5.0TA 1/2 Ton tow vehicle dilemma - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2016, 10:13 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The new Nissan Titan XD got mediocre reviews, particularly in mileage. Also note the carrying capacity of the 4wd platinum drops below 1500# for $61K? See here 2016 Nissan Titan XD Crew Cab Review & Ratings | Edmunds
Old 02-27-2016, 01:11 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The new Nissan Titan XD got mediocre reviews, particularly in mileage. Also note the carrying capacity of the 4wd platinum drops below 1500# for $61K? See here 2016 Nissan Titan XD Crew Cab Review & Ratings | Edmunds
After test driving the new Titan XD and reading the reviews, its a big disappointment. And, its way over priced in my opinion...
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:20 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
The new Nissan Titan XD got mediocre reviews, particularly in mileage.
Not surprising - it's big and heavy.

The reviewer's worst mileage, in city driving, was 13.8 USmpg. That's 17 L/100km, which is substantially better than my brother-in-law gets with his Duramax GMC Sierra 2500 in city driving, so it may not be so bad in context.

Quote:
Also note the carrying capacity of the 4wd platinum drops below 1500# for $61K?
The Titan XD has substantial structural and mechanical components, giving it a high Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), but the truck is heavy so the remaining payload is not impressive. It is typical of full-size light-duty pickups without a special high payload package. With one GVWR choice, the heavier the truck (due to all the fancy equipment in that 4WD Platinum) the lower the payload.

The Titan XD does have a factory-integrated tow ball in the bed supported by a substantial under-floor structure... which of course adds weight, but at least that is already accounted for in the truck's curb weight, so you wouldn't need to use up any of the payload to add this part of the hitch system for a 5.0TA.

Did I mention this truck is heavy?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:27 PM   #24

Quote:
I would be a little hesitant to accept this reviewer's information without checking it out - the review includes this:
Quote:
... Ram 1500 EcoDiesel remains your only choice for diesel power in a regular-duty truck
What about the Colorado/Canyon?

Also, the reviewer says the 4.5 (US) gallon DEF tank "may well need topping-up during a particularly long road trip"... but Cummins (the engine manufacturer) says DEF is used at a 2% of the fuel consumption rate, so this DEF tank will last as long as 225 US gallons of fuel, or 3600 miles at 16 mpg (5800 km at 15 L/100km). So if you drive across the entire continent, you need to stop at Walmart for a jug of DEF... shucks, that makes the truck unusable!
Old 02-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I would be a little hesitant to accept this reviewer's information without checking it out - the review includes this:

What about the Colorado/Canyon?

Also, the reviewer says the 4.5 (US) gallon DEF tank "may well need topping-up during a particularly long road trip"... but Cummins (the engine manufacturer) says DEF is used at a 2% of the fuel consumption rate, so this DEF tank will last as long as 225 US gallons of fuel, or 3600 miles at 16 mpg (5800 km at 15 L/100km). So if you drive across the entire continent, you need to stop at Walmart for a jug of DEF... shucks, that makes the truck unusable!
A ecodiesel passed me in the parking lot the other day, very quite, didn't sound at all like a diesel. I've been lurking over at the ecodiesel forums, curious about the long term durability of that engine. Scott

Scott, Lori and a beady eyed angry schnauzer
Fat bikes are FUN!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:18 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The 5.0 cummins diesel weighs approx 900 lbs and the Ram eco diesel approx 500 lbs . I would assume that the additional engine and structural weight eats up a lot of the Titan's payload . At the cost of $61 K , the purchase of a standard 3/4 ton diesel truck may make more sense.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The 5.0 cummins diesel weighs approx 900 lbs and the Ram eco diesel approx 500 lbs . I would assume that the additional engine and structural weight eats up a lot of the Titan's payload .
Yes, although the truck could have just been built for a higher GVWR to fix the payload problem, without any increase drivetrain weight.

Quote:
At the cost of $61 K , the purchase of a standard 3/4 ton diesel truck may make more sense.
I agree, although that price is for the top trim level. I don't think Nissan is shooting for the lowest-price or even best-value market with this truck.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:46 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
A ecodiesel passed me in the parking lot the other day, very quite, didn't sound at all like a diesel. I've been lurking over at the ecodiesel forums, curious about the long term durability of that engine. Scott

Scott, Lori and a beady eyed angry schnauzer
Fat bikes are FUN!
I'm curious about the long-term durability of the Ford EcoBoost engine. Just before I retired a man who worked for me bought a Ford F150 with what must have been the first generation EcoBoost engine. As I was starting to look at potential tow vehicles I looked it over. He asked me how much towing I intended to do. I said I didn't know yet, but probably 200 miles every two weeks. The truck's owner said that would probably be okay, but he wouldn't tow with his on a daily basis because he didn't think the engine would hold up over time. I'm guessing our lightweight trailers won't strain the EcoBoost too much, but I will be interested on how well they hold up.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:38 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I'm curious about the long-term durability of the Ford EcoBoost engine. Just before I retired a man who worked for me bought a Ford F150 with what must have been the first generation EcoBoost engine. As I was starting to look at potential tow vehicles I looked it over. He asked me how much towing I intended to do. I said I didn't know yet, but probably 200 miles every two weeks. The truck's owner said that would probably be okay, but he wouldn't tow with his on a daily basis because he didn't think the engine would hold up over time. I'm guessing our lightweight trailers won't strain the EcoBoost too much, but I will be interested on how well they hold up.
The 2.7L is built very solid. Don't know about "long term", but in my case it's not a biggie - since I'll probably trade it in within 5 years for a newer model.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:52 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
These are the weight comparisons I found when shopping in December for similarly configured trucks (crew cab 4wd):

Tundra 5690
Ford 5659
Chev 5605
Ram 5662
Nissan 7360

I didn't buy the Titan.
Over the first 2000 miles with the Ram Eco-diesel, mileage has been 26.7 in mixed driving. No towing yet. Fingers crossed on longevity.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:21 AM   #31

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've got 53k on my 2012 3.5 Ecoboost, about 50% of that is towing trailers weighing 4000-4500 lbs. No engine problems as yet.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #32

Since most Escapes are lightweight on comparison to others, there may not be an issue, but I always hear on tv watch auto shows, "no replacement for displacement" in talking about powerful motors.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:22 AM   #33

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
2016 GMC Canyon LT

Just towed our new Scamp 19 DL from MN to TX in 25 mph wind in the grill. Got 14.5. In no wind got 17. Mph was 65 on cruise. Camper weighed 2800 and 700 on the ball. Zero problems with that load. 300 HP, direct injection, 6 speed. 27 hwy @ 70 w/o the trailer going north.
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:08 AM   #34

Possible diesel for the F-150 is coming. I have read this same rumor on other sites:

Spied: 2017 Ford F-150 TurboDiesel - PickupTrucks.com News
Old 02-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #35

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I fail to see what is gained by a diesel engine in a 1/2 ton truck .
The diesel engine costs more up front , has higher maintenance costs, higher fuel costs , DEF costs and in most cases lowers the vehicles payload and towing capacity .Most people trade off their vehicles long before any engine is approaching the end of its life.
Our small Fiberglass trailers certainly do not require a diesel powered vehicle . If I was going to buy a diesel , it would be in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck where the added torque ,payload and towing capacity could be put to use. Since I don't plan on buying a 6 ton 5th wheeler ,I will stick with my Gas V8. IMHO !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #36

Quote:
I fail to see what is gained by a diesel engine in a 1/2 ton truck .
The diesel engine costs more up front , has higher maintenance costs, higher fuel costs , DEF costs and in most cases lowers the vehicles payload and towing capacity .Most people trade off their vehicles long before any engine is approaching the end of its life.
Our small Fiberglass trailers certainly do not require a diesel powered vehicle . If I was going to buy a diesel , it would be in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck where the added torque ,payload and towing capacity could be put to use. Since I don't plan on buying a 6 ton 5th wheeler ,I will stick with my Gas V8. IMHO !!
I think you make some very good points here. I often think about getting a 3/4 ton diesel, but really it would be a massive overkill, not to mention the extremely costly...
Old 02-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Since most Escapes are lightweight on comparison to others, there may not be an issue, I always hear on tv watch auto shows, "no replacement for displacement" in talking about powerful motors.
That's a common saying, and has some basis in reality, but if it were really true then all of those turbodiesels would be non-turbo diesels of much larger displacement... maybe twice as big. In reality, producing the same power from a smaller engine by forcing more air in with a turbocharger is an excellent choice - especially for a diesel but even for a gasoline engine - if done properly and within reasonable limits.

Besides, in any rational world four hundred horsepower are not required to tow an Escape. A few decades ago, few tugs pulling trailers this size would have even two hundred horsepower. My 2012 compact hatchback car with a non-turbo 1.6L 4-cylinder (a Mazda3) has almost as much power as my parents' 1971 full-size Chevy wagon with 350 cubic inch V8. An alternative to using a huge engine or thrashing a smaller engine so hard you're concerned about reliability is to drive with reasonable expectations.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:50 PM   #38

Quote:
The diesel engine costs more up front , has higher maintenance costs, higher fuel costs , DEF costs...
I'm not arguing for a diesel, and for now I'll skim by the issue of which sizes of engine are comparable, but a note on Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF):

Cummins says DEF is consumed at a rate of about 2% of the fuel flow rate. Since DEF costs about C$2/L in Canada or US$7/USgal in the U.S., versus diesel fuel at about C$1/L (roughly, over the last few years, depending on location), the DEF adds about 4% to the total fuel cost. For example, if you burn a tank (100 L or 25 US gal) of diesel costing $100, you will also use up 2 L (1/2 US gal) of DEF costing $4. It's not completely trivial, auto manufacturers do go to massive efforts to make a 4% difference in fuel cost, and Steve only mentioned it as one of many factors... but I don't think it's the huge issue that I've heard other people complain about.

If you have so much money overflowing your wallet that you throw piles of it at a BMW dealer, DEF becomes an exotic component requiring dealer attention and special cartridges of material which is largely wasted. In that case the DEF cost is vastly higher... but I can't imagine many BMW buyers would really care or even notice, and I doubt many of them are buying a diesel for operating cost savings.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:51 PM   #39

Did some research and got a picture of my door jamb- 6900# is my GVWR and my payload is 1490#. Also found out I have a camera in my 3rd brake light called a cargo camera which was never activated, shows what is in the truck bed. I knew about the tailgate camera but this is a new one. I'm a happy camper, got 1500# payload and a camera to boot. Should have no issue with the pin weight and Andersen set up.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0332.jpg   IMG_0332 (1).jpg  
Old 02-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #40

I hope you realize what goes into Diesel exhaust fluid. something we cat owners throw away everyday, urea.....