5.0TA Hitch Safety Chains - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Here are photos of the Andersen safety chains:
Thanks That looks like the setup sold by Andersen, with replacement clamping bolts for the coupler that have loops welded onto them. Why not use much shorter chains, so if they are ever needed the trailer doesn't move so far before slamming into the end of the chain? As it is, if the trailer ever came forward it would run right into the cab, and side-to-side it would be very difficult for the truck to control a trailer with so much freedom to move. The shackles which attach the chains to the coupler bolts can be attached to any link of the chain to adjust the length.

It's unfortunate that there are not proper safety chain anchors on the truck, rather than hooking to those bars on the Andersen frame.

Anyone planning to use the "gooseneck" version of the Andersen Ultimate, which is anchored to a ball in the bed floor rather than rails as shown here, should use the safety chain loops provided in the bed floor.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:29 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I believe Jim B is using that set up. BTW, Andersen is supposedly coming out with a locking release pin mechanism soon.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I believe Jim B is using that set up. BTW, Andersen is supposedly coming out with a locking release pin mechanism soon.
Jim, I'm unclear on what you mean by locking pin? The current has a locking pin as well.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I was referring to the cable release mechanism, Thought it was turn and lock but no way to prevent someone from accidentally or purposely turning the lever while in a parking lot someplace.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Thanks That looks like the setup sold by Andersen, with replacement clamping bolts for the coupler that have loops welded onto them. Why not use much shorter chains, so if they are ever needed the trailer doesn't move so far before slamming into the end of the chain? As it is, if the trailer ever came forward it would run right into the cab, and side-to-side it would be very difficult for the truck to control a trailer with so much freedom to move. The shackles which attach the chains to the coupler bolts can be attached to any link of the chain to adjust the length.

It's unfortunate that there are not proper safety chain anchors on the truck, rather than hooking to those bars on the Andersen frame.

Anyone planning to use the "gooseneck" version of the Andersen Ultimate, which is anchored to a ball in the bed floor rather than rails as shown here, should use the safety chain loops provided in the bed floor.
You can easily shorten the chain. Simply move the shackle up the chain.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:42 PM   #16

Quote:
I was referring to the cable release mechanism, Thought it was turn and lock but no way to prevent someone from accidentally or purposely turning the lever while in a parking lot someplace.
Ok, I understand now. Fortunately, I'm in the habit of checking that among other things whenever we stop. However, a locking device would be comforting.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #17

Quote:
You can easily shorten the chain. Simply move the shackle up the chain.
Yes, I agree - I said the same thing. My question was why you run them so long... and of course I'm also suggesting to others that they keep them much shorter.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Jim, I'm unclear on what you mean by locking pin? The current has a locking pin as well.
When Jim first mentioned this I sent this question to Andersen:

Quote:
I heard in an online forum discussion that Andersen is planning to introduce some changes to the Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection system. One was described as
"a locking "Release pin" for the Ultimate to prevent accidental release of the pin."
Does this mean a positive locking feature for the coupler's latching pin, rather than just the twist-activated friction lock which is currently incorporated in the remote release cable handle? This would be welcome, as the current solution just doesn't seem to me to adequately ensure that the coupler is latched
That was a week ago; no response yet.

Quote:
I was thinking of accidental slippage of the friction lock, rather than tamper-resistance, but both are potential concerns.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
When Jim first mentioned this I sent this question to Andersen:

That was a week ago; no response yet.

I was thinking of accidental slippage of the friction lock, rather than tamper-resistance, but both are potential concerns.
I assume you emailed them. I've had good luck getting answers calling the number on their website.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:33 PM   #20

Quote:
I assume you emailed them. I've had good luck getting answers calling the number on their website.
Yes, it was e-mail. Calling is an idea worth trying, but I'm not in a rush, and in the past I have had good response from Andersen to e-mail. I generally like e-mail for technical information because it can be more clear, especially when specific part names or links to online information are involved. Also, phone contact means following their schedule...