5th Wheel Hitch Installation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2019, 06:26 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So it is a vertical adjustment not a horizontal adjustment....?
Old 01-24-2019, 06:41 AM   #22

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Was raising the pin box a one person job? I need to do mine too.
It took about 1-2 hours (didn't keep track of time) and was done in 20 degree weather with a foot of snow on the ground. I did it myself using smaller bolts with large washers to temporally hold the box until you get the box in the same plane. I would have probably saved about 10 minutes if someone was there to help me.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-24-2019, 06:44 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So it is a height adjustment not a horizontal adjustment....?
Ours can only be adjusted vertically, not horizontally.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-24-2019, 06:54 AM   #24

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
It took about 1-2 hours (didn't keep track of time) and was done in 20 degree weather with a foot of snow on the ground. I did it myself using smaller bolts with large washers to temporally hold the box until you get the box in the same plane. I would have probably saved about 10 minutes if someone was there to help me.

Enjoy,

Perry
Thanks, I think I'll wait till it warms up.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:13 PM   #25

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i was concerned about the hitch truck trailer all working together i use trademasters everything was perfect. But i couldn't do it my self -nor wanted to- also I really needed their technical assistance. Local hitch shops were very unhelpful didn't seem to be aware of the Anderson and really did not want to install a hitch in a short bed.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:45 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The pin box has always been adjustable, goes up and down. I think there are 3 sets of holes you can use. Here's a write up on it from etrailer although the pin box they show has more adjustment hole sets then mine does.

https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...LC1191191.html
That's close, but I think - as discussed earlier - that the pin box currently (or at least recently) used by Escape is the 1716.

Quote:
So it is a vertical adjustment not a horizontal adjustment....?
Quote:
Ours can only be adjusted vertically, not horizontally.
The Atwood AB-34 pin box which was previously used was angled so that extending it both lowered the pin and moved it forward. The recently used Lippert (1716, I think) pin box extends vertically.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
the Atwood AB-34 pin box which was previously used was angled so that extending it both lowered the pin and moved it forward. The recently used Lippert (1716, I think) pin box extends vertically.
I guess if you're willing to use only four of the six bolts on each side it will extend vertically.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:12 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Escape will want to know your bed length (minimum 5'6") and the hight of side rails before they build the trailer. They will adjust the pin arm accordingly. Also with the Anderson hitch, they charge $50.00 CN to attach the Anderson ball receiver to the trailer and ensure it works with your truck.

Now this is new news to me, they adjust the trailer according to your truck? What happens later if you purchase another truck, can it be adjusted again? Did not know the set up on the trailer was adjustable also.
The 5.0’s on this forum are towed by a wide variety of trucks. The only thing that is done to accommodate the tow is adjust the pin and for the taller trucks the raised axel. ETI wants to know the truck height so they can set the proper pin height and weather you need the raised axle or not. Attached pic shows pin height options
Attached Thumbnails
A435753C-90DF-4EF8-94B6-9BF8B9ABB2A7.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:21 PM   #29

In this picture it is set higher correct. If you lowered it, then all 4 bolts would be in use versus just 2 per side?
Old 01-24-2019, 05:40 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
In this picture it is set higher correct. If you lowered it, then all 4 bolts would be in use versus just 2 per side?
There are 6 bolts per side. The way it’s set right now trailer rides perfectly level, which is what you want, especially with dual axels. If the trailer was high in the front I could move the pin box up to the next set of holes. If I had to go the other way I would only be able to use 3 bolts per side. 🤔Not sure that’s recommended.
Make sense?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:31 PM   #31

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Jim, I think you are looking at the braces that hold the "box" rigid and at right angles to the trailer. The movable part is the angled arm. In the photo it has 6 bolts holding it lower within the "box" that has the effect of raising the nose of the trailer higher for clearance. If the arm was mounted in the next empty set of holes near the top of the box, the nose of the trailer would sit lower.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:33 PM   #32

Gotcha, thanks....
Old 01-24-2019, 06:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I used Trademaster just yesterday to install the B&W gooseneck ball to be used with the Anderson Ultimate hitch. I have a 2017 Tundra CrewMax cab with a 5'6" bed. I went with the Anderson gooseneck version because I wanted my bed to be clear when not using the hitch. I did not want to deal with rails. Also with the gooseneck option, I can easily buy and mont the Anderson hitch to it in the US.

Trademaster was fantastic! Here were the charges: All amounts in Canadian Dollars.

Parts
B&W Gooseneck $725.00
5th wheel wiring harness $105
Labor
Gooseneck install $411.73
Harness install $91.50
Total
$1333.23CN
= $998.60 US

Escape will want to know your bed length (minimum 5'6") and the hight of side rails before they build the trailer. They will adjust the pin arm accordingly. Also with the Anderson hitch, they charge $50.00 CN to attach the Anderson ball receiver to the trailer and ensure it works with your truck.

I hope this information is useful.
Interesting, I just got a quote from Trademasters to install the gooseneck mount for my Andersen Ultimate Hitch on a 2015 Ford F150 Supercrew with a 6.5 foot box; and it differs only in the cost of labor for the mount install {see below}:

B &W TURN OVER BALL - $725.00
INSTALL B&W GOOSENECK HITCH AND CUSTOMER
PROVIDED ANDERSEN ULTIMATE - $526.10
Estimate Total for INSTALL B&W GOOSENECK HITCH AN 1,251.10

OPTIONAL 7 PIN TRAILER PLUG IN THE BOX install for 5TH WHEEL WIRING HARNESS 10' on FORD = $105.00
EXTEND WIRING PACKAGE TO 5TH WHEEL OR TO
REAR OF TRUCK (PARTS EXTRA) - $91.50
Estimate Total for EXTEND WIRING PACKAGE TO 5TH W 196.50

Total for install gooseneck and in-bed wiring harness - $1347.60 Cdn

Wonder if the difference in price is due to a more difficult installation on Ford F150 as opposed to Toyota Tundra??
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Interesting, I just got a quote from Trademasters to install the gooseneck mount for my Andersen Ultimate Hitch on a 2015 Ford F150 Supercrew with a 6.5 foot box; and it differs only in the cost of labor for the mount install {see below}:

B &W TURN OVER BALL - $725.00
INSTALL B&W GOOSENECK HITCH AND CUSTOMER
PROVIDED ANDERSEN ULTIMATE - $526.10
Estimate Total for INSTALL B&W GOOSENECK HITCH AN 1,251.10

OPTIONAL 7 PIN TRAILER PLUG IN THE BOX install for 5TH WHEEL WIRING HARNESS 10' on FORD = $105.00
EXTEND WIRING PACKAGE TO 5TH WHEEL OR TO
REAR OF TRUCK (PARTS EXTRA) - $91.50
Estimate Total for EXTEND WIRING PACKAGE TO 5TH W 196.50

Total for install gooseneck and in-bed wiring harness - $1347.60 Cdn

Wonder if the difference in price is due to a more difficult installation on Ford F150 as opposed to Toyota Tundra??

There may be some difference between the Ford 150 and the Tundra, but I suspect part of it (looking at your quote) it is that they are installing the Anderson Ultimate for you. I only had them do the B&W Gooseneck. I can install the Andersen myself.

Another variable I didn't mention in my original post because it was unique to my situation and not applicable to the hitch install, is they replaced my muffler and tail pipe. I provided the parts and since on the Tundra they need to drop the tail pipe to install the B&W brackets to the frame, I had them replace the noisy after market "Tuned" muffler with a stock one. That was an additional $114.00 CN.

I bought my truck used. The prior owner liked to announce to the world he was coming down the road. When under tow, pulling a grade, the "Sexy" exhaust was so loud we could barley talk to each other in the cab. I'm 65. I want to preserve what little hearing I have left!!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:07 AM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I guess if you're willing to use only four of the six bolts on each side it will extend vertically.

There are two rows of three bolts on each side, and corresponding holes in the lower section. There appear to be three rows of three holes on each side on the upper section. That leaves two positions in which to assemble the pin box: higher (using the top and middle rows of holes on the upper section), and lower (using the middle and bottom rows of holes on the upper section). Two choices, allowing the user to set the pin box to extended or retracted positions... vertically, because the holes in each row are directly above or below the holes in the other rows.

Why would you use only four bolts? Are some of the holes not drilled?
I'm not suggesting using only one row of bolts per side - and that would be only three bolts per side anyway - but that would gain one more position (with the pin even lower), as Chotch mentioned. I'm sure that's not intended by Lippert, although one might guess that this 8-ton capacity pinbox would probably be more than strong enough for a 5.0TA even if assembled that way.

The old Atwood AB-34 had much more adjustment range, and so do some other Lippert models, but not this one.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:26 AM   #36

Quote:
Oops, I meant to say three of the six. You could get it lower, but I wouldn't. It's only meant to have two vertical positions, not three.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:37 AM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: arniesea... "EH"?... Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie "Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt".
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
My thanks to all for the helpful information in response to my questions. In the end I have followed Escape Artist’s advice and I have contracted with Trademaster to do the work. I spoke to them at some length yesterday – is there anybody on this earth as nice as Canadians? – and the rep said that they do not drill any holes in the frame, that the hitch ends up ”slightly” behind the axle, and he assured me “we do this all the time; everything will be fine”. Although my strong suspicion is that I could buy the right kit and have a local shop handle the install without a problem, I know I would spend the three weeks between now and my orientation agonizing about the possibility of a screw up of some sort. I’m sure that there are good and valid reasons to have an install adjusted rearward from its standard position, but I know that I am not competent to make that decision. Going with Trademasters means that I'll be a little poorer, but I'm going to sleep a lot better.

Again, thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and suggestions.

Rick
ChesapeakeRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #39

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
my thoughts exactly! We do this to have fun not agonize!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:48 PM   #40

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Having a 5th wheel hitch installed here at home and then driving to Chilliwack for pick up turned me off on the 5.0 model. Too many variables and if these were eliminated I would still have Trademasters do the work as they will make it right. Imagine driving out and not being able to hook up your new 5th wheel Escape. This is the reason why I switched my choice back to a bumper pull, no hidden surprises, been there, done this!
In that worst case scenario wouldn't you just drive over to Trademasters and have them fix you up? Either rails are installed properly or they aren't, it's not really guess work.

I think everyone should pick the trailer that works best for them, but many of the fears of the 5.0 TA are imagined. This is coming from a first time travel trailer puller and never before 5th wheel owner. I would recommend focussing on length, weight, and layout first. (or first, second and third)
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote