5.0TA 1/2 Ton tow vehicle dilemma - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2016, 07:21 AM   #31

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
I've got 53k on my 2012 3.5 Ecoboost, about 50% of that is towing trailers weighing 4000-4500 lbs. No engine problems as yet.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Since most Escapes are lightweight on comparison to others, there may not be an issue, but I always hear on tv watch auto shows, "no replacement for displacement" in talking about powerful motors.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #33

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017
2016 GMC Canyon LT

Just towed our new Scamp 19 DL from MN to TX in 25 mph wind in the grill. Got 14.5. In no wind got 17. Mph was 65 on cruise. Camper weighed 2800 and 700 on the ball. Zero problems with that load. 300 HP, direct injection, 6 speed. 27 hwy @ 70 w/o the trailer going north.
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #34

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Possible diesel for the F-150 is coming. I have read this same rumor on other sites:

Spied: 2017 Ford F-150 TurboDiesel - PickupTrucks.com News
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #35

Trailer: None
I fail to see what is gained by a diesel engine in a 1/2 ton truck .
The diesel engine costs more up front , has higher maintenance costs, higher fuel costs , DEF costs and in most cases lowers the vehicles payload and towing capacity .Most people trade off their vehicles long before any engine is approaching the end of its life.
Our small Fiberglass trailers certainly do not require a diesel powered vehicle . If I was going to buy a diesel , it would be in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck where the added torque ,payload and towing capacity could be put to use. Since I don't plan on buying a 6 ton 5th wheeler ,I will stick with my Gas V8. IMHO !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I fail to see what is gained by a diesel engine in a 1/2 ton truck .
The diesel engine costs more up front , has higher maintenance costs, higher fuel costs , DEF costs and in most cases lowers the vehicles payload and towing capacity .Most people trade off their vehicles long before any engine is approaching the end of its life.
Our small Fiberglass trailers certainly do not require a diesel powered vehicle . If I was going to buy a diesel , it would be in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck where the added torque ,payload and towing capacity could be put to use. Since I don't plan on buying a 6 ton 5th wheeler ,I will stick with my Gas V8. IMHO !!
I think you make some very good points here. I often think about getting a 3/4 ton diesel, but really it would be a massive overkill, not to mention the extremely costly...
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:28 PM   #37

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Since most Escapes are lightweight on comparison to others, there may not be an issue, I always hear on tv watch auto shows, "no replacement for displacement" in talking about powerful motors.
That's a common saying, and has some basis in reality, but if it were really true then all of those turbodiesels would be non-turbo diesels of much larger displacement... maybe twice as big. In reality, producing the same power from a smaller engine by forcing more air in with a turbocharger is an excellent choice - especially for a diesel but even for a gasoline engine - if done properly and within reasonable limits.

Besides, in any rational world four hundred horsepower are not required to tow an Escape. A few decades ago, few tugs pulling trailers this size would have even two hundred horsepower. My 2012 compact hatchback car with a non-turbo 1.6L 4-cylinder (a Mazda3) has almost as much power as my parents' 1971 full-size Chevy wagon with 350 cubic inch V8. An alternative to using a huge engine or thrashing a smaller engine so hard you're concerned about reliability is to drive with reasonable expectations.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #38

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The diesel engine costs more up front , has higher maintenance costs, higher fuel costs , DEF costs...
I'm not arguing for a diesel, and for now I'll skim by the issue of which sizes of engine are comparable, but a note on Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF):

Cummins says DEF is consumed at a rate of about 2% of the fuel flow rate. Since DEF costs about C$2/L in Canada or US$7/USgal in the U.S., versus diesel fuel at about C$1/L (roughly, over the last few years, depending on location), the DEF adds about 4% to the total fuel cost. For example, if you burn a tank (100 L or 25 US gal) of diesel costing $100, you will also use up 2 L (1/2 US gal) of DEF costing $4. It's not completely trivial, auto manufacturers do go to massive efforts to make a 4% difference in fuel cost, and Steve only mentioned it as one of many factors... but I don't think it's the huge issue that I've heard other people complain about.

If you have so much money overflowing your wallet that you throw piles of it at a BMW dealer, DEF becomes an exotic component requiring dealer attention and special cartridges of material which is largely wasted. In that case the DEF cost is vastly higher... but I can't imagine many BMW buyers would really care or even notice, and I doubt many of them are buying a diesel for operating cost savings.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #39
Site Team

Did some research and got a picture of my door jamb- 6900# is my GVWR and my payload is 1490#. Also found out I have a camera in my 3rd brake light called a cargo camera which was never activated, shows what is in the truck bed. I knew about the tailgate camera but this is a new one. I'm a happy camper, got 1500# payload and a camera to boot. Should have no issue with the pin weight and Andersen set up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0332.jpg (162.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0332 (1).jpg (160.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #40
Site Team

I hope you realize what goes into Diesel exhaust fluid. something we cat owners throw away everyday, urea.....