5.0TA Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2018, 03:45 PM   #1

Trailer: none
5.0TA Question

Having never owned a 5th wheel, how far does the front of the 5.0 trailer extend into the truck bed? Or, in other words, how much bed space do you lose?
Hilola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
several factors will influence this -size of truck bed and type of hitch. I have a short bed so most of my bed is used some room in front and in back for a few chairs, rug, stove etc but not much. My truck is really more limited in the weight I can put back there with the tongue weight of the 5.0 so even if i had a lot of room i could not carry much.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
When you are towing a fifth wheel you really can't have anything in the bed sticking up higher than the bed rails or it would risk hitting the trailer or hitch pin arm when it swings to the side during sharp turns. You can carry some items in the bed, depending on how long or short your bed is. The hitch mount generally takes up most of the bed space between the wheel wells. I have a 6'4" bed which has enough room between the hitch mount and the front of the bed to accommodate a toolbox - the kind that mounts on the floor of the bed and does not stick up above the top of the bed sides - and that gives me a good bit of lockable storage space.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've been known to carry two bagged Ez-Ups in the bed of my truck, one on each side of the hitch, laying on the wheel wells. And an 8' folding table in front of the hitch, a large folding mat, two coolers and two folding chairs between the hitch and the tail gate. You really can carry a lot of stuff. But as is said, it has to stay below the bed rails and allow for the pin box to swing. Plus there's always payload and weather....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #5

yes pay load is my main limiting factor even with a short bed. i keep everything low at bed rail height i store some in front and some behind and some on either side. rug , chairs , stove , little fire thing , small propane tank, step ladder. my stuff is in the open so i don't store anything valuable- you would need a locking box or secure with locking cable if you are worried.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:49 PM   #6

Trailer: none
Thanks for the replies. So you could probably carry a small Honda/Yamaha generator in the front near the cab?
Hilola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Having never owned a 5th wheel, how far does the front of the 5.0 trailer extend into the truck bed? Or, in other words, how much bed space do you lose?

The center of the hitch will be over your axle so that should give you an idea where trailer will be. You will definitely loose some space to the hitch but you still have significant area still available.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3523.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	32579Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3524.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	32580Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3525.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	32581
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #8

i don't carry my generator back there because of pay load limitations but it would fit. You should get a longer bed then mine (5'5") and be sure to get a good amount of payload if you want to carry a lot of stuff..
Old 07-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Thanks for the replies. So you could probably carry a small Honda/Yamaha generator in the front near the cab?
I could easily carry a generator and with the hard locking tonneau cover I have a measure of security when trailer is not hooked up. My truck has a 6.5' bed that works very well for us.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote