A comfortable tow... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2019, 10:12 AM   #21

Trailer: ?
The new Honda Passport looks like an interesting option for the weight you will be towing.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I'm still suspicious of the CVT but may go that way- since I'm well under 5000 lbs it probably would be just fine.
I get your concern. However, the models with towing package also have an 8-speed manual mode on the CVT with paddle shifters. This tells me they have designed this tranny for towing. I think it is worth a test drive.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:23 PM   #23

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Equal towing capacity, I'd look to which had longer/wider wheel base.
Hmmmm - I don't have a lot of towing experience, but generally like the smaller turning radius os shorter wheelbases... and with a shorter than longer trailer, seems this would be handy(?)
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:11 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post
Hmmmm - I don't have a lot of towing experience, but generally like the smaller turning radius os shorter wheelbases... and with a shorter than longer trailer, seems this would be handy(?)
A longer wheelbase is always safer for towing, with more stability and less chance of sway. If I had two equal tow rated vehicles I was deciding between, I'd go with the longer wheelbase.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The application of a properly installed Weight distributing hitch and judicious adjustment of the tensioning bars, chains or whatever is one way to limit sway effectively. Given a comparison of a long wheelbase with no WDH and an adequately rated tow vehicle with a WDH I prefer the latter. YMMV.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #26

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
The best choice would be go with both.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
The best choice would be go with both.
I agree, made no sense that you'd have a WDH on a same rated vehicle and use it on one choice but not the other.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:59 PM   #28

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
The new Honda Passport looks like an interesting option for the weight you will be towing.
It is. Omits some of what I don't like about the Pilot and other 7-8 passenger suvs and has a ton of cargo space. Definitely on the list.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriH View Post
We are going with the Highlander for our next tow vehicle for all the reasons Iowa Dave noted!
I’m glad that my running buddy Bill introduced us at the rally. We’re convinced!
So, Iowa Dave is now running? That must be new.....!!
Old 06-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #30

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
A longer wheelbase is always safer for towing, with more stability and less chance of sway. If I had two equal tow rated vehicles I was deciding between, I'd go with the longer wheelbase.
Thanks
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:10 PM   #31

New Rally event

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So, Iowa Dave is now running? That must be new.....!!
Hey Jim
How about a new comedy event for rallies? 50 yard dash for big guys with bad knees? Each contestant puts his favorite bottle of beer at the finish line and winner takes all! Then we sell the video. No I’m not running. except for President of the United States along with many others.
Iowa where’s my defibrillator? Dave
Old 06-08-2019, 08:11 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
One of the great parts of being retired is I no longer need a 'daily driver.' More of a 'grocery getter.' My 2014 F-150 right now has a bit less than 45,000 on the odometer. Would be 10,000 less if it weren't for my Big Trip last summer. For YEARS I owned a vehicle as my daily driver because I was working. NOW it's about comfort while driving. And FOR ME, it's not about MPG but how I physically feel at the destination. If I'm towing Ten Forward, we'll get there... eventually. I'll never buy a vehicle strictly for towing, but those 'other' times. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #33

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
The climate control, seat adjustments, lumbar support, comfort of the “leather”, adjustability of steering wheel , internal ability to adjust mirrors, lane drift alert, passing traffic alert on rear view mirrors all combine for comfort in the saddle for extended driving.
The thing I 'gave up' with the 4 Runner was the lane alert and passing alert (both basically the same function) We have that on our 2017 Mazda CX-5. Cool feature. Why these features have not been incorporated into the 5th Gen 4 Runners is a mystery.
Quote:
Our 21 weighed 4380 loaded for that trip. The Highlander pulled the passes at my steady speed of 62 mph. Iowa Dave
Then you did better than us. There were a few passes where I was lugging along in 4th gear 3/4 of the way of an assent doing 55 mph. One in particular heading toward Osoyoos. I was playing it 'safe' however in the beginning of the trip keeping the speed limit to no more than 60 mph. By the time we got into Iowa I was emboldened enough to bring it on up to 68-70 mph without ill effect. We were also in fear for our lives which may have been a motivating factor in increasing our speed. LOL. We skirted tornadoes warnings/sightings in Des Moines, Davenport, Peoria, and Dayton, IL. The one in Dayton made the national news. It crossed over just behind us while we ducked for cover under an overpass.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:00 AM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
It crossed over just behind us while we ducked for cover under an overpass.

This is what NOAA says about that:
In a car or truck: Vehicles are extremely risky in a tornado. There is no safe option when caught in a tornado in a car, just slightly less-dangerous ones. If the tornado is visible, far away, and the traffic is light, you may be able to drive out of its path by moving at right angles to the tornado. Seek shelter in a sturdy building, or underground if possible. If you are caught by extreme winds or flying debris, park the car as quickly and safely as possible -- out of the traffic lanes. Stay in the car with the seat belt on. Put your head down below the windows; cover your head with your hands and a blanket, coat, or other cushion if possible. If you can safely get noticeably lower than the level of the roadway,leave your car and lie in that area, covering your head with your hands. Avoid seeking shelter under bridges, which can create deadly traffic hazards while offering little protection against flying debris.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #35

I’ve driven my “route” to Osoyoos/Chilliwack about a half a dozen times in the last 5 years in addition we’ve made many trips West over the past 50 years. Familiarity with the roads, preview of the challenges of the next day the night before and not minding winding up the engine on both the ascent and descent keeps us making our goals each day. We usually roll pretty good on the way out and put in some longer days. More leisurely on the way back. We always watch the weather, assess the condition of big trees in the campgrounds, and take frequent fuel, walk the dog breaks and usually eat lunch in the Escape or on a rest stop picnic table with a table cloth. Works for us.
If you ever drive highway 12 in north central Idaho from Kooskia to the Lolo pass. You ought to make about 35 miles an hour because you’ll be stopping every 10 minutes to photograph the Middle-fork of the Clearwater and the Lochsa. Not to mention taking a side trip up the Selway. One of the 6 instant Wild Rivers so designates in 1964.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
CDF1908F-93EC-4465-8F3C-4B06A39C09D7.jpg   9ACBF07A-1666-4C38-8DBB-A2EF0A8AE939.jpg   A170A390-5F61-4154-9256-02B338C29D15.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
In a car or truck: Vehicles are extremely risky in a tornado. There is no safe option when caught in a tornado in a car, just slightly less-dangerous ones. If the tornado is visible, far away, and the traffic is light, you may be able to drive out of its path by moving at right angles to the tornado. Seek shelter in a sturdy building, or underground if possible. If you are caught by extreme winds or flying debris, park the car as quickly and safely as possible -- out of the traffic lanes. Stay in the car with the seat belt on. Put your head down below the windows; cover your head with your hands and a blanket, coat, or other cushion if possible. If you can safely get noticeably lower than the level of the roadway,leave your car and lie in that area, covering your head with your hands. Avoid seeking shelter under bridges, which can create deadly traffic hazards while offering little protection against flying debris.
Hi: gbaglo... Ha!!! They don't know I live with "The White Tornado". There's always "Flying debris" to duck TOO. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #37

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
In a car or truck: Vehicles are extremely risky in a tornado. There is no safe option when caught in a tornado in a car, just slightly less-dangerous ones. If the tornado is visible, far away, and the traffic is light, you may be able to drive out of its path by moving at right angles to the tornado. Seek shelter in a sturdy building, or underground if possible.

Seeking shelter didn't seem to be an option at 10 pm. Tucking 'safely' underneath an overpass turned out to be as much if not more hazardous a situation than the prospect of landing in Oz. 18 wheelers were whizzing by at 70-80 mph. The thought of getting rear ended by one of those truck drivers hopped up on Meth because of a lack of sleep changed our minds in a hurry. We chose to run the gauntlet rather than be sitting ducks.

My father back in the early 70's told me that tornadoes go after mobile home parks. That there is something about mobile home parks they are attracted too. I think he was right. Back when I was in graduate school in Gainesville, FL a tornado touched down in Alachua. It made a bee line for a mobile home park and took part of it out. Then it skipped over I-75 and attacked another mobile home park wreaking havoc. Finally as a parting shot it skirted all of the north west quadrant of Gainesville where ripe for the taking were several gated communities and other tempting infrastructure. Yep. Gave up the good stuff and Jumped another mobile home park.

So we figured our chances were good that this tornado or the others that were reputed to be roaming about had bigger fish to fry beside our tow vehicle and Escape.

The National Weather Service (which is still fully funded...) reported 15 tornadoes touched down in the Dayton area during that time frame.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:16 AM   #38

Ducking

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: gbaglo... Ha!!! They don't know I live with "The White Tornado". There's always "Flying debris" to duck TOO. Alf
Have you ever been so out of line that you had to duck a flying frying pan? I’m in that club.
Let me tell you the story about the flying paint brush one time.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always carry a weather radio and now weather alert on my phone, the radar shows where the storms are located and I head opposite or try to out run where possible at a high rate of speed. Rain or snow however makes me slow down to a crawl or ends up stopping me at a rest stop.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Have you ever been so out of line that you had to duck a flying frying pan? I’m in that club.
Let me tell you the story about the flying paint brush one time.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Had an instructor in art school who used to go red with anger and hurl the closest thing at hand... usually the piece of drawing charcoal. We never ducked in his class!!! p.s. I see you and the dog finally got up!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote