Adaptive Cruise Control while towing? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
From what I was told by my local Ford dealership, if you have the Ford trailer brake controller and ACC, the trailer brakes will be applied when the ACC applies the vehicles brakes. I still didn't opt for ACC......rather expensive.

"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21 due 4/15/17 2016 Highlander XLE (previously 17B "Blue")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The only thing I don't like about maintaining this safe distance, is the A-holes who feel that they must cut into the gap I leave.
My least favorite thing about driving in city traffic.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I doubt if the ACC can compensate for the added weight towing as well as the lack of trailer brakes while slowing you down.
If the cruise control actually applies the brakes, it should turn on the stop lamps (brake lights), and so your trailer brakes (which all Escapes have) will be active.

If slowing by just reducing power, I think most vehicles will decelerate more sharply when towing a barn-door sized anchor than without it... unless perhaps going downhill.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
Quote:
The only thing I don't like about maintaining this safe distance, is the A-holes who feel that they must cut into the gap I leave.
An AARP Safe Driver instructor suggested that we calculate how much those idiots actually slow us down a dozen crowding into a 5 second gap slow me by no more than 1 minute, which usually doesn't really matter to me. Of course, I'm not always successful in talking reason to my emotions.

Art
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art M. View Post
An AARP Safe Driver instructor suggested that we calculate how much those idiots actually slow us down – a dozen crowding into a 5 second gap slow me by no more than 1 minute, which usually doesn't really matter to me.
It isn't just the bit of time we are pushed back; it's the loss of safe separation, until you have time to re-establish enough space. Adaptive cruise control would automatically restore the amount of space for which it is set, but it still takes time during which you are too close.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape(d)
I like it on the interstates

I also had a Jeep Grand Cherokee (assassinated last week by an oncoming tire which fell off a trailer going the other way, but that is another story).

I didn't use the ACC to avoid watching the traffic in front of me rather to avoid having to constantly override the cruise control because the vehicle in front of wasn't using THEIR cruise control and varied their speed by 10 MPH or so. Also, cruise control is much better than me to remember not to exceed my target speed.
Living in Idaho, it is often 100 miles or more between towns and my foot tends to get heavier.

That said, I too would like to be able to set the following distance to more than the Jeep currently allows.
Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:56 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
After another 10k miles of towing, I really like the adaptive cruise control. I now tweak the speed so that I'm several car lengths behind the other car, which works best if they are also using cruise control, or are unusually skilled in maintaining a constant speed. It then partially protects me against momentary lapses in my attention that coincide with the car ahead slowing.
Art

Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote