A hiccup with new F150's - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #1

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
A hiccup with new F150's

From CNN this morning...

Ford could halt production of the F-150, its bestselling and most profitable vehicle, following a fire at a supplier's plant in Michigan last week.
Ford has already shut down truck production in a Kansas City plant, and it could shut its Dearborn, Michigan, truck plant either today or Thursday, according to a letter sent by a UAW official to union members. These are the only two plants that build the F-150.

The shutdowns could last for several weeks, according to a person familiar with the situation, although plans are in flux as Ford seeks an alternative supply of the missing parts. Even one missing part from a supply chain is enough to halt production of a vehicle.

Ford has about an 84-day supply of the F-Series truck in dealers' inventories, according to the company. That's enough that there won't be any shortages in the near term.

But if the shutdown lasts a month, buyers will probably discover the version of the truck they want - the type of engine, or the type of cab configuration or trim - won't be available. Those shortages are typical when vehicle inventory falls below 50 days.

"It's a very fluid situation," said spokesperson Kelli Felker. "We're working very closely with suppliers to resolve the issue and determine our next steps."

The fire was at the Meridian Magnesium Products of America plant in Eaton Rapids, Michigan, on May 2. The plant supplies other automakers as well, but so far only one ---- Fiat Chrysler ---- has reported it was forced to shut some production.

Fiat Chrysler (FCAU) confirmed it had to stop production of the Pacifica SUV at its plant in Windsor, Ontario, as a result of the supply disruption. But that plant continues to build the Dodge Grand Caravan minivan, which was not impacted. The Pacifica is a popular model for Fiat Chrysler, but far from its best seller.

However the F-150 has been the best selling US vehicle by any manufacturer for more than 40 years. It's a key profit generator for Ford.

Ford (F) has sold 287,000 F Series trucks in the United States in the first four months of this year, up 4% compared to a year ago. That includes some larger trucks than the F-150, although the F-150 makes up the overwhelming majority of those sales. It also is more than four times the sales of its second best selling vehicle, the Escape SUV.

7,600 workers build F-150 trucks at the two plants. They will get most of but not all of their pay during the temporary layoff.
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
No, not Kansas City I should have ordered while the ordering was good.

What I want wasn't available in any inventory and I'll have to get a factory order. Oh well, good thing that I'm not in a hurry.

My wife loves them but I'm still a bit ambivalent, to me the perfect tow vehicle would be dropping a 2.7 with a 10 speed in my Ranger.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0011 (2)_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #3

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
to me the perfect tow vehicle would be dropping a 2.7 with a 10 speed in my Ranger.

Ron

That would be fun to drive!
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
My wife loves them but I'm still a bit ambivalent, to me the perfect tow vehicle would be dropping a 2.7 with a 10 speed in my Ranger.

Ron
Drive one for awhile Ron. I loved my Ranger but there's truly no comparison in terms of comfort, ride, noise, room, etc. Methinks a few hours behind the wheel will make the ambivelance fade.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #5

I don't think a ranger would have anywhere near the towability of any F150, no matter the engine size. Even new F150's tow capacity is based on a wide number of things, including the type steel used in the frame.

We're looking for a late model one next year with the 3.5 Ecoboost. They have the most tow capacity (even more than Ford's V-8), properly equipped.

Best of luck to you folks!

Frank
Old 05-09-2018, 12:24 PM   #6

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
F150

Our son and I towed a loaded car trailer to LA and it sure did drive/ride nice.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0638.jpg  
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Maybe it’s just me but at 6 ft 2” and the far side of 200 lbs , along with arthritic hips and knees , I find it uncomfortable to down right painful to get in ,out of or ride in a small truck or vehicle
We looked at the Ranger and the Colorado and although they are nice vehicles they don’t work for us . When we go camping , the first thing I want to do when we get to our destination is to have a cold beverage and not down a half dozen aspirin.
I’ve never understood the fascination with small vehicles but to each their own .
I may spend a little more for fuel but at this point in my life I don’t care .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Maybe it’s just me but at 6 ft 2” and the far side of 200 lbs , along with arthritic hips and knees , I find it uncomfortable to down right painful to get in ,out of or ride in a small truck or vehicle
We looked at the Ranger and the Colorado and although they are nice vehicles they don’t work for us . When we go camping , the first thing I want to do when we get to our destination is to have a cold beverage and not down a half dozen aspirin.
I’ve never understood the fascination with small vehicles but to each their own .
I may spend a little more for fuel but at this point in my life I don’t care .
I could not have said it any better Steve, thank you sir.

I am also concerned with tow capacity, tow vehicle load and any of a number of other things that most any full size truck will give you. I want a truck with at least twice the tow capacity of a towed RV of any kind, or boat, or car trailer, you name it. After towing stuff for decades, that's just me!

Frank
Old 05-09-2018, 12:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I don't think a ranger would have anywhere near the towability of any F150, no matter the engine size.

Frank
Well, if my heavily loaded Ranger hadn't pulled my 19 to Alaska, Baja twice and across Canada and the US I might be able to agree with you. With a 2.7 and a 10 speed it would be my dream tug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post

Yup, to each our own. I view the increase in size of pickups with disdain. To me the current offerings, including the so called mid-size, are bloated and oversize. I'd rather have an old F 100 size p/u. I mean, really, having to have a ladder to reach or get into the box.

But then I drive a 1260 lb. car so I do tend to like vehicles on the smaller and more nimble end of the spectrum.

Ron
Old 05-09-2018, 01:12 PM   #10

Quote:
[COLOR="Blue"]Well, if my heavily loaded Ranger hadn't pulled my 19 to Alaska, Baja twice and across Canada and the US I might be able to agree with you. With a 2.7 and a 10 speed it would be my dream tug.

Ron
I've been watching people pull too much for what their tow vehicle is capable of for way too long to worry about what others think of my "bigger is better" thing. I've seen folks with big boats back into boat ramps and not get the boat back out later. "Gee, just bought the boat, don't understand!" I have followed plenty of rigs downshifting and pushing rpms to get up the hill, or mountain, or whatever.

Ain't for me, but like you say, to each their own.

Frank
Old 05-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes there is not big enough or unsafe that is not what most of us are talking about on this forum - what most of us have is an appropriate tow that is safely within the manufacturers recommendations. Some want much more tow capacity because they may want to do more then the average person more in the bed of their truck or haul more toys when they camp so they want a lot more tow capacity- i understand that but for me my 2.7 150 is more then enough to haul my 5.0 over mountains etc... and my Toyota Highlander was more then was needed to tow my 17. But everyone is different.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I have followed plenty of rigs downshifting and pushing rpms to get up the hill, or mountain, or whatever.

Ain't for me, but like you say, to each their own.

Frank
Isn't that why vehicles have lower gears, and red-lines?
Old 05-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
My F150 has no red line, had to look up the Dyno readout.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
My F150 rarely sees 3000 rpms, never gets close to red line.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:35 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
My F150 rarely sees 3000 rpms, never gets close to red line.
Not using it to full potential then.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:04 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Too bad Chevy hasn’t gotten their half ton I6 diesel in production yet...
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:19 PM   #17

While we're on too bad's, it's too bad that the new Ranger isn't yet available and too bad when it is it won't be with the 2.7 and a 10 speed.

Ron
Old 05-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #18

Trailer: None now
Quote:
While we're on too bad's, it's too bad that the new Ranger isn't yet available and too bad when it is it won't be with the 2.7 and a 10 speed.

Ron
Just wait a few years and buy a wrecked F10 and slip the motor and tranny and electronics needed into the carcass of a Ranger.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I could not have said it any better Steve, thank you sir.

I am also concerned with tow capacity, tow vehicle load and any of a number of other things that most any full size truck will give you. I want a truck with at least twice the tow capacity of a towed RV of any kind, or boat, or car trailer, you name it. After towing stuff for decades, that's just me!

Frank
I have heard similar before, but usually more like at 75%, but do not subscribe to this thinking.

I tow a trailer of some sort pretty much daily, including my dump trailer which has been getting near the maximum tow capacity many times towing with my F-150, and have never had an issue. I have towed with a tractor/trailer combo down to a small utility trailer. Never, ever, would I assume to want a trailer with at least twice the towing capacity of what I am towing. That is an unnecessary waste. While it can be nice to have a bit extra power if you wish to take steep grades above the posted speed, or pass someone quickly on a two lane highway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Just wait a few years and buy a wrecked F10 and slip the motor and tranny and electronics needed into the carcass of a Ranger.
A couple of problems with doing that. I would want it sooner than later and my current Ranger has relatively low miles and it wouldn't justify using it for a transplant.

As for slipping the electronics in, well, been there done that. In the old days you could throw another engine in, give it gas to the carbs and 12V to the distributor and it was fire in the hole. Now, not so much.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
19-07-2009 8-36-54 PM_0001_resize.JPG   19-07-2009 8-37-31 PM_0002_resize.JPG