A comfortable tow... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2019, 02:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
A comfortable tow...

When you compare two vehicles of equal towing capacity, what would make one better than the other for ease of towing? Overall vehicle weight? HP? Shocks?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
When you compare two vehicles of equal towing capacity, what would make one better than the other for ease of towing? Overall vehicle weight? HP? Shocks?
Color. Truly. I could buy the best, cheapest, highest rated tug and if I hated the color, I'd hate the tug.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Color. Truly. I could buy the best, cheapest, highest rated tug and if I hated the color, I'd hate the tug.
Me, too, that's a high priority! Especially since I already changed the belly band trim to red. But it doesn't do a lot to cushion the ride. So let's say the two vehicles have equal towing capacity AND are both the same preferred color.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Me, too, that's a high priority! Especially since I already changed the belly band trim to red. But it doesn't do a lot to cushion the ride. So let's say the two vehicles have equal towing capacity AND are both the same preferred color.
Hi: Bobbie54... The RIDE!!! I finally figured that out. If you're not comfortable... what a bad trip you're on. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Bobbie54... The RIDE!!! I finally figured that out. If you're not comfortable... what a bad trip you're on. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
That's what I'm asking. What makes one ride better than the other? Heavier vehicle? Better ride without a trailer attached to start with? Stiffer without the trailer? I can't test drive with a trailer in tow.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:50 PM   #6

Trailer: ?
Would you prefer an SUV or a pickup truck?
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Equal towing capacity, I'd look to which had longer/wider wheel base.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Would you prefer an SUV or a pickup truck?
SUV. Though a Ridgeline might be in the running. It has to be my daily driver, too.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Equal towing capacity, I'd look to which had longer/wider wheel base.
Thanks, that's the kind of thing I want to know.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:24 PM   #10

Quote:
SUV. Though a Ridgeline might be in the running. It has to be my daily driver, too.
What size SUV. Large like a Ford Expedition/ Chevy Tahoe or mid-sized?
Old 06-07-2019, 05:06 PM   #11

No. Ideally, nothing bigger than I have now, but one of my concerns is would another smaller mid-sized SUV just have the same kind of ride even with an increased tow rating? I'm looking at things from Forester-sized up to about Pilot-sized, nothing bigger (and I think the Pilot is too big or at least too wide.) But I also don't want to end up with just a higher capacity on paper and no better towing experience. That's why I'm asking- what makes it better? I assume a bigger, heavier vehicle is going to feel the trailer less, but how much makes a difference and how much of a difference? I've pulled behind a Toyota Tundra but I already didn't like the ride in that vehicle-although the trailer didn't change it much that I recall.

If I could test-drive the options with my trailer behind them, this would be easy.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #12

We are in a campground now. What just pulled in was a Porsche Cayenne towing an Airstream.

Ever consider a Cayenne ? 7,716# towing capacity.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Two of my top priorities when choosing a tow vehicle are ride comfort and braking ability
Color is far down my list of priorities because it has no affect on the mechanical operation of the vehicle . My last 3 new trucks were red , gray and white because the trucks had the options I wanted at the price I was willing to pay and were available
When they start making a vehicle where a certain color gets better fuel mileage then it might become a factor in my decision .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:26 PM   #14

We went through the same decision making process last year that you’re going through now. Like you we are a one vehicle family and eliminated pickup trucks for our reasons.

In addition, I didn’t want to buy a vehicle that was rated to tow at 5,000#. To make such a choice would foreclose too many trailer choices; both now and in the future. I’ve also read that towing at, or near, a vehicles rated capacity stresses the drivetrain and potentially creates safety issues.

Like you will fine, our choice was a compromise of capabilities, desired features (I insisted on having all of the modern driver assist/safety features), daily use, etc. Of the total vehicle use, I suspect that towing represents perhaps 10% so, for us, we were focused on a daily driver that could also meet our towing needs.

Our compromise choice was a Jeep Grand Cherokee with 6,200# towing capacity.

Enjoy the search.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The climate control, seat adjustments, lumbar support, comfort of the “leather”, adjustability of steering wheel , internal ability to adjust mirrors, lane drift alert, passing traffic alert on rear view mirrors all combine for comfort in the saddle for extended driving. If your butt hurts - all the horsepower, gears and other features don’t matter. Again, the Toyota Highlander does the job for us and our 4180 miles to Osoyoos for the Rally was enjoyable even on days where we made 530, 530, and 565 miles on three consecutive days to arrive on Wednesday.
Our 21 weighed 4380 loaded for that trip. The Highlander pulled the passes at my steady speed of 62 mph. Headwinds and tailwinds make huge differences in mileage and some tanks of gas, all purported to be 87 octane vary in quality. Straight unleaded will outperform 10% ethanol blends in my experience. YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 06-07-2019, 08:42 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
We are going with the Highlander for our next tow vehicle for all the reasons Iowa Dave noted!
I’m glad that my running buddy Bill introduced us at the rally. We’re convinced!
LoriH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Motor got cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriH View Post
We are going with the Highlander for our next tow vehicle for all the reasons Iowa Dave noted!
I’m glad that my running buddy Bill introduced us at the rally. We’re convinced!
Hi Lori,
We got back to Iowa on Sunday and after two days here Rita decided to go visit our daughter in Fort Wayne. I stayed home with two dogs. Then she calls me today to let me know the Air Force Thunderbirds are in Fort Wayne tomorrow and they’ll have seats in an air
conditioned building. And she bought a dozen chickens. Life is a roller coaster. Let us know when you’re coming to Iowa. Glad to hear you’re getting a Highlander. We’ve had great experience with both of ours.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Hi Bobbie,

My experience towing is with trucks so I have to rely on research for SUVs.

The Subaru Ascent just topped the Consumer reports ratings at 96 points for mid-sized SUVs. The Highlander topped the ratings for many years and is still showing well at 85 points.

Ascent:
“On the road and around town, ride quality was impressive, and the seats were seriously comfortable.”
– Motor Trend

The the Ascent is rated at 5000 lbs for towing, well within your needs for a 15.

The thing that the Highlander, the Ridgeline and the Ascent all have in common for ride quality is 4 wheel independent suspension. Unlike the solid rear axels on most trucks which gives a stiffer ride.

Hope this helps.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Hi Bobbie,

My experience towing is with trucks so I have to rely on research for SUVs.

The Subaru Ascent just topped the Consumer reports ratings at 96 points for mid-sized SUVs. The Highlander topped the ratings for many years and is still showing well at 85 points.

Ascent:
“On the road and around town, ride quality was impressive, and the seats were seriously comfortable.”
– Motor Trend

The the Ascent is rated at 5000 lbs for towing, well within your needs for a 15.

The thing that the Highlander, the Ridgeline and the Ascent all have in common for ride quality is 4 wheel independent suspension. Unlike the solid rear axels on most trucks which gives a stiffer ride.

Hope this helps.
I'm still suspicious of the CVT but may go that way- since I'm well under 5000 lbs it probably would be just fine.

But as far as comfort- most cars will feel comfortable to drive if there is a good seat and enough head and legroom. I just want to know the role weight, length, etc, play in making the trailer feel easier to tow. I'd guess the bigger (heavier) you go the less you notice the trailer. But it can't be just that- the weight ratio for my Subaru to my 15 vs. Dave's Highlander and his 21 can't be too far different. Same for size. HP- I'm way down there and that may be the biggest factor for the Forester but the ones towing 3500 should have it.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:01 AM   #20

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If there was a way to tell if a seat was going to be comfortable after sitting in it for 8 hours I''d use that rating to choose. Better still would be to see if it was still a comfortable seat after 80000 miles.