5.0TA 1/2 Ton tow vehicle dilemma - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2015, 08:39 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I need to stop about every 250 miles anyway for both mine and the dog's needs, plus I find those interesting tidbits, like jalapeno cheese taquitos....

Old 10-10-2015, 06:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I need to stop about every 250 miles anyway for both mine and the dog's needs, plus I find those interesting tidbits, like jalapeno cheese taquitos....
Well yeah, we stop too. It's just that we get to stop at more interesting places than a gas station.

I remember on our trip from BC back to Texas a while back, the wife and I were having dinner and she remarked that it had been over a week since we got gas, and that I'd better check it. I let her know we still had 275 miles to empty.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017
I bought one of GMC Pressroom - United States - Canyon in SLT for the upcoming 5th wheel. It's often overlooked.
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:22 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
I think manufacturers are starting to offer some interesting pickup options. Ford with the two Ecoboost engines; Ram with the Ecodiesel, the big 3 increasing the tranny speeds; the GM twins (soon to be available with a diesel); and the Nissan Titan XD.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Very true Tom. Pickups have always been popular in North America, but now we have more choices than ever. When Ford reintroduces the Ranger (a big if) that will add yet another.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnjudy View Post
I bought one of GMC Pressroom - United States - Canyon in SLT for the upcoming 5th wheel. It's often overlooked.

The 2016 diesel Canyon has "Smart diesel exhaust brake system that enhances vehicle control and reduces brake wear on steep grades" ... Thats compelling news to me.

2016 Canyon: Small Pickup Truck - GMC
Old 10-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
"Honest officer, I never flipped the Jake brake. Must be automatic on these new Freightliners.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:13 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
The 2016 diesel Canyon has "Smart diesel exhaust brake system that enhances vehicle control and reduces brake wear on steep grades" ... Thats compelling news to me.

2016 Canyon: Small Pickup Truck - GMC
Any vehicle which claims to be suitable for towing should have this sort of automatic control - in my Sienna, Toyota calls it "Grade Logic". I like the way GM has linked engine braking to the cruise control, and taken advantage of the ability to vary the degree of engine braking with a throttle-type system:
Quote:
When the exhaust brake is engaged in cruise mode, exhaust cruise grade braking helps the cruise control system maintain vehicle speed when travelling downhill, keeping the driver from having to apply the brakes, thereby exiting cruise control.

In non-cruise mode, the transmission and the exhaust brake deliver the correct amount of braking to assist in vehicle control, regardless of vehicle load. It is a smart system that varies the amount of brakes needed for the vehicle, load and grade.
Diesels inherently have minimal engine braking (due to the lack of a throttle), so they need something added - in this case it is a throttle valve in the exhaust. It's good to hear that GM has included the exhaust brake, since it is not in all light diesel vehicles. The Canyon/Colorado diesel has a variable-geometry turbocharger; the variable vanes can be used to increase the braking effect of the turbocharger, so adding the separate exhaust brake as well is going beyond the minimum required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
"Honest officer, I never flipped the Jake brake. Must be automatic on these new Freightliners.

I'm sure it's not actually a traditional Jake brake - which is a Jacobs compression release brake - and that's good for noise!

Big truck engines are generally six-cylinders, and the compression brake control has three levels - two, four, or all six cylinders in braking mode. No switch to flip in this setup.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #19

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Bobnjudy--- GMC Canyon--- Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnjudy View Post
Looking forward to hearing of your results driving this new truck.
Is it a gas or diesel motor?
Does this truck come with a tow package?

when do you get your new 5th wheel?

thanks
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Very true Tom. Pickups have always been popular in North America, but now we have more choices than ever. When Ford reintroduces the Ranger (a big if) that will add yet another.
I would love to see the Ranger with the 2.7 Ecoboost.