Added RAS suspension to my truck. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2020, 06:36 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I hate "porpoising" and once it starts I switch traffic lanes. I find the passing lane has less of the "P" than the well worn out right lane has. I like to tow at night and after 2 am the traffic is light, mainly trucks who normally stay in the right lanes.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:58 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I hate "porpoising" and once it starts I switch traffic lanes. I find the passing lane has less of the "P" than the well worn out right lane has. I like to tow at night and after 2 am the traffic is light, mainly trucks who normally stay in the right lanes.
Our first trips were mainly non freeway roads and we never noticed it. It has happened a few times but only on freeways and usually lasted for stretches of 10 - 20 miles or so. Yes, the left lane is better.
Hopefully we'll get out this year, I am anxious to see if this improves.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #23
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
So I wanted to post a follow up to my prior thread after a 3,000 mile trip to Colorado and back to Washington.
I'll be picking up our 21NE in about 3 weeks, and I've been wandering through various options to enhance the ride/leveling of my truck/trailer combination. Lo and behold, your "RAS" thread caught my attention right away, since I've gone back and forth between RAS or airbags.

Add the fact that you've installed the RAS on a Tundra Crewmax (basically the same as my 2015). I can certainly appreciate the desire to have the RAS on a 5th wheel setup, but having hauled trailers on a rear hitch for years, I think the physics of a tow behind almost demands the RAS system.

Your original and followup report has convinced me (and others that have experience with the RAS system) that this is a better option than airbags. Now to go shopping...
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
I'll be picking up our 21NE in about 3 weeks, and I've been wandering through various options to enhance the ride/leveling of my truck/trailer combination. Lo and behold, your "RAS" thread caught my attention right away, since I've gone back and forth between RAS or airbags.

Add the fact that you've installed the RAS on a Tundra Crewmax (basically the same as my 2015). I can certainly appreciate the desire to have the RAS on a 5th wheel setup, but having hauled trailers on a rear hitch for years, I think the physics of a tow behind almost demands the RAS system.

Your original and followup report has convinced me (and others that have experience with the RAS system) that this is a better option than airbags. Now to go shopping...
Congratulations on your new Escape!!

Actually the physics of a tow behind are quite different than a 5th wheel. I have had both.

You don't say if you are planning on using a Weight Distribution Hitch. For a tow behind, I think a WDH is more important that load leveling suspension solutions. A good WDH like the E2 will not only level both the trailer and the truck, but provide anti sway protection as well. That said, one can use both a WDH and the RAS or airbags but in my opinion the WDH should be a priority.

(Note the Tundra is quite capable of handling an E21 without any augmentation, but the ride and towing experience will be better with either solutions.)
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:27 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Seems like a lot of F-150 truck owners towing an Escape 5.0TA are upgrading, is there an issue with the stock rear suspension and the 5th wheel set up. Have you measured your pin weight as well as axle weight before the upgrade?
The F150 like any other truck out there comes in numerous configurations, if you don’t get enough payload you may have issues. My truck with 1660 payload rides level and handles great. And, you can get a much higher payload with the right configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
F12766B7-E8D0-4C9E-BA58-3EC30A798E0A.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:22 PM   #26
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
You don't say if you are planning on using a Weight Distribution Hitch. For a tow behind, I think a WDH is more important that load leveling suspension solutions. A good WDH like the E2 will not only level both the trailer and the truck, but provide anti sway protection as well. That said, one can use both a WDH and the RAS or airbags but in my opinion the WDH should be a priority.
Arnie...

You are absolutely right regarding a WDH. In fact, included on our build sheet is an E2 WDH. I have 2 neighbours who had provided guidance as we considered and progressed into our build. In both instances, they use E2 WDH assemblies with their trailers, and since the option was there - we ordered it with our build.

I actually went to the RAS website to determine the cost of getting it shipped up here to Canada...with the $75 discount factored in. Cost -$75 + $150shipping + 32% exchange + whatever taxes at the border = $780-$800 delivered. Ouch.

I chose to refrain from 'ordering' today and wait to see how my Tundra functions with the existing suspension (with TRD sway bar) and WDH. Best to determine if there's a need before spending the money for something I don't really require. Too much of that in my life.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:02 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
The F150 like any other truck out there comes in numerous configurations, if you don’t get enough payload you may have issues. My truck with 1660 payload rides level and handles great. And, you can get a much higher payload with the right configuration.
Cliff, I agree payload is important but we do have members here who have towed with a Nissan Frontier. Others tow with Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. Both trucks typically have lower payloads than any F-150 but manage to perform satisfactorily, though close to their stated payload limit. I believe the Ram has coil springs rather than leaf springs as used by Ford. When I was considering an EcoDiesel, I asked if Dodge offered a “payload package” and was told no.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Arnie...

$780-$800 delivered. Ouch.

I chose to refrain from 'ordering' today and wait to see how my Tundra functions with the existing suspension (with TRD sway bar) and WDH. Best to determine if there's a need before spending the money for something I don't really require. Too much of that in my life.
Bryan,

Ouch is right! Good call. I only live about 3.5 hours from you. If you decide on the RAS later, perhaps you can come here and we install it together. After it is safe to do so of course! You know, borders open, vaccine developed, etc. Cheers!
- Bremerton, WA
Old 04-30-2020, 06:31 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Arnie...

You are absolutely right regarding a WDH. In fact, included on our build sheet is an E2 WDH. I have 2 neighbours who had provided guidance as we considered and progressed into our build. In both instances, they use E2 WDH assemblies with their trailers, and since the option was there - we ordered it with our build.

I actually went to the RAS website to determine the cost of getting it shipped up here to Canada...with the $75 discount factored in. Cost -$75 + $150shipping + 32% exchange + whatever taxes at the border = $780-$800 delivered. Ouch.

Bryan,
At that price, I would wait until the border opens up again and then make a trip to the States. Purchase it and install it while south of the border. The cost is typically around $450 to $500 US.

Shipping costs to the True North are what I would consider outrageous. I have looked at Amazon.ca and it boggles my mind how much more Canadians are charged for the exact same items. My wife’s cousin, who lives south of Sudbury, ON winters in Florida. When we visit, she and her husband often mention price differences between Canada and the US; not on everything but on many things.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:20 PM   #30

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
That's a handsome rig!

Just curious, does your 5.0TA have the high-lift axle?
Old 05-29-2020, 12:20 AM   #31
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Coil SumoSprings Custom Helper Springs???

Thank you, Arnie & Paula for starting this thread! After reading this thread, we thought, humm, maybe we should consider RAS?? We love our Expedition and plan to tow a lot in the years to come and why not enhance the suspension?! Well, I assumed up to now, that our Ford Expedition was generally, similar to the Ford F150 so I was hopeful this possibility would work....but after some research, turns out, instead of the leaf springs, we have the coil suspension system. RAS won't work for us. And so far, the only support system I can find for our 2017 Expedition is this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...ID=20175001928

These 'Coil SumoSprings Custom Helper Springs' seem reasonably priced and looks like a simple install. So I'd be interested to hear if anyone here has installed or knows about these Helper SumoSprings from etrailer.com? And if you would recommend them? or not? Thanks in advance. - Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:00 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Thank you, Arnie & Paula for starting this thread! After reading this thread, we thought, humm, maybe we should consider RAS?? We love our Expedition and plan to tow a lot in the years to come and why not enhance the suspension?! Well, I assumed up to now, that our Ford Expedition was generally, similar to the Ford F150 so I was hopeful this possibility would work....but after some research, turns out, instead of the leaf springs, we have the coil suspension system. RAS won't work for us. And so far, the only support system I can find for our 2017 Expedition is this:

These 'Coil SumoSprings Custom Helper Springs' seem reasonably priced and looks like a simple install. So I'd be interested to hear if anyone here has installed or knows about these Helper SumoSprings from etrailer.com? And if you would recommend them? or not? Thanks in advance. - Bea
Bea,
The Ram 1500 trucks also have coil rear springs and I have installed Firestone airbags inside both my 2009 and 2014 Ram rear end to keep the rear from sagging too low while towing. I use maybe 20-25 psi and it keeps the the rear firmer while hooked up. Easy to self install and pump up.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:02 PM   #33
Bea

Quote:
Bea,
The Ram 1500 trucks also have coil rear springs and I have installed Firestone airbags inside both my 2009 and 2014 Ram rear end to keep the rear from sagging too low while towing. I use maybe 20-25 psi and it keeps the the rear firmer while hooked up. Easy to self install and pump up.
Thanks Jim, appreciate this! But unfortunately Firestone airbags only fit on Expedtions up to 2002 and won't fit on our 2017. Haven't been able to find other airbags and even our local 4x4 shop wasn't able to give me a good airbag solution (that didn't cost thousands)... but they have installed the helper sumo springs 'many times' and gave me a on them so that may be he way to go for now. Just wondered if anyone else here had tried them. Thanks again! -Bea
Old 05-29-2020, 12:10 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post

Bea,

Yes, RAS only works with leaf springs. Sorry you got your hopes up.

I can't speak to this particular application, but I did have SumoSprings on my prior 2016 Tacoma. Now the Tacoma also has leaf springs so it is not a direct comparison to what you are wanting to do. But I found them to work as well and were more convenient than the Firestone Airbags I had on the truck before that, a 2014 Tacoma. So I can vouch for SumoSpings as a product, but again, do not have direct experience with the coil spring application.

Good luck!
- Bremerton, WA
Old 05-29-2020, 12:42 PM   #35
Bea

Quote:
Bea,

Yes, RAS only works with leaf springs. Sorry you got your hopes up.

I can't speak to this particular application, but I did have SumoSprings on my prior 2016 Tacoma. Now the Tacoma also has leaf springs so it is not a direct comparison to what you are wanting to do. But I found them to work as well and were more convenient than the Firestone Airbags I had on the truck before that, a 2014 Tacoma. So I can vouch for SumoSpings as a product, but again, do not have direct experience with the coil spring application.

Good luck!
Nice to hear! I so enjoy learning all these things and really appreciate your feedback. Thank you! -Bea