A Little Worried - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2016, 07:12 AM   #21

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
Hi Julie,
I just got back from my 1st trip in my new 21' towed by '16 Ford F150 with 2.7L Ecoboost engine. I can say I'm well pleased with both. I've owned the truck since Dec. 15. Great engine; mpg combined 21.5, towing 14.5 and that's in hilly TN country. It is very comfortable, stable-no WDH needed, and has great pick-up. I traded my SuperDuty in on the F150 when I decided to "down size" campers and vehicles and have been more than pleased with its performance. I highly recommend it.

titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:38 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop", sold Coleman pop up
So with the Tacoma or the Durango are you towing the 21' with a weight distributing hitch? And do most folks feel that the WDH is not needed when towing with a F-150 Supercrew? I will be towing a 21' with a Silverado Crewcab 4WD and am back and forth on a WDH.

casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #23

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21
Wdh

I have not towed with the Durango, but the Jeep is nearly the same and I used a WDH for both the 19 and the 21. The hitch stabilizes the complete package at all times and I wouldn't tow without it unless the trailer was very light. I did go with our son to LA and back to PHX towing 3000# single axle trailer behind his 150 with 2.7 engine, no WDH and it drove well but we kept the speed down to 65 or so.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
So with the Tacoma or the Durango are you towing the 21' with a weight distributing hitch? And do most folks feel that the WDH is not needed when towing with a F-150 Supercrew? I will be towing a 21' with a Silverado Crewcab 4WD and am back and forth on a WDH.
I had similar experiences as many, in that there are some situations where the wdh is by no means required, but adds confidence to the towing situation.

I think a Silverado is more than adequate to tow a 21 without the wdh, but you would probably notice the effect of using one. Whether or not it is worth the extra cost and labor is probably a personal preference.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 "Early" Escape 21, pulled by 2008 Silverado
MyronL on this forum answered a similar question in a private message to me.
He pulls a 19 without WDH or sway control and has had no problems. His advice was "first see how the trailer handles and feels towing without the WDH and if you think it should be better, then go for it"
I have a 2008 4WD Silverado, 5.3 V8 and 3.73 axle ratio. I am going to pick up a 21 foot Escape in January and follow MyronL's advice.
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:47 AM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstyer View Post
MyronL on this forum answered a similar question in a private message to me.
He pulls a 19 without WDH or sway control and has had no problems. His advice was "first see how the trailer handles and feels towing without the WDH and if you think it should be better, then go for it"
I have a 2008 4WD Silverado, 5.3 V8 and 3.73 axle ratio. I am going to pick up a 21 foot Escape in January and follow MyronL's advice.
This is exactly my plan. We will be pulling our 19 with a 2013 Pathfinder. Will start out with nothing and go from there.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
A WDH is not something you may always need for tow capacity. With any vehicle that allows you to use one it will give you a smoother ride. On a vehicle with a 5000/7000 capacity pulling a 3500/4500 lb trailer it will give you a much smoother ride.

I pull a 19' with a 2016 Tundra (10,000 capacity) and use a WDH. Truck is over kill for the trailer but the WDH just smooths out the ride and stops any porpoising between the trailer and truck at interstate speeds and gives a much smoother more relaxing ride.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:26 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
A WDH is not something you may always need for tow capacity. With any vehicle that allows you to use one it will give you a smoother ride. On a vehicle with a 5000/7000 capacity pulling a 3500/4500 lb trailer it will give you a much smoother ride.

I pull a 19' with a 2016 Tundra (10,000 capacity) and use a WDH. Truck is over kill for the trailer but the WDH just smooths out the ride and stops any porpoising between the trailer and truck at interstate speeds and gives a much smoother more relaxing ride.
I agree. The thing that I wonder about is advising newbies that it's "OK" to tow without one. If they do that and then say, "Yes, it tows OK so I guess I don't need a WDH" they never have an opportunity to see the difference. "OK" is one thing, a smoother ride is another.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:22 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
And then, there's me: I tow my 19 with a Silverado 1500 rated at 9600 pounds I think, but I cannot imagine the ride I get being any smoother, no WDH.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:23 PM   #30

Trailer: 19 delivery Apr 2017
Well an interesting thread. We will be towing our 19 (which we pick up next April) with a Nissan Xterra rated at 5000lbs towing capacity. Whether we get a WDH is a question we'll have to answer.

BTW, we recently test drove the diesel Chevy Colorado, which had a very nice ride and excellent towing specs. For anyone considering a new tow vehicle, make sure you put that on your list of candidates...

chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote