5.0TA "chucking" question - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #1

Trailer: Fleetwood 89 Jamboree
5.0TA "chucking" question

When towing the 5.0TA are any of the pin box damping systems, such as the Demco Glide Ride or the Mor/ride pinbox needed when towing such a light trailer? Is this more an issue with getting the right hitch? Thanks for any info.

Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Don't know what "chucking" is, so can't tell if you need a damping system. I can tell you I feel absolutely nothing when towing the 5.0TA with the B&W Patriot hitch on the back of the F150, so I'm good with what I have.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
getting the right hitch? .
I used to have the bar type Reese hitch. Even though it was tight, lots of noise, clunking, etc and showed wear after one trip, it was immediately sold, not recommended. I would get a jaw type hitch, better built, little or no noise and generally easier to use.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I also have the B&W Patriot hitch - no clunking - tows like a dream
Old 08-20-2016, 05:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
When towing the 5.0TA are any of the pin box damping systems, such as the Demco Glide Ride or the Mor/ride pinbox needed when towing such a light trailer? Is this more an issue with getting the right hitch? Thanks for any info.
Hi: Bruce H... The only time we get a mild chucking, or horseback riding motion is if the fresh water tank is empty. Our Husky 16K EZRoller hitch Husky Towing is a jaw type hitch. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:53 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I believe the "jaw" type vs the economical lever type of hitch will give you less room for play and noise. That is the type I was going for after much research.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #7

Trailer: Fleetwood 89 Jamboree
Thanks Bob and gingerh. Based on our forum member's experiences, I had already decided on the B&W Patriot 18k slider to go in my five foot Tacoma bed. Is it better to have Trademasters purchase one or bring it with me, avoiding import taxes to Trademasters from the USA?
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Based on our forum member's experiences, I had already decided on the B&W Patriot 18k slider to go in my five foot Tacoma bed. Is it better to have Trademasters purchase one or bring it with me, avoiding import taxes to Trademasters from the USA?
Trademasters doesn't show B&W products on their fifth-wheel towing products page, but you could contact them to ask what the Patriot would cost from them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 1996 Frontier 5th (22')
The Mor/Ryde system is really meant to eliminate/reduce chucking in much heavier fifths. It adds significant weight and defeats the purpose of going light with a 5.0 TA.

Some hitches might give you more chucking than others - but it should be pretty minimal compared to what the big rigs experience. If concerned with the minimal chucking opt at looking at hitch designs rather than the added weight and expense of a Mor/Ryde type setup.

I really like the Curt design. I am using a Q20 on my current fifth which is slightly larger than the 5.0 TA (4,400 lbs empty, 22' long X 8' wide). The Q16 wasn't available at the time I got mine .. but a friend has the Q16 in a larger fifth application and loves it so far.

Both the Curt Q16 & Q20 are an articulated type of 360 deg pivot vs the 2 way axis pivot all (or almost all?) others have. The Q20 further pivots on a spherical axial cushioned bearing - making it quiet and smooth - I really like it so far. About the only problem reported wth the Curt hitches are problematic hitching/unhitching. I had the same problem at first until I found out the solution is an annual greasing per the owner's manual instructions. Well into my 3rd year with the hitch and no more problems with this. I would buy it again over everything else out there at this point.

There is obviously a lot of love with the B&W's. What I didn't like about the design is all the load being placed at one point being the pin that locks the handle in place. If it were to ever shear you are in trouble (perhaps not likely especially with a light 5.0 TA application - but something to inspect now and then). And definitely don't drive away without putting the pin in place or the trailer will come crashing down on the truck rails. As always a thorough visual and a pull test are very important prior to pulling up land gear .. but just something you have to be very cautious with a B&W vs almost every other design where the pin is used to lock the handle in place rather than bearing ALL the weight. Most other designs will let you drive away for at least a little distance without putting the handle lock pin in place... obviously not a good idea but it could save that unfortunate rushed forgetful moment. Then again if you want the trailer to fall on the truck bed - perhaps it's better if it happens while stationary rather than down the highway!

Anyway just one thing I dont like about the B&W is that pin bearing ALL the weight of the trailer. I could probably live with it's 2 axis pivot and quite honestly don't know how much difference my Q20's spherical/articulated design makes. I couldn't imagine a quieter ride - perhaps the beefier jaws on the B&W make it compatible to what I experience (?).
darrentoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrentoma View Post
The Mor/Ryde system is really meant to eliminate/reduce chucking in much heavier fifths.
Yes, and this mismatch between expected and actual trailer (and pin) weight means that the stiffness of springing and damping elements (rubber in the Mor/Ryde, air and hydraulic in some others) will likely be much too high. An air-sprung system is adjustable, but would still be a big pile of hardware that might never be in the right operating range.

Quote:
Both the Curt Q16 & Q20 are an articulated type of 360 deg pivot vs the 2 way axis pivot all (or almost all?) others have. The Q20 further pivots on a spherical axial cushioned bearing - making it quiet and smooth - I really like it so far.
The Curt "Q" designs with a spherical bearing do pivot in three axes, but that's actually not desirable, or even permissible in a pin-and-plate fifth-wheel, so they have additional elements to constrain the head so that it can't rotate very far around the vertical axis (because that needs to be around the pin, not the bearing). That adds some clunking and potential wear points. Ideally, a fifth-wheel hitch head would have only two rotation axes, with no play and smoothly damped motion.

Quote:
And definitely don't drive away without putting the pin in place or the trailer will come crashing down on the truck rails..
I think that's a desirable feature of a fifth-wheel hitch, and the only reason that they should be allowed to be used without safety chains. Because the hitch must be coupled to pull on the trailer, as soon as you move you either confirm that it is coupled, or find out at a safely low speed that is is not. With a ball hitch you can drop the trailer on the ball, forget to latch it, and drive away to a potential high-speed incident. A hitch design which latches enough to drive away while still not safely latched seems like a bad idea to me.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote