the leading brands before I purchased. For me nothing test drove like the Toyota Tundra. 5.7 litre V8 double cab with tow package. Loads of power on mountain passes. I forget that I am towing anything. Opinions vary but I find it is very reliable and has engineering that just wasn’t in other trucks. Get the tow mirrors. Yes not easy on gas but it’s a truck with lots of power. What do you expect.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:52 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA (August, 2017)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0146.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	31009We like our Nissan Titan XD diesel. Lots of power. Lots of room. Lots of payload. All without being too big for us.
labearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA
I owned a 06 duramax before I purchased my 5.0TA. It is paid for! Wish it had a 8' bed. I never even think about GCWR with the 5.0 TA in tow. Braking and stopping are no problem, even when unexpected the vehicle remains under control.
strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Any 1/2 ton with a towing package will be a comfortable tow in your area. Although I do like idea of a factory 5th prep on the heavy duties.

As Bob mentioned, look at payload numbers if you are bringing people/gear along.

A longer bed is only bad when urban parking.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We own a 2014 1/2 ton truck with a V8 engine . If we were looking at purchasing an Escape 5.0 TA , we would definately be looking at purchasing a 3/4 ton truck .
Having to constantly worry about or shift payload for me is a PITA .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:47 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Any 1/2 ton with a towing package will be a comfortable tow in your area.
Yep, most will. Though a 3/4 or 1 ton would do the trick it is overkill. I was so glad to get rid of my Ford Super Duty and get into a 1/2 ton.

As you mention, the biggest thing with towing a fifth wheel is ensuring you have the payload capacity. More than enough towing capacity for this lightweight fifth wheel.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Something not mentioned here, but has been discussed on this forum, is bed sidewall height, and the use of high lift Escape axle options. My oldest friend (65+ years now), who introduced us to Escapes, has a tow vehicle with some nice dimples and scrapes on the top of his sidewalls from his 5.0 frame.
I've noticed that the new trucks have higher sidewalls (deeper beds?), so might be an issue.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:59 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Something not mentioned here, but has been discussed on this forum, is bed sidewall height, and the use of high lift Escape axle options. My oldest friend (65+ years now), who introduced us to Escapes, has a tow vehicle with some nice dimples and scrapes on the top of his sidewalls from his 5.0 frame.
I've noticed that the new trucks have higher sidewalls (deeper beds?), so might be an issue.
What was his truck? The F-150 is fine, and has fairly high sidewalls.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:00 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yep, most will. Though a 3/4 or 1 ton would do the trick it is overkill. I was so glad to get rid of my Ford Super Duty and get into a 1/2 ton.

As you mention, the biggest thing with towing a fifth wheel is ensuring you have the payload capacity. More than enough towing capacity for this lightweight fifth wheel.
IF I had to have a 3/4 ton truck to tow my 5.0TA... I wouldn't. I'd have a 21'. But I don't. Payload, yeah I can see that being an issue for some. Maybe those need to think about how much stuff they take....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
F-150, 5.0 SA w/no lift kit, but they live in MT and are off-road a lot.

I just wanted to put the issue on the table so nothing is missed.
(Our bumper-pull 17 goes Everywhere we want!).
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:17 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: Jim Bennett... Me? I just "Tow the line"!!! If I think I'm packing too much... the GPS and co-jo could stay home. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote