5th Wheel Hitch Installation - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #61

Trailer: escape 5.0ta
Anderson Hitch Installation Cost

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to have the Anderson hitch(rails version) installed for a chevy Colorado short bed? I got a quote from Trademasters but it seemed a bit high for me so I want to shop around. Curious what others have paid. I'll basically be driving across the entire u.s. to go pick up my 5.0 from Chilliwack so maybe there's a more reasonable place to stop by along the way.

Thanks!
soaring360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:34 PM   #62

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Do not forget that Trademaster's price is in canadian $ when you compare prices. Right ow that means about a 25% differential.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #63

Trailer: 2018 5.0
Dear Denver.
I am sure you have calculated the favorable Canadian to US exchange rate with Trademaster. If the quote is a little higher I personally would go with Trademaster because they are so knowledgeable about the need for Escape 5.0. I called them when I was getting my hitch Anderson installed and they were super helpful, even when they knew I was installing locally in NC. My local guy had never installed an Anderson/B&W gooseneck on a F150 shortbed and questioned if it could be done. Always installed on larger truck. Trademaster also knew the pluses. and minuses to consider between the rail install vs Gooseneck install. I probably would have gone with the rail if I had known about limitations of tailgate with Anderson gooseneck install. It would be worth a couple of 100 extra bucks for their knowledge and experience with Escape. They have a good partnership.
Cary4run00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:24 PM   #64

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by soaring360 View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations on where to have the Anderson hitch(rails version) installed for a chevy Colorado short bed? I got a quote from Trademasters but it seemed a bit high for me so I want to shop around. Curious what others have paid. I'll basically be driving across the entire u.s. to go pick up my 5.0 from Chilliwack so maybe there's a more reasonable place to stop by along the way.

Thanks!
You will be hard pressed to find anyone in the U.S. to do it. I installed my own rails and Anderson hitch into my 2018 Canyon. If you are unable to do yourself Trade Masters is your best bet as they have done many installs on Colorado/Canyon trucks.

Trade Masters know the Escape trailers inside and out and where to place the rails for your truck.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #65

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
you may be able to get a lead from a local rv dealer or repair shop.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #66

Yes I realize that, but nearly 1600 cad still seems high to me. The hitch and rails are probably half of that, and half is labor.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #67

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:

Thanks!
Hi: soaring360... I'm thinking Colorado+ short bed= more costly install, but that's only MHO. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:57 AM   #68

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Yes I realize that, but nearly 1600 cad still seems high to me. The hitch and rails are probably half of that, and half is labor.
🤔Think if you do your homework you’ll find the hitch, rails and safety chains are going to set you back about $1000 US. Not sure what the exchange rate is right now but that leaves you probably considerably less than $600 US for what is probably a custom install. Doesn’t seem unreasonable to me. I did my own install on my F150 which was straight forward, no drilling of frame or moving brake lines or anything like that. If I had to do another probably do it in 1\2 day. Now if I had to move hitch to something other than standard location a lot more work. If you are planning on going with turn over ball mount and aluminum Anderson hitch even more $$.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:34 PM   #69

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
$1600 CAD = around $1250 U.S.

If you find someone in U.S. that says they can do it cheaper. Just make sure they understand the truck you have is mid-size and it will be total custom install. Your cheaper quote could turn into much higher cost than what Trade Masters would charge.

Also, keep in mind Trade Masters has done many installs on the Colorado/Canyon. If you find someone in U.S. it might be the first time on Colorado/Canyon. Hate to see you arrive at ETI only to find your hitch was not installed correctly and then your only choice would be to go to Trade Masters to fix. Why not just go to the expert and know it will be done right the first time.

Universal frame brackets and rails are only option for the Colorado/Canyon. Unlike full-size trucks no one makes commercially available custom frame brackets for the Colorado/Canyon. Frame brackets connect the rails to the frame.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:38 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
$1600 CAD = around $1250 U.S.

If you find someone in U.S. that says they can do it cheaper. Just make sure they understand the truck you have is mid-size and it will be total custom install. Your cheaper quote could turn into much higher cost than what Trade Masters would charge.

Also, keep in mind Trade Masters has done many installs on the Colorado/Canyon. If you find someone in U.S. it might be the first time on Colorado/Canyon. Hate to see you arrive at ETI only to find your hitch was not installed correctly and then your only choice would be to go to Trade Masters to fix. Why not just go to the expert and know it will be done right the first time.

Universal frame brackets and rails are only option for the Colorado/Canyon. Unlike full-size trucks no one makes commercially available custom frame brackets for the Colorado/Canyon. Frame brackets connect the rails to the frame.

Very convincing, thank you! I no longer feel like I'm being ripped off, that's what I was looking for
Old 06-28-2019, 02:04 PM   #71

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Speaking of frame brackets, when ordered our B&W Patriot for our first 5.0 they couldn't use the brackets which came with the "universal" rails for our 2010 F-150. Neither could they use them for the 2015 F-150 we bought for which I had to order new rails. I have a nice useless collection of brackets now in the garage. Well next to useless have used them for weights

If we were buying new and needed to get hitch installed I'd use Trademasters. My first go round using the local RV dealer was a bit of a disaster, expensive and not done correctly.
emers382 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:22 PM   #72

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Do not forget that Trademaster's price is in canadian $ when you compare prices. Right ow that means about a 25% differential.
As of July 4, 2019, multiply CAD by .7663 to get the equivalent USD.

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote