5.0TA, clearance from bed rail to loft frame - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: arniesea... IMHO I'd go with 1/2" low. A new set of tug tires when needed might just make the difference!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Great point! I will need new tires when I get back from my trip. In Rock Springs, WY until Monday to let this next snow storm blow through then two days travel to home.

Picture in Nebraska last night.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
C45C8A0E-35F7-44AB-8206-CD018D25AA77.jpg   ECD74990-02B1-452A-9868-316F7329A47F.jpg   4FD7C27A-93E3-4819-A1D5-53952782A6AC.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:52 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
No, it wasn’t. I wished I had taken pictures when I did mine. I ended up making a brace out of a 2x6 for the rear part of the box, and tying the pin to a heavy duty a-frame ladder. Then I used the landing gear and a heavy rubber mallet to bang the pin box into position so the bolt holes lined up. I really wished I had one of those tapered pin rods that iron workers use to line up the holes.

Afterwords some black simi-gloss Rustolium paint made it all look new.

Now 5,000 miles into my 6,000 mile trip and I couldn’t be happier. The rig tows much better with the frame level to the ground. (Well within a 1/2 inch!)
Yeah-- I thought I was gonna be "Smart" and Leave two bolts in, and swing up the back enough to get 2 smaller bolts in to "Pivot" it up... then pull the last two bolts, and line up the back... Yeah, All went fine until the smaller bolts slipped out, then i'm holding all the weight trying to muster a bolt in so I don't drop it...

The worst part was getting the front holes lined up-- You are right a tapered drift would have been super helpful as the painted surface didn't make it easy to slide it up. I ended up using a bottle jack, and the handle of my maul to "Jack" it up, but that didn't work at first as I started jacking up the entire trailer... Sigh.

In the end it is done, and tomorrow I'll hook the truck up and take it for a spin, but I expect it to pull pretty nice now-- it did before, but the front was a good 2 inches high.
JLModer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Great point! I will need new tires when I get back from my trip. In Rock Springs, WY until Monday to let this next snow storm blow through then two days travel to home.

Picture in Nebraska last night.

Thanks!
Awesome Pics Arnie!
Old 10-26-2019, 07:05 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
No, it wasn’t. I wished I had taken pictures when I did mine. I ended up making a brace out of a 2x6 for the rear part of the box, and tying the pin to a heavy duty a-frame ladder. Then I used the landing gear and a heavy rubber mallet to bang the pin box into position so the bolt holes lined up. I really wished I had one of those tapered pin rods that iron workers use to line up the holes.

Afterwords some black simi-gloss Rustolium paint made it all look new.

Now 5,000 miles into my 6,000 mile trip and I couldn’t be happier. The rig tows much better with the frame level to the ground. (Well within a 1/2 inch!)
You mean one of these, called a spud wrench, in my tool box.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1192.jpg   IMG_1193.jpg  
Old 10-27-2019, 02:57 PM   #25

So I got things hooked up this weekend.

It is really close to level. I have the Andersen Ultimate all the way down, and now the pinbox all the way up. I have 5.5 Inches at the closest point, which is at the back of the tailgate.

It is a little close, but I can pretty comfortably get into my driveway, and do what I need to do.

I also like that all I would need to do to increase it is drop the landing gear and pull the pin for the Andersen, and raise the ball up.

We also went to weigh the rig. My truck is pretty heavy, but here are the numbers:

Gross Combined Vehicle Weight 14240
Trailer Axle 4280
Drive Axle 4840
Steer Axle 5120
Truck Empty 9120
Empty Steer 5120
Empty Drive 4000
Pin 840
Trailer Gross Vehicle Weight 5120
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0682.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	42915
Old 10-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #26

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Was the trailer loaded for travel or empty?
Old 10-27-2019, 06:52 PM   #27

Bob, it was "Almost ready go to" loaded.

Full fuel, water, empty waste tanks. Our Regular "Stuff", but no food and missing "some" clothing. I would venture to guess no more than 200 lbs lighter than camp-ready.