A clunk when i accelerate - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #21

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Clunk

I put the weld strip on every stinger so I don't have the noise at any time. Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 02:59 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I was told several years ago that any looseness between stinger and receiver should be dampened or eliminated. Is that the case?
If it is just a little fore-and-aft shifting (and not enough to damage anything), it seems like just an annoyance rather than a safety or reliability concern to me.

If something is being hammered out of shape - such as the pin hole in the receiver - then I would want to fix that.

If it's vertical slop, so there is some movement when load comes entirely off of the ball over bumps, then I would want to fix the loading and stability of the trailer so this doesn't happen even if the connection is a bit sloppy.

A potential problem is sloppiness side-to-side, because that can contribute to sway.

So, I don't think there is a single tidy answer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:38 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I was talking to some friends from Minnesota who left their stinger in over winter and drove through a lot of salt slush. That welded it in. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
That noise usually means to me I don't have the ball secured in the trailer latch. If I hear that following hitching-up I release the latch and inch the ball forward to make sure it's pulled as far forward from the trailer as possible. Then I re-seat the latch and the noise goes away. I don't have to do this every time hook-up, only when the thud tells me something is amiss.
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:39 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Gary,
Are you saying that the ball is not properly seated inside the trailer coupler and you reseat it properly?
Old 03-14-2016, 03:47 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Yes. I have a 19. I anticipate there is enough tongue weight to keep the trailer from popping up. I release the clasp, pull forward ever so slightly, slowly to make sure the ball is all the way forward, and the coupler is all the way down. Then I lock the clasp and don't hear, nor feel, the thump again. Sometimes, I hitch up and don't hear/feel the thump. Then I pat myself on the back and go forward as all is well.
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote