5th Wheel Hitch - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2017, 09:27 AM   #121

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Big Iron

We used to regularly load two one ton pallets of fertilizer (100 50 lb bags) into those beefed up 3500s and not much more than get down to the overloads. The owners said the ride got best at about a ton on the rear axle. I know this was true with the companies' F 550. Those big pickups can really do some work if called upon. As my Dad used to say " She'll pass anything but a gas station."
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #122

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
5th Wheel Hitch

[QUOTE=Brian B-P;183596]

Do the tank sensor wires really hang loose like that?
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #123

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
They do if you do not get the Escape foam package, I had wires on both of my Lance trailers hanging down, I tied them up tighter.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #124

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I just realized that my link to Bob's photo (illustrating the 5.0TA beam axle and leaf spring suspension) only displays in a small size. For more detail, follow my earlier link to the original discussion, or this link to the image.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:04 PM   #125

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (May 2015)
Send a message via Skype™ to HappyCampers
Brian, our 5.0TA has torflex axles. Not really sure how the whole thing is going to be raised. Will let the experts handle that one for me.

As far as a Chev 3500: In the past we have had truck campers, including Lance, and we also like going into the mountains. Not much of that here in Minnesota, but we do like to get about. Some of those times I have even made my present Chev diesel work hard, and past gas engines work even harder. This is also true for coming down steep grades - even last year in the Black Hills, and the year before in the Bighorn Mountains. I never, ever want again to feel that my vehicle can not take me anywhere in complete confidence. And, I drive conservatively. When we came back from Chilliwack with our new toy, lots of people passed me by, as I drove with the cruise at 60 mph. When we got to some smallish hills, I was able to keep it in cruise and passed all the others who previously passed me. For me this is not a competition, but I feel safer, in better control, and do not worry about over stressing the equipment, when I have more than enough truck. Soon I will be retired and we plan to go to all four corners of the US, and into Canada. I am sure plenty of 1/2 ton trucks will go in the same places, but I will only be discouraged by how rough or narrow a road might be, not by the grade. For me, diesel is the only way to go. And when towing the Escape we still get 15+ mpg.

And for a big surprise, the 3500 was actually $150 cheaper than the 2500! Also, with 18" wheels on the 3500, vs 20" for the 2500, replacement tires will be cheaper, too. In Minnesota the vehicle tax goes by weight and value of the machine. We just got a new Outback and paid about $426 for title and registration. By some stranger than strange reason, the Chev 3500 will only be $125. For 1500 and 2500 the title and registration would be even higher than the Outback.

Ja, the truck is overkill, but you need to go big to get the diesel. The diesel in the Nissan was an option, but we still carry too much stuff in the truck cab to consider the Nissan ( and the truck reviews I saw were still not the most complimentary ), and the small diesel that GM offers has less HP and torque than the gas engines. That one would only have the advantage of really good MPG when running empty.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:36 PM   #126

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Glad it's working out for you. As Jim Bennett so eloquently said "Love the one your
with".
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #127
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCampers View Post
....For me, diesel is the only way to go. And when towing the Escape we still get 15+ mpg.
I've also been asked the same MPG with my combo via PM. The best I've been able to answer (2014 Ford F-150 w/ecoboost) going over the Siskiyoes (twice) is 3mpg going up... 33 mpg going down. Truly. There's too many variables to be consistent. A LOT of that is speed. Just so you know, I average about 16.4 with my combo and it's gas not diesel.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #128

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Brian, our 5.0TA has torflex axles. Not really sure how the whole thing is going to be raised. Will let the experts handle that one for me.
Thanks.
A "lift kit" for a Torflex is a set of spacers between the frame rails of the trailer and the brackets of the Torflex suspension.
  • If it doesn't have a spacer now, hopefully there's some spare clearance with the current truck and the standard (from Dexter) 2-5/8" tall frame spacer kit (one K71-707-02 or two of K71-707-01) will be enough. At US$175 for the parts for both axles plus a straightforward installation, this shouldn't be too bad.
  • If it already has spacers, it should be interesting to see how the shop does this; I hope they would build a taller spacer frame, not stack stuff up.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:09 AM   #129

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Quote:
...Ja, the truck is overkill, but you need to go big to get the diesel. The diesel in the Nissan was an option, but we still carry too much stuff in the truck cab to consider the Nissan ( and the truck reviews I saw were still not the most complimentary ), and the small diesel that GM offers has less HP and torque than the gas engines. That one would only have the advantage of really good MPG when running empty.
We are enjoying our Canyon with the 2.8 Duramax. Handles the 5.0 with plenty to spare. The torque is at low RPMs, of course, vice the gas versions. Minimum average MPG has been 21. - John
john o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:37 PM   #130

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Any one who use a gooseneck ball hitch with the ultimate 5th wheel attachment on a Ford 150 5'5" bed did you get the off set ball attachment allows for 4 inches of clearance? Or do you not need it?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #131

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatLongJohn View Post
Hi Chuck! We've just "joined the ranks" with you (as well as Mark and Elaine) and purchased a Toyota Tundra (2013 5.7L Double Cab) for towing our (Aug. 2017) 5.0TA. Anyhow, I was just wondering what you decided concerning the Anderson hitch and whether you opted for the rail system or the under mount "goose neck" for your Tundra. I'm leaning toward the Anderson to save weight, but also considering a the Curt 16A. I'd love to save some weight and be able to easily remove the hitch, but also need to weigh that against the ease of hitching and unhitching a traditional type 5th wheel hitch.
Thanks for sharing what you decided.
John
I have a 2012 Tundra Double Cab 4 x 4 with the 4.6 l engine. I installed a custom fit rail system from Etrailer(don't remember brand) and use the anderson hitch with it. I can pick up the anderson with one hand and remove it each time as my truck is also for work. I bought a 2015 5.0 TA this fall and brought it back to Vermont from Vegas no problem. The anderson hitch ball is on the higher setting and clearances are good all around. I have stock suspension and it tows just fine. I am used to a Scamp 19 5er w/ the ball so hitching is not a big deal. I did buy one of those magnetic alignment helpers with the balls and will be using that to help me get it set alone. Good luck, stop worrying and happy camping!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:26 PM   #132

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
F 150 Short bed and rails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
One advantage of rails is having a place to put the chain loops. (Some jurisdictions require chains because the Anderson has a ball.)

You can see the Curt 16000 Fifth Wheel Safety Chain Loops on the rail next to the hitch pedestal. I have the Anderson chains option and hook onto these.
OK so I'm impaled on the horns of a dilemma. (WC Fields)

1. The picture from Reagent Grade shows what looks like the Reece 58058 rails in a short bed truck. The Reece kit I bought bolts to side brackets which are very well designed for the F 150 as they mount to the frame using existing holes. The front rail mounts to the bracket using the aft holes and the forward holes just go thru the sheetmetal in a difficult to get to area but they don't go thru the bracket. The rear rails bolt to the Reece bracket with all four 1/2" bolts. This puts the mid point between rails approx. 2 1/4" ahead of the axle.
The Anderson ball is 32 1/2" aft of the top of the cab. (30 1/2 aft of the cab measured at the top of the front bed rail just below the rear window)

2. Reece also makes a 30124 rail which bolts thru the center of the rail using 2 each 5/8" bolts per rail. All 4 bigger bolts fasten to the bracket AND the mid point between rails is centered over the axle. This gives an additional 2 1/4 inch clearance between the Anderson Hitch and the cab. Not sure if it messes up any clearance between the tailgate and the trailer.
Since ETI is reversing the Anderson Coupler would the #2 be a better option for mounting the rails? Vastly easier to install. I have emailed ETI so am hoping for an answer from them.
If you are using a Short Bed truck it would be worth looking into the 30124 rails with the side brackets.

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-50081-C...+wheel+bracket

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=desktop
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #133
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
OK so I'm impaled on the horns of a dilemma. (WC Fields)

1. The picture from Reagent Grade shows what looks like the Reece 58058 rails in a short bed truck. The Reece kit I bought bolts to side brackets which are very well designed for the F 150 as they mount to the frame using existing holes. The front rail mounts to the bracket using the aft holes and the forward holes just go thru the sheetmetal in a difficult to get to area but they don't go thru the bracket. The rear rails bolt to the Reece bracket with all four 1/2" bolts. This puts the mid point between rails approx. 2 1/4" ahead of the axle.
The Anderson ball is 32 1/2" aft of the top of the cab. (30 1/2 aft of the cab measured at the top of the front bed rail just below the rear window)

2. Reece also makes a 30124 rail which bolts thru the center of the rail using 2 each 5/8" bolts per rail. All 4 bigger bolts fasten to the bracket AND the mid point between rails is centered over the axle. This gives an additional 2 1/4 inch clearance between the Anderson Hitch and the cab. Not sure if it messes up any clearance between the tailgate and the trailer.
Since ETI is reversing the Anderson Coupler would the #2 be a better option for mounting the rails? Vastly easier to install. I have emailed ETI so am hoping for an answer from them.
If you are using a Short Bed truck it would be worth looking into the 30124 rails with the side brackets.
Hi SFDavis, Yes the 30124 rails will defiantly work better and should put the center of rails @ ~27" from back of cab (center of axles). which should leave your ball @ ~ 28-1/2" roughly from back of cab and heel of the pin box about 8" from your closed tailgate. The problem looks to be your open tailgate possible hitting the trailer frame, it might be very close. Maybe some with an Anderson hitch could help you with this measurement, seeing that from tail gate to center of axles is the same on f-150's. good luck
Tin.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:13 PM   #134
Tin

Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Hi SFDavis, Yes the 30124 rails will defiantly work better and should put the center of rails @ ~27" from back of cab (center of axles). which should leave your Pin @ ~ 28-1/2" roughly from back of cab(ball @ ~ 32-1/2") and heel of the pin box about 8" from your closed tailgate. The problem looks to be your open tailgate possible hitting the trailer frame, it might be very close. Maybe some with an Anderson hitch could help you with this measurement, seeing that from tail gate to center of axles is the same on f-150's. good luck
Tin.
Sorry meant Pin instead of ball, 5-1/2" hitch offset - 4" pin adapter in forward position. I must admit this truly is a conundrum as it pertains to the tail gate vs frame clearance and trailer to cab clearance on a f-150 with a 5'5 bed.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:30 PM   #135

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Sorry meant Pin instead of ball, 5-1/2" hitch offset - 4" pin adapter in forward position. I must admit this truly is a conundrum as it pertains to the tail gate vs frame clearance and trailer to cab clearance on a f-150 with a 5'5 bed.
My understanding is that ETI mounts the Anderson Coupler Block reversed so the King Pin is is actually ahead of the ball coupler by 4 inches. This is because the Pin Box can scrape against the side rails of the truck in a tight turn. No problem with a 6.5' bed but I am also worried about the trailer corner contacting the cab in a normal tight turn if the Coupler Block is reversed. Reversing the Coupler Block kind of threw my calculations into a tizzy. No answer from ETI, I may have confused them. Anyway I am going ahead with the 2 bolt per rail (30124 rails). Easier installation by far. Thanks for your input. My orientation date is July 10 so I'll let everyone know how it works out.
Also, I have the high lift option so the trailer corners may be a bit higher than the cab and the Pin Box will also have more clearance above the side rails.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:54 PM   #136

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Let us know how this works out I am doing all this in oct with the 5.5 bed 150
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:05 AM   #137
Tin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I planned the same setup for my 5.0TA, but when I went to pick it up, Dennis installed it while I was doing our orientation. He installed the adaptor with the pin forward. When hitched, this left about 1" of clearance from the frame with the tailgate opened, and this is with the truck straight on to the trailer. You could do a bit of an angle, but not a lot. I left it like this for the tow back. I was used to opening the tailgate to attach the chains and put stuff in the back of the box, but this was near impossible hooked this way.

The gooseneck ball is about 1" forward of the axle, the Anderson hitch offsets the gooseneck ball about 5", and the adaptor is another 4" offset.
SFDavis50;
As Jim noted he had 1" clearance from tailgate to frame with pin center of axle
This means you should have about 2" clear.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:55 PM   #138

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
With all the discussion about F150 short box pickups towing 5.0TA’s, I thought I would give my 2 cents.

We had a RAM 1500, but were close to the max payload, so we jumped on the bandwagon and ordered a F150, Supercrew, 3.5EB, 10 speed, 5.6 box for more payload and towing peace of mind. The RAM had the traditional rails and 5th wheel hitch, just under 200lbs worth of steel and a PITA to remove the hitch part from the truck when using it for other things. The rails were also in the way.

With the F150, we got a Curt under mount hidden ball hitch, the ball is 2+ inches in front of the rear axle. We also use the Andersen aluminum 5th wheel hitch. Due to the 5.5 inch offset, the ball on the Andersen mount that attaches to the trailer is about 2 inches behind the rear axle. Removing this part from the truck bed is easy, only 35 lbs. The receiver part that attaches to the trailer can be attached in front of or behind the trailer pin. I tried both positions and having it in front works well.

I was concerned about the truck height being too high for the trailer, but this turned out to be not an issue. There is about 8-9 inches between the truck bedsides and the trailer frame. The trailer sits about 1 inch high at the front when on the truck. I do have to be aware when turning sharply as the trailer could hit the cab, but it hasn’t come close and I don’t foresee needing to turn 90 degrees. The only downside is raising the trailer a bit more to get it over the ball and not being able to open the tailgate when the trailer is attached. Neither one is a showstopper.
Overall, this combo works well for us.
Attached Thumbnails
20170605D8E_1656.jpg   20170605D8E_1658.jpg  
Old 06-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #139

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
I have a short bed (5') Canyon and had them mount the Andersen Ultimate hitch 5" more toward the tailgate and then I reversed the long side of the hitch "A" frame to the rails. There's now plenty of room to drop the gate and the bed load weight is an unnoticeable difference.
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote