5.0TA towing with a Tacoma - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2018, 04:05 PM   #1

Trailer: none 2018
5.0TA towing with a Tacoma

I am in the process of buying a 5.0TA and must also purchase a tow vehicle. I know all of the full size (F-150, etc) trucks with proper engines will be sufficient. My question, does anyone have experience towing a 5.0TA with a Tacoma. there is ample excess towing capacity (5500 lbs max gross camper vs 6900 lbs rated Tacoma for 2019) but not sure about hitches, transmission temperatures, etc. Thoughts please
Charlie Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Something that needs to be considered is how much carrying or load capacity. The 5.0 weight in the truck bed can be from 600-900 lbs, that weight and driver and fuel can limit you. My truck can pull 10,000 lbs but only carry 1400#
Old 11-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Sacramento View Post
I am in the process of buying a 5.0TA and must also purchase a tow vehicle. I know all of the full size (F-150, etc) trucks with proper engines will be sufficient. My question, does anyone have experience towing a 5.0TA with a Tacoma. there is ample excess towing capacity (5500 lbs max gross camper vs 6900 lbs rated Tacoma for 2019) but not sure about hitches, transmission temperatures, etc. Thoughts please
You probably CAN do it but the truck is going to be working very hard all the time or you will need to really slow down on steep grades. I have a 4.6l V-8 Tundra and have found my mileage is not much different than the V-6 engines I have had in the past and the Tundra does quite well with my 5.0TA and much lower RPMs.
I had a 19 ft Scamp 5er (prob 1000 lbs lighter than the 5.0TA) that I pulled with a 4.0 l V-6 Nissan Frontier and it worked hard with that.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While it wasn't a 5.0TA, I towed a 21 weighing 4600 lbs for a year with a Tacoma. I really wanted it to work because the truck was relatively new (2016) and I loved it. That said, after too much time at 4000RPM in 2nd & 3rd gear, and 10.5MPG, I traded in the Tacoma for a Ford F150 Supercab with a 6.5' bed & the 3.5 EcoBoost engine.

I'm getting better mileage (13.5 - 14) can go a long way between fuel stops with the optional 36 gallon tank, love the tow mirrors, and, while I miss the smaller Tacoma when not towing, the Ford is a far more practical tow vehicle. I suspect you would find the same towing the 5.0TA.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Tacoma towing a new 21

My 2009 Tacoma is heavily loaded with paddleboards, generator, etc. I drive between 55 and 60 when towing my new 21. Having just driven down the Oregan and California Coast mostly on on Highway 1 we averaged 12 mpg. As soon as we got on the freeway and are now in Borrego Springs our average jumped to 14.5 mpg. Yes we do slow down to 50 on steep grades but as soon as we park our Tacoma in the desert it's offroad driving and exploring. We towed our 19 for 8 years and averaged 15.5 mpg in about 9000 miles in 4 months each year. Air bags seem to work fine.
sprinkledavid@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:49 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
I like others would not go the Tacoma route, choosing the correct tow vehicle for trailer size involves more that just getting a tow vehicle that list the towing weights and capabilities of said vehicle. Safety margins for me would be 50% more over the manufactures limits, GVWR's, etc. Go with one of the big four manufactures of 1/2 ton pickups and be done with it, you won't ever feel like you make the wrong decisions when it come to towing, especially a Escape 5th wheel.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
I wanted the Tacoma for my 5 TA when I purchased it a year ago. Both the Toyota dealership and the local Cap - It franchise advised me to go with the 5.7 Tundra. Power was not sufficient they thought. More importantly the Tacoma has a composite bed not steel. The Cap- It guys were not prepared to install the hitch. Went with the 5.7 Tundra on our first trip last year to California and Arizona. It performed flawlessly.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: Charlie Sacremento... Here's a pic or two of our former tow. We put 172,000Kms or over 100,000 miles towing both 5.0 and 5.0TA. The Frontier 4L. V6 did have a metal box though. The Taco just takes more experience and under bed pinnings for the hitch install. Not everybodys cup of tea.
We graduated up to a Ram V6 Ecodiesel. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030591.jpg   P1040750.jpg   P1040872.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I would not automatically assume that all 1/2 ton V8 full size trucks meet the specs for towing an Escape 5.0 TA . I would suggest you run the numbers especially the payload capacity .
My 1/2 ton V8 truck is marginal for payload capacity when towing my 17 ft Casita SD or my 21ft trailer . We are planning on buying a new tow vehicle before next Spring so we are doing a lot of research as well .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:01 AM   #10

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I would not automatically assume that all 1/2 ton V8 full size trucks meet the specs for towing an Escape 5.0 TA . I would suggest you run the numbers especially the payload capacity .
My 1/2 ton V8 truck is marginal for payload capacity when towing my 17 ft Casita SD or my 21ft trailer . We are planning on buying a new tow vehicle before next Spring so we are doing a lot of research as well .
I know this has been discussed on other threads but just to confirm, what are the thoughts on adequate payload for the 5.0? I seem to recall 1,500# minimum on the doorjamb is a good amount. Thoughts?
Old 11-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
I know this has been discussed on other threads but just to confirm, what are the thoughts on adequate payload for the 5.0? I seem to recall 1,500# minimum on the doorjamb is a good amount. Thoughts?
My truck has a payload capacity of 1300 lbs ( Door Sticker)
The payload capacity for my truck is listed on the internet at approx 1600 lbs
The internet capacity does not allow for purchased options
I am looking for a truck with a minimum actual payload capacity of around 1600 lbs
This will allow for tongue weight , cargo ,two adult passengers plus one 75 lb dog and some weight cushion . Just my opinion !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... I am looking for a truck with a minimum actual payload capacity of around 1600 lbs
This will allow for tongue weight , cargo ,two adult passengers plus one 75 lb dog and some weight cushion .
That seems like the logical approach to me: get enough payload for what you will be carrying. I would just note that there is also a hitch (with mounting rails, brackets, whatever) to include in that list... and some fifth-wheel hitches can be very heavy.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:53 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That seems like the logical approach to me: get enough payload for what you will be carrying. I would just note that there is also a hitch (with mounting rails, brackets, whatever) to include in that list... and some fifth-wheel hitches can be very heavy.
I added a hard folding tonneau cover with built in tool box as well. A highly useful addition to any truck. Usually carry a 45 gal cooler and a couple of camp chairs and a small screen room. We also carry an inflatable kayak. Absolutely true that hitches can be heavy but you have options and for a trailer as light as a 5.0TA you don’t need a heavy hitch. My steel Anderson Ultimate weighs 40 lbs with pin adapter. The mounting hardware probably 50 or 60 lbs.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:59 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
My truck has a payload capacity of 1300 lbs ( Door Sticker)
The payload capacity for my truck is listed on the internet at approx 1600 lbs
The internet capacity does not allow for purchased options
I am looking for a truck with a minimum actual payload capacity of around 1600 lbs
This will allow for tongue weight , cargo ,two adult passengers plus one 75 lb dog and some weight cushion . Just my opinion !
🤔 Reasonable assumption, my truck has a 1660 payload rating and works for us, dog is only 65 lbs. so I carry some extra beer 😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:04 PM   #15

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We wanted the maximum payload we could get!

I just verified our payload by looking at the door pillar and have 1985#'s payload on our 2015 F150 XLT, Extended Cab, 6.5 box, 3.5 EB engine. When looking in late fall 2015 payload was our #1 concern.

As you move up in the configurations (XL, XLT, Lariat Platinum, etc) your payload goes down. If I remember correctly moving from a XLT to a Lariat we lost a significant amount of payload (looking at the pillars of the available trucks on the dealers lot).

The XLT gave us a backup camera with big screen, heated, cloth, electric seats on both sides (don't like leather), heated mirrors, bluetooth, Sirius Radio, rear window, lights in the box, shifter on the column (the console shifter takes up space we use), max tow package with integrated brake controller, etc. The only thing not available on the XLT was automatic interior thermostat for heat/air, but we adapted quickly to the old way of controlling the interior.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-28-2018, 10:16 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA towed with a 2017 GMC Canyon V6
We tow our 5.0TA with a 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 shortbed, using an Andersen Ultimate hitch. We towed it from Chilliwack to Dallas, taking the long route over the mountains. We recently got back from a trip to the top of the Ozark Mountains in NW AR. The truck averages about 15 mpg while towing and 25 mpg on the highway when not towing. It has a V6 with an 8 speed transmission. We're very happy with it. See a previous post I made where I provide more detailed feedback on our Chilliwack to Dallas trip.
jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:25 AM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkordzi View Post
See a previous post I made where I provide more detailed feedback on our Chilliwack to Dallas trip.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...-v6-12806.html
Old 11-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd be careful to avoid any GM product built after GM announced, this week, that it is shutting down five plants. The one in Oshawa, Ont. builds Chev and GMC trucks and those losing their jobs are not happy.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:57 AM   #19

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
I have a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport towing a classic 2013 19' Escape for the last two years. I love my truck and it handles my current setup just fine. HOWEVER, I have to down shift to 4th and 3rd gear to manage any significant grade at speed. The Taco has the power, no problem, but the noise at 4,000 RPM in 3rd gear plus the hit to MPG would be a lot worse with a 5.0TA. At first it was kinda fun acting like a big rig driver, learning how to pick the perfect gear for the grade or headwind, but now it is just work. I want a relaxing drive when I'm doing those long multi-state trips.

Bottom line, I'm now shopping for a Tundra as I still really like the standard features and reliability of Toyota's. Since the Tundra has the power to pull in 5th gear, one ends up with a similar MPG as a Taco in 3rd. I am planning to upgrade to a 5.0 TA myself sometime soon and would never consider keeping my Tacoma for that job.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:12 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 T
Pulling is not the only consideration. Axle weight GAWR loaded must be included. I pull with a F-150 eco boost crew cab. I am within all tolerance limits but wish I had a 250 for spare room. We just completed a 7000 mile trip to Alaska and back. I averaged 16mpg on the flat and 12 on the hills. I bet if you check the GAWR on the Tacoma it may not be adequate
Lee.Artman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.0ta, tacoma