5.0TA with 2015 F150 2.7L 5.5ft bed - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Another note about the Roadmaster add-on spring:
A quick search just for "Roadmaster" in the EscapeForum shows that it is has come up in discussion a number of times, but Ralph (hippo) seems to be the only member who has actually used it (I didn't find a post by one of the members named Carl mentioning Roadmaster, but I might have missed it). Ralph likes the product, as most people like what they choose (because they choose what they like).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:55 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Another note about the Roadmaster add-on spring:
A quick search just for "Roadmaster" in the EscapeForum shows that it is has come up in discussion a number of times, but Ralph (hippo) seems to be the only member who has actually used it (I didn't find a post by one of the members named Carl mentioning Roadmaster, but I might have missed it). Ralph likes the product, as most people like what they choose (because they choose what they like).
That would be me, Brian, and I have never mentioned it in a post so that is the reason why you didn't find it. Actually, the Roadmaster doesn't stiffen the ride, or at least I don't perceive the ride any stiffer in an "empty" truck because the tension on the coil springs are adjusted when they are installed, and could be readjusted if desired though I see no reason to do so. The Roadmaster coil springs "kick in" when cargo is added to the bed, and the tension is proportional to the load. I first "experienced" a Roadmaster in a company truck several years ago. I find the ride when cargo (or the 5.0TA is hitched) to be less bouncy on rough/bumpy roads and handling, especially in curves, is crisper (in my opinion). Pricey, yes, but I think it is well worth the cost. Granted, their sales pitch like almost every company "glorifies" their product. However, in my experience the "active" suspension is a big improvement over leaf springs alone.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #23

Thanks Carl. That is - in every way - a description of how every overloader spring works, including
  • stiff leaf springs attached only at the axle clamp, under the spring pack, which contact the pack and progressively add stiffness as the pack flattens under load
  • separate leaf springs above the axle that contact additional frame brackets when the axle moves up and add a fixed amount of stiffness (progressively increasing force) as the axle moves further up
  • extended bump stops (typically of rubber or polyurethane) which contact the axle at some point (in some case right from normal ride height) and progressively add stiffness as the axle moves up (Timbren is a common brand)
  • coil springs anchored on the shock absorbers (constant rate or progressive)
If the spring rate is chosen appropriately, the result can be quite desirable to many users, which is why pickup trucks commonly come with one or both of the first two designs in the list, right from the factory.

The Roadmaster design has no "slack" - it is always "in contact" (under tension) and adding stiffness so the action is more smoothly progressive than (for instance) the second option that I listed (which is very common on heavier pickups).
Old 01-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #24

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
I spoke with Reace a few weeks ago and I thought he said he just used the standard rails in bed on his F150 screw with a 5.5 bed. He also uses the Pro 15 K fifth wheel. He seems happy with this set up.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:11 PM   #25

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Please excuse my ignorance regarding 5th wheel hitches, but I have only owned "conventional" trailers before. I currently have a 2008 Bigfoot 21 that I tow with a 2010 F150 supercab with a 5.4L V-8. We are thinking of ordering a 5.0TA and getting a new TV ...probably a 4 door pickup with a 5.5 ft. bed. I like the idea of a flush bed when not towing and am therefore interested in the B&W Turnover ball gooseneck hitch that several forum users have mentioned. If anyone is familiar with this system, could they please tell me if I would buy a gooseneck adapter for the 5.0, and if one can just unbolt the fifth wheel part of the hitch from the stock 5.0 trailer. Also, does anyone know if one can use this set-up with a 5.5 foot bed. I did see that B&W offers a 4" offset ball hitch option.

I'm happy to hear from Carl that the 2.7 L V-6 handles the 5.0TA well and gets good mileage. If you read this post Carl, what kind of towing mileage do you get and under what conditions. I only get 12 mpg at best pulling my Bigfoot in the mountains, but that trailer is heavier and wider.
shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:48 PM   #26

Sliding hitch choice?

'Hitching' on to this discussion with our question, after lurking the last few months. Trailer newbie -- the last trailer we towed was a small tent trailer behind a mini-van, many moons ago...

We're also taking delivery of our 5.0TA in May; TV also an F-150 with 5.5' bed (with tow package, 7000 lb GVWR; 1794 lb rated payload). We need to choose a hitch. Because we'll use the trailer at our cabin, on a single lane dead-end road, we'll need to turn very sharply to park and turn around, so want a sliding hitch.

We'll most likely have Trademasters, the Chilliwack shop that ETI recommends, install the hitch. They recommend the Demco "Hijacker Premier Series Double Pivot Ultra Slide 16K" hitch (they are a Demco dealer...). From these forums and other places, the other models that are recommended include:

-- Reese Titan 16K Round Tube Slider
-- Reese 16K Square Tube Slider
-- Pro Series (Cequent/Reese) 15K Square Tube Slider

-- B&W Patriot 18K (!) with slider

-- Curt E16 / R16 Roller

Any experience, opinions, etc. on these options, or any others? The Hijacker has slide range of 8" -- the others range from 10" to 12". I'm not sure how much of a difference that's likely to make in maneuverability.

Thanks, everyone, for being here -- great help in configuring our build sheet, and ongoing ideas for setting up the trailer.
Tom and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:28 PM   #27

Trailer: none
Our B&W Patriot is the 16K (Model 3200) - not a slider but you can mount the head in a few different positions.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsherrard View Post
'Hitching' on to this discussion with our question, after lurking the last few months. Trailer newbie -- the last trailer we towed was a small tent trailer behind a mini-van, many moons ago...

We're also taking delivery of our 5.0TA in May; TV also an F-150 with 5.5' bed (with tow package, 7000 lb GVWR; 1794 lb rated payload). We need to choose a hitch. Because we'll use the trailer at our cabin, on a single lane dead-end road, we'll need to turn very sharply to park and turn around, so want a sliding hitch.

We'll most likely have Trademasters, the Chilliwack shop that ETI recommends, install the hitch. They recommend the Demco "Hijacker Premier Series Double Pivot Ultra Slide 16K" hitch (they are a Demco dealer...). From these forums and other places, the other models that are recommended include:

-- Reese Titan 16K Round Tube Slider
-- Reese 16K Square Tube Slider
-- Pro Series (Cequent/Reese) 15K Square Tube Slider

-- B&W Patriot 18K (!) with slider

-- Curt E16 / R16 Roller

Any experience, opinions, etc. on these options, or any others? The Hijacker has slide range of 8" -- the others range from 10" to 12". I'm not sure how much of a difference that's likely to make in maneuverability.

Thanks, everyone, for being here -- great help in configuring our build sheet, and ongoing ideas for setting up the trailer.
Hi: tsherrard... I'd talk to Reace at ETI. He has that very same truck and I believe some special hitch... Likely a slider from Trademasters. We have a Nissan Frontier w/ 6'1" bed and a 16K Husky EZRoller Husky Towing and never roll it!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:22 PM   #29

That's quite the list... probably because almost any brand of fifth-wheel is available with a slider, and they all work so any could be "recommended".

Although the E16 is the lightest Curt, members in this forum who have experience with different Curt designs have recommended the Q20 instead for its jaw and pivot designs. That would go with the R20 roller, rather than the R16.

The type which is obviously missing - to someone interested in these designs - is an automatic slider. Perhaps the best known is the Pullrite SuperGlide; I'm not recommending that, just pointing out that there is a choice which doesn't require you to move the slide before and after each tight turning situation.

Although Hijacker Ultra-Slide works manually like the other brands, Demco also has an automatic slider: the Hijacker Autoslide.

As Fran suggested, you can also adjust the position of some fixed-position hitches to put the pin far enough back to make your required turn angle... and leave it there. The big factor to watch for would be the rear axle load, because the further back you place the pin weight the more load will be on the rear axle.

Quote:
The Hijacker has slide range of 8" -- the others range from 10" to 12". I'm not sure how much of a difference that's likely to make in maneuverability.
To turn 90 degrees - an arbitrary amount but it's hard to imagine needing more, even in an extreme reverse maneouver - the pin needs to be more than 44" (half of the 88" trailer body width) from the cab. It seems to me that the difference between 44" and the normal cab-to-pin distance is the most that could be needed.

Quote:
-- B&W Patriot 18K (!) with slider.
I assume the "!" is a comment on the high load rating. Although 18,000 pounds is much higher than required, even the lowest-capacity common fifth-wheel hitch is rated for 15,000 pounds - still three times what is required and not much different from 18,000. The better design features are often reserved for the more expensive models, so while the lowest-capacity models are attractive for their light weight, getting a desirable hitch often means buying something heavier than the basic model.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicVic View Post
I spoke with Reace a few weeks ago and I thought he said he just used the standard rails in bed on his F150 screw with a 5.5 bed. He also uses the Pro 15 K fifth wheel. He seems happy with this set up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: tsherrard... I'd talk to Reace at ETI. He has that very same truck and I believe some special hitch... Likely a slider from Trademasters.
Given the completely contradictory statements about Reace's hitch which appear in various discussions, it looks like someone with a stake in this configuration should just ask him... or post a photo of his setup (the hitch, not the truck and trailer).
Old 03-15-2016, 11:40 AM   #31

Thanks for the detailed, thoughtful reply, Brian, and for the 'autoslide' comments -- I forgot to mention this in my OP. The Hijacker UltraSlide was Trademasters' original recommendation (and another dealer recommended the PullRite). Since the need for the slide will be infrequent, I assume, I had already considered and rejected these hitches -- cost, weight, complexity, failure points...
Tom and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote