5th Wheel Hitch - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmchamplin View Post
Could you give me the specific part numbers of the Andersen and B&W products that you are using?
The B&W specific product will depend on your truck, although it would be model of the Turnoverball. Do you have the truck yet, or know what you will be getting? You can look it up in their Hitch Finder.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:05 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Andersen Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmchamplin View Post
Could you give me the specific part numbers of the Andersen and B&W products that you are using?
The Andersen Ultimate Gooseneck Connection numbers are 3220 or 3225 depending on whether you want their original or the newer aluminum model. They work the same, but the aluminum is about 50% lighter.
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #43

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
5th Wheel Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
What are you pulling with your Anderson Ultimate on rails? Your profile says "Trailer: none".

Thomas,

I pull a 1987 Bigfoot 20DLX. I'll sell it before picking up my 2017 5.0 TA in September. I love my Bigfoot, but I'll love my Escape even more!

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:44 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Thomas,

I pull a 1987 Bigfoot 20DLX. I'll sell it before picking up my 2017 5.0 TA in September. I love my Bigfoot, but I'll love my Escape even more!

Rich
There doesn't look like much clearance between your cab and the trailer, but it is hard to tell from the angle of the photo. Have you determined this hitch/truck/5.5' bed combination will definitely work with a 5.0 TA? I have yet to find a definitive answer to this question.

I assume the ball placement on an Anderson Ultimate is the same regardless if it is using rails or a gooseneck ball to mount on the truck. Can someone confirm this?
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
I assume the ball placement on an Anderson Ultimate is the same regardless if it is using rails or a gooseneck ball to mount on the truck. Can someone confirm this?
Close. From another discussion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The ball of the truck-mounted frame of the Andersen Ultimate is offset from the centre of the mounting points in the bed (ball or rails). That offset is 5" or 5.5" depending on the version ("gooseneck" or rail-mounted) of the hitch; it can be turned forward (which one would not do for an Escape unless they had a well over three feet (and preferably over four feet) of cab-to-axle clearance.

The trailer side of the Andersen Ultimate is a coupler (for the system's 2-5/16" ball) which clamps onto the trailer's pin. The coupler is offset 4" from the pin (centre to centre), but this is not the same as shifting the hitch. It is like a pin box extension, although a very short one. It could also be turned to the rear, but again this would only make clearance worse for most Escape owners, instead of better.

A recent discussion of this was in Pull 5.0 TA with a 2005/06 Tundra?, complete with diagrams (starting around post #23 for the offset details). This is buried in the middle of a thread specific to the first-generation Tundra, which is typical, and that does make it hard to find these discussions.
Rails and bed-mounted balls are usually centred in the same location, although the precise location depends on brand.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:45 AM   #46

Trailer: 5.0TA 19 Aug 2016, 2012 Dodge RAM 1500, Andersen Hitch.
We took delivery of our 5.0TA in mid Aug 2016. I purchased the Andersen Ultimate 3200 (Rails) in the US, hauled it with the rest of our gear to Chilliwack. ETI scheduled our rails and the Andersen installation by Trademaster the day before our orientation. ETI installed the hitch conversion block on the trailer and insured the hitch set up was OK. The ETI truck imported the trailer to Sumas, WA. We swapped trucks and we came back through Customs into Canada and back to Chilliwack. We stayed two nights getting the trailer loaded, provisioned and organized. We then travelled 5000 plus miles and some 50 days getting back home in California. We drove the Rocky Mountains of Canada and the US, the plains and prairies. The trailer and the Andersen Hitch were great. Easy hookup and unhook-I have one of the first Andersen hitches with the inverted 6 inch bowl on the hitch block. Back up and get the ball inside the bowl and you have it made. At about 42 pounds, the hitch is easy to install/remove. We have a 2012 Dodge RAM 1500 with a 6 ft 4 inch box. Easy to manuever, hardly know the trailer is behind you, and a U-turn is no sweat. Because of variance in Provence/state laws, I do have Andersen safety chains. The hitch is smooth and quiet; we are very pleased with it and the 5.0TA. I haven’t checked the Canadian/US Exchange rate since our delivery, but purchasing in Canada was defintiely advantagious to us.
ethanallen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:12 AM   #47

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
I'm not actually hitched up in this photo. My truck is closer to the trailer than when towing. There are others with the Anderson, 5.5' bed, and TA.

I suggest you filter that link Brian had in his email. Lots of details on the Anderson!

But the ideal TV might be this truck screen back east on s revert trip.

This was not done with Photoshop! It's an actual metal and plastic truck. A stretch pickup with a family of six and their sticky fifth wheel.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:47 PM   #48

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
5th wheel hitch all in weight.

Based on everything I’ve seen and read I’m now looking at using the Anderson 5th wheel hitch. I thought it would be interesting to look at the all in weights and cost of each model of Anderson 5th wheel hitches along with the Curt Q16 5th wheel hitch. For tow vehicle I used the late model F150. For cost I used Tweetys web site and for weights of hitches and related hardware I used manufacturer web sites.

I’ve seen people throw around some weight numbers, but typically those numbers are for only the hitch itself and it does not include required brackets and hardware.

Obviously if you already have the gooseneck ball or rails mounted in your tow vehicle, the cost will be lower, but the total weight will be about the same.

This is just to give a general idea of all in weight and price. I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind or opinion of their chosen setup, but only how each model pans out.

List below is the weight of hitch including mounting brackets/hardware and total price for each hitch with mounting brackets/hardware.

Anderson 3200 – Steel – Rail Mount - Weight = 93lbs
Price = $595

Anderson 3225 – Steel – Gooseneck - Weight = 148lbs
Price = $1049

Curt Q16 – Steel – STD 5th Wheel - Weight = 201lbs
Price = $490

Anderson 3220 – Aluminum – Gooseneck - Weight = 126lbs
Price = $1169

Anderson 3221 – Aluminum – Gooseneck - Weight = 126lbs
Price = $1269
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:54 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Based on everything I’ve seen and read I’m now looking at using the Anderson 5th wheel hitch. I thought it would be interesting to look at the all in weights and cost of each model of Anderson 5th wheel hitches along with the Curt Q16 5th wheel hitch. For tow vehicle I used the late model F150. For cost I used Tweetys web site and for weights of hitches and related hardware I used manufacturer web sites.

I’ve seen people throw around some weight numbers, but typically those numbers are for only the hitch itself and it does not include required brackets and hardware.

Excellent! Two questions:
  1. For the Andersen Ultimate, did you include safety chains?
  2. What did you use for the "gooseneck" floor-level ball mount? A B&W Turnoverball, perhaps, or another brand?
Old 11-17-2016, 08:12 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The weight of my B&W Turnover Ball (88 lbs) plus the Andersen Ultimate (32 lbs) only totals 120 lbs.

I added up all the weights including the hitches, an estimate of 800 tongue weight, myself, my wife, our dog, and the tonneau cover and tool box, and still have about 300 lbs for cargo.

This past year using the temp trailer I bought, with a tongue weight well over a 1,000 lbs (dry), plus near the 300 in cargo weight, I never had a hint of trouble with the weight. It only set the truck down an inch or so, though I never actually measured that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:41 AM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Andersen safety chains weigh 9lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

Excellent! Two questions:
  1. For the Andersen Ultimate, did you include safety chains?
  2. What did you use for the "gooseneck" floor-level ball mount? A B&W Turnoverball, perhaps, or another brand?
Andersen safety chains weigh 10lbs, including the shipping carton, just received. The included bolts replace existing bolts so the net additional weight of the chains is probably just under 9lbs for the pair.
The B&W Turnoverball setup does include loops to which the safety chains can be attached.
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #52

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&R_MA View Post
Andersen safety chains weigh 10lbs, including the shipping carton, just received. The included bolts replace existing bolts so the net additional weight of the chains is probably just under 9lbs for the pair.
The B&W Turnoverball setup does include loops to which the safety chains can be attached.
I never counted the chain weight into my calculations. Missed that!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:02 PM   #53

For goose neck mount I used the Curt turn over ball equivalent. I only used hitch and bracket components needed to mount the hitch. Each person would have to look at what they want to use and consider weights beyond just the hitch.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #54

Quote:
For goose neck mount I used the Curt turn over ball equivalent.
Thanks
That would presumably be the Curt Double Lock Gooseneck Hitch Kit #60724. Like other similar products, it includes anchor points for safety chains.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:05 PM   #55

Trailer: 2016 5.0TA
Send a message via AIM to Monica Rose
Kent, the issue we had with the hitch for the 5.0 TA was the height, as we chose to get the Lift Kit (raising the trailer 2 1/2"). Verena at TradeMasters found a Curt 16K & slide that gave us what we needed: 50 1/2" of height. As we already had standard rails from a prior Reese installation, the Curt 16K was installed in about an hour. We chose to have the work done there (after correspondence with Verena prior to our pickup of the trailer), thinking that they would coordinate any issues with ETI, should they arise. The US $ exchange rate was favorable as well. If you are concerned about hitch weight, you might consider air bags, which we also had installed before the trip to pick up the trailer. The combination has been perfect for us with ease of control & handling one expects with a 5th wheel coupling.
Monica Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:37 PM   #56

Monica Rose, curious what year, make and model of tow vehicle you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica Rose View Post
Kent, the issue we had with the hitch for the 5.0 TA was the height, as we chose to get the Lift Kit (raising the trailer 2 1/2"). Verena at TradeMasters found a Curt 16K & slide that gave us what we needed: 50 1/2" of height. As we already had standard rails from a prior Reese installation, the Curt 16K was installed in about an hour. We chose to have the work done there (after correspondence with Verena prior to our pickup of the trailer), thinking that they would coordinate any issues with ETI, should they arise. The US $ exchange rate was favorable as well. If you are concerned about hitch weight, you might consider air bags, which we also had installed before the trip to pick up the trailer. The combination has been perfect for us with ease of control & handling one expects with a 5th wheel coupling.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:44 PM   #57

Quote:
Kent, the issue we had with the hitch for the 5.0 TA was the height, as we chose to get the Lift Kit (raising the trailer 2 1/2"). Verena at TradeMasters found a Curt 16K & slide that gave us what we needed: 50 1/2" of height.
This sounds like the challenge to get a tall enough hitch to reach the trailer's pin, installed in Monica's 2003 Chevy Silverado. If it is 2WD truck, it might be a bit low compared to current models and the very common 4WD models, especially for hitching to a raised trailer. Add-on slider components raise the hitch, because they install between the hitch frame and rails.

Was there an issue getting enough height? All of the hitch systems are adjustable in height above the truck bed floor, and the pin box of the Escape is adjustable in height as well (although the current model only has a couple of height positions).

Quote:
If you are concerned about hitch weight, you might consider air bags, which we also had installed before the trip to pick up the trailer.
Although one weight concern is the total weight-carrying capacity of the truck, just as great a concern for owners appears to be managing the removable parts of the hitch when they install and remove them.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:57 PM   #58

Brian, is 48" no trailer lift and 50.5" with lift the number to be looking at when determining height needed for tow vehicle and hitch combination?

I know the 2017 5.0TA is yet to be seen, but imagine it would be much the same as the pin box on current models.

I imagine there is an industry standard?
Old 11-18-2016, 07:12 PM   #59

Quote:
Monica Rose, curious what year, make and model of tow vehicle you have?
We have a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500, 5.3 liter engine, tow package, 373 rear end & air bags.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:24 PM   #60

Quote:
We have a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500, 5.3 liter engine, tow package, 373 rear end & air bags.
And, yes, the truck is a 2WD. Considering various road conditions, as well as trailer parks, we really wanted to have the trailer raised. 2 1/2" doesn't seem like much, but it does make a difference as we tow over various surfaces. Entrance/egress height is not so noticeable.