5.0 v. 19' Foot - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Re: 5.0 v. 19' Foot

FYI - I've never experienced sway with my 19, even in wind, it tows great (the WD hitch helps with that, too). Your choice may well depend on what you're towing with, and what you want to put in it. I take a lot of "stuff" , so the shell-covered bed of my Tacoma is too prime of real estate for me to have considered sacrificing the bed for a 5th wheel hitch. Others, with other needs, have gone the other way.

As far as the money goes, I think the Escape is worth every penny. Quality shows.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #22

We are also looking at the Escape 19 and the 5.0, and as others, are on different sides of the street. We plan to full time for at least the next two years so want to make sure that the trailer we get, fits our needs. Also both my wife and I are over 6 ft. so headroom, bunk size, storage, and toilet size all play a part. Whatever we get we will have solar, as I perfer to stay in places off the grid, most of the time. Another concern of mine is I hate climbing into bed from the end, did that in the forepeak on many sailboats for years, on the other hand having my wife climb over me to get into bed has never been a problem, at least I enjoy it.

I like the storage in the 19, as we travel overseas a number of time a year so carrying suit cases (small) is important. I think the storage under the bed of the 19 would fit that need very well. I also like having the storage in the bed of the truck, without worrying about the hitch hitting anything. As far as hooking up, We have a utility trailer and I have little problem getting the hitch over the ball, most of the time.

As also mentioned the price is a consideration, but having sailed small boat for years understand about quality. I do like the quality that everyone has mentioned about the Escapes. If cheap trailers are anything like cheap boats, they will cost more over the long haul.

Any advice people have is very welcome. We are looking to get a trailer shortly after we arrive back in the states, as again we are overseas and expect to re
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Like Bruce, sway has never been an issue pulling the 19, and I don't use a WDH or sway bars with my Pilot either.

Steve, welcome. Sounds like the 19 would fit your bill. My 6'4" brother grazes the hair on his head in our trailer. At 6'0", I have no issue at all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote