5.0TA and a Short Bed... B&W with Anderson 3220? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2017, 07:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
5.0TA and a Short Bed... B&W with Anderson 3220?

Concerning a short bed (5.5ft) and the 5.0TA: Escape recommends a slider fifth wheel and also to use Trademasters. Trademasters recommends the B&W ball with the Anderson 3220 (gooseneck). Concerning the trailer hitting the cab on tight turns..... Does anyone have a short bed with the B&W and Anderson set up? If so can the trailer hit the cab on tight turns?
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:07 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Another question might be, "does anyone make tight enough turns to be concerned?". I've yet to hear of anyone really needing a slider.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Another question might be, "does anyone make tight enough turns to be concerned?". I've yet to hear of anyone really needing a slider.
I quite often do, and in fact did last time I set up. I have no issue at all turning 90° though, as I have the 6.5' box and the Andersen Ultimate mounted with the ball rearward. I love having this ability, makes for lots of options in how to set up.

Given that this is the shortest box I have had on a full sized pickup, I would not consider shortly for many reasons, though do realize a few have issues with parking the extra 12" of vehicle.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
5.0TA and a Short Bed... B&W with Anderson 3220?

Our previous tow vehicle was a short box GMC Sierra which we installed a Reese sliding hitch in, we have never used the sliding feature to date and still have the same hitch in our current tow vehicle.

Cheers
Doug
Old 09-14-2017, 09:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honair View Post
Concerning a short bed (5.5ft) and the 5.0TA: Escape recommends a slider fifth wheel and also to use Trademasters. Trademasters recommends the B&W ball with the Anderson 3220 (gooseneck). Concerning the trailer hitting the cab on tight turns..... Does anyone have a short bed with the B&W and Anderson set up? If so can the trailer hit the cab on tight turns?
Do you have this truck, or are you planning to get it. I know that there are a fair few that use this short box, but for the reasons above, I highly recommend the longer box.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honair View Post
I have a 2017 F150, 5.5' bed, Andersen ultimate 3220 but with a Drawtite turnover ball instead of the B&W. The ball is 2" in front of the axle and ETI turned the Andersen adapter rearward which brought the 5.0TA closer to the truck cab than I had planned. Yes it could hit the cab if I jackknifed while backing up (no risk going forward) but with a little practice it is easy to avoid. I choose an angle between the truck and trailer as I start backing up and always want to be able to begin straightening the angle. If the angle is getting tighter and I can no longer straighten it by turning the wheel then I am jackknifing and need to stop and drive forward and regain control of the angle. That point of being unable to reduce the turning angle occurs way before contact with the cab. I've had more close calls between the pin box and walls of the bed than I've had with the cab. There are many reasons for choosing the bed length for your truck and hitch setup but for our needs, we are happy with this setup.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I quite often do, and in fact did last time I set up.
Dang, there's always someone to prove me wrong. Must have something to do with the wide open spaces you folks have for campsites.

I have seen some big rigs having to do 90's to get in and out of some of the tight commercial campgrounds, thankfully not me so far.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Dang, there's always someone to prove me wrong. Must have something to do with the wide open spaces you folks have for campsites.
Having the room is definitely a necessity. I would bet with the vast majority of campsites out there I would not have enough room. Lots of the provincial sites in BC and Alberta do offer room. I often camp with others and we get double sites and try to orient our RVs in a communal setup.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i agree with Jim that having a longer bed then the 5'5" is preferable but i got the 5'5" bed because i am using my truck as my main driving vehicle and i already think its too long for parking in town. I am happy with my choice but i will have to be careful when backing in tight areas. I blew out my window in my old truck when backing a fifth wheel horse trailer once - its easy to do with a short bed. Just takes some caution i tend to get quick when I'm frustrated and tired often gets me in trouble when hauling!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I have a 2010 F 150 Super Crew short bed (5'6" bed) with the Anderson Ultimate Rail mounted hitch. The center point between the rails is approx. 2 1/4" ahead of the axle centerline. My 2017 5.0TA has the high lift option. I touched the cab of the truck one time while practicing backing up in a parking lot but haven't been able to do that making very tight U turns. Like Jim, my Anderson Pin adaptor is reversed (ball rearward) and I was very worried at first but I like it that way now.
I bought Reece mounting brackets and rails and installed them myself. I'll be in the market for a new F 150 in a couple years and will look at 6.5 and maybe 8 foot beds then.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #11

I regularly drove my Ford Super Duty trucks into just about any parking spot, including malls. We are talking a pickup over 21' long, crew cabs with 8' boxes. It is just a matter of getting used to it. I always reverse into a parking spot regardless of the vehicle, as it is easier and better for when leaving too.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:38 PM   #12

yes Jim I'm sure you can! I have owned several trucks and I'm just not that great at parking them i get frustrated by the tight parking spots. I know it's possible I'm just not very good at it and i get impatient and nervous. Getting better at parallel parking my truck on the busy road at work but still wish i was parking a car! I do love my 150 its so comfortable and well designed.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #13

I love that I can parallel park with a trailer. I would never get parking spots in the city towing my cargo trailer if I couldn't.

Folks can do anything with practice.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
"I always reverse into a parking spot regardless of the vehicle, as it is easier and better for when leaving too."

You probably figured this out for yourself, Jim, but your practice has been studied and validated. In the oilfield, we drive more than almost anyone, and collect stats all the time on it. Backing in to park is safer, to the point that most oilfield companies mandate it.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #15

Mad Skills! Some of my horsey friends have mad skills with trailers too! they can park a 4 horse trailer in all kinds of tough spaces.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:04 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
Tom, what size rims and tires do you have on your F150 and how high is your bed rails?
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicVic View Post
Tom, what size rims and tires do you have on your F150 and how high is your bed rails?
My 4x4 F150 has 265-70R17 tires and the bed rails are 55.5" high at the axle unloaded.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:46 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
Thanks Tom for the quick response. My truck is about the same height with the sliding bed cover but haven't come close, "YET", hitting the rails wit the B W Patriot hitch. Not sure of the hitch height.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #19

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Backing into a parking space with a truck has always been easy for me because I learned decades ago to back up using my side view mirrors. Once you twist your neck around to look out the back window you're [pretty much sunk!

My wife has "learned" how to drive on roads hauling a trailer, but always hands it over to me to back into a space. Easy peasy.

I finally got this 5th wheel hitch stuff down, and keep looking for used trucks that will do the job. I don't want a 5.5' bed for lots of reasons. We'll see how things go.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Backing into a parking space with a truck has always been easy for me because I learned decades ago to back up using my side view mirrors. Once you twist your neck around to look out the back window you're [pretty much sunk!

My wife has "learned" how to drive on roads hauling a trailer, but always hands it over to me to back into a space. Easy peasy.

I finally got this 5th wheel hitch stuff down, and keep looking for used trucks that will do the job. I don't want a 5.5' bed for lots of reasons. We'll see how things go.

Frank
Sounds a lot like us, Frank. I too pretty much have only ever relied on mirrors, and while my wife is a competent straight line tower, she gives me the job of doing all reversing. As well, for me, a 5.5' bed is way too short for many reasons.

I do have to admit that the nuances to reversing a short fifth wheel took a few times to get down. I was turning too tight at first. While this can be an advantage, I did have to get used to this reaction.

Tags
short bed