5.0TA 1/2 Ton tow vehicle dilemma - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2016, 11:55 PM   #51

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birken View Post
I have driven my new Ram 3.0 Ecodiesel for about 4 months now. I have been getting between 20 and 25mpg (12 to 9L/100km) depending on terrain.
For this leg of our trip I have experienced fuel mileage while towing of between 14 and 19 mpg (17 and 13L/100 km). I am extremely pleased with the fuel economy...

On another note, the DEF (Pig piss urea) tank holds 8 gallons. It seems to be using about 1 gal/1000miles. I have now used 6 gals over my 6000 miles on the vehicle .
Picking 20 mpg of diesel as an average, or 50 gallons per 1000 miles, 1 gallon of DEF per thousand miles is that one part DEF to 50 parts fuel consumption that Cummins said to expect. Although the engine is VM Motori - not a Cummins - this seems to be confirmation that is is a reasonable overall expectation.

This Ram 1500 is getting a bit better fuel economy non-towing, and not much worse towing, than my similarly sized minivan and significantly smaller trailer. I'd be pleased with that, too.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:12 AM   #52

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
The Dodge RAM (2013 and newer) with the Cummins diesel is the only brand/engine combo that will not de-tune the engine output or just plain not start if you run out of DEF. Still get a blinky dash light though, I think.
Good to know... and ironic, given that at least the Ram EcoDiesel setup for DEF is trivial to use (based on what I read in the owner's manual): it's hard to imagine how one would ever run out, when you can fill it with DEF from many stores in any city, with no tools or special procedures. I can see a BMW owner being stranded somewhere waiting for a suitably gifted Bavarian to wave an expensive magic wand over an X5 (and insert the proprietary BMW DEF cartridge), but this shouldn't be an issue for a Ram 1500 driver.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote