5.0TA Hitch Safety Chains - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I spoke to Sean who handles East coast service....
Old 03-08-2016, 08:26 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I spoke to Sean who handles East coast service....
Not Jason?
Quote:
Just got off the phone with Jason at Andersen re: Ultimate 5th wheel set up.
In addition they are working on a locking "Release pin" for the Ultimate to prevent accidental release of the pin. Maybe 2-3 months before that is released.
I sent my e-mail to the general inbox (info@anderseninc.com) as well as to the likely address of someone there named Jason ( jason@anderseninc.com - other staff use just their first name this way).

Maybe I'll send a follow-up, or call as suggested.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:17 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It's unfortunate that there are not proper safety chain anchors on the truck, rather than hooking to those bars on the Andersen frame.

Anyone planning to use the "gooseneck" version of the Andersen Ultimate, which is anchored to a ball in the bed floor rather than rails as shown here, should use the safety chain loops provided in the bed floor.
My gooseneck hitch has U-bolts that mount through the bed to the hitch for chains. When not in use, they drop between the corrugations of the floor, leaving the bed flush.

I would think that on the extremely slim chance they would even come in to play, it would be a lot stronger than on the hitch, like on the Anderson rail mount version.
Quote:
I was referring to the cable release mechanism, Thought it was turn and lock but no way to prevent someone from accidentally or purposely turning the lever while in a parking lot someplace.
While I see reason for a wee bit of concern there, how likely is that to happen, and even if it did, how likely is the 600ish pound pin weight to bounce of too. Do others with the standard goodness mount, lock the hitch closed?

Regardless, it would be good to do a quick check before taking off from anywhere.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:40 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My gooseneck hitch has U-bolts that mount through the bed to the hitch for chains. When not in use, they drop between the corrugations of the floor, leaving the bed flush.

I would think that on the extremely slim chance they would even come in to play, it would be a lot stronger than on the hitch, like on the Anderson rail mount version.
That's the arrangement I was thinking of (and which Andersen shows in the safety chain installation guide), and I agree it's much stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
While I see reason for a wee bit of concern there, how likely is that to happen, and even if it did, how likely is the 600ish pound pin weight to bounce of too. Do others with the standard [gooseneck] mount, lock the hitch closed?
Most ball couplers (conventional or gooseneck) have a positive latch of some sort. With Andersen's setup, the pin position isn't even obviously visible so it might be more of a concern; you can see how far the handle protrudes from the cable housing, but it doesn't have the clear "latched or not" appearance of most latches. Even the simplest gooseneck ball coupler in existence has a simple pin... with a spring retainer that is clearly in place or not.

No trailer - even conventional - should bounce off of the ball, but somehow occasionally they do. The 5.0TA pin weight is higher than the tongue weight of a 21', but only by a couple hundred pounds and it's still only about 15% of the trailer weight (rather than the 12% typical of conventional Escapes). Gooseneck trailers typically run 20% or more pin weight, and those chains are required for them. Think "incident", rather than "regular bump in the road"...

Not a huge deal anyway, I suppose. You could run without safety chains, and not bother latching the coupler at all, and likely never have an issue. It would be interesting know how often someone notices while unhitching that the coupler was never latched at hitching time, with either conventional or in-bed ball location. I'll bet it happens, although most people would blame some vandal for opening the latch at a stop rather than admit they just forgot to close the latch at all.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Not Jason?

I sent my e-mail to the general inbox (info@anderseninc.com) as well as to the likely address of someone there named Jason ( jason@anderseninc.com - other staff use just their first name this way).

Maybe I'll send a follow-up, or call as suggested.
My bad, Jason it was.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:51 AM   #26

Quote:
My bad, Jason it was.
My point being it was a statement vs something in writing.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:53 AM   #27

Quote:
My point being it was a statement vs something in writing.
What happens is yet to be seen.
As far as locking capability, as with our conventional tow behind units it was always suggested to secure the hitch with some sore of locking apparatus. The conventional 5th wheel hitch has a place for locks so why not the Andersen?