Adjusting brake controller and towing mirrors - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2016, 12:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Adjusting brake controller and towing mirrors

I have my brake controller installed and working. I followed the instructions for it (25 mph, use manual and if it locks up, lower it, if not enough, raise it) and have it braking effectively. But I never locked the brakes though I think on the highest setting it made my antilock brakes on the car kick in. Am I good or should I go to just lower than locking (which would mean I have to let them lock up?) It braked fine on a steep hill on my test drive. I was not sure I wanted to slam on the brakes to see what would happen so I didn't.

Second, I put on Aero mirrors as first test drive showed me I wasn't seeing far enough behind the trailer. I sort of got the right one adjusted okay but what I thought was okay on the driver's side wasn't showing me much. Are there any hints to getting the right adjustment on towing mirrors? I've never used them before and could see through the Campster while towing so that was even easier. These stick out about a foot past the vehicle mirrors but I just haven't figured out the right angle for seeing the lane behind the trailer.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I have my brake controller installed and working. I followed the instructions for it (25 mph, use manual and if it locks up, lower it, if not enough, raise it) and have it braking effectively. But I never locked the brakes though I think on the highest setting it made my antilock brakes on the car kick in. Am I good or should I go to just lower than locking (which would mean I have to let them lock up?) It braked fine on a steep hill on my test drive. I was not sure I wanted to slam on the brakes to see what would happen so I didn't.

Second, I put on Aero mirrors as first test drive showed me I wasn't seeing far enough behind the trailer. I sort of got the right one adjusted okay but what I thought was okay on the driver's side wasn't showing me much. Are there any hints to getting the right adjustment on towing mirrors? I've never used them before and could see through the Campster while towing so that was even easier. These stick out about a foot past the vehicle mirrors but I just haven't figured out the right angle for seeing the lane behind the trailer.
Your brakes may never lock up unless you panic stop. Those directions are sometimes confusing. Make smooth stops and adjust them so they are balanced and the trailer is not stopping the TV and the TV is not being pushed by the trailer. When you come to a stop it should be smooth and not jerk you as it completes the stop. You will get the feel after a short distance. If its a prodigy which the directions sound like start off around #6.

Edited
Old 10-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Your brakes may never lock up unless you panic stop. Those directions are sometimes confusing. Making smooth stops adjust them so they are balanced and the trailer is not stopping the car and the car is not being pushed by the trailer. When you come to a stop it should be smooth and not jerk you as it completes the stop. You will get the feel after a short distance.
Great, I think I have that, then. I couldn't tell the trailer was back there when I was braking.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Grand aeros

Since I don't know how you mounted your mirrors, I'll add this. When we got ours, I mountrd them with the long dimension vertically. I ran them this way about a year. I was ok with that but thought it could be better. So I rotated them so the long way was horizontal with the short dimension of that horizontal being on top. I also slid the bar a little farther out, if that makes sense. We use them on a Highlander and I'm happy now, couldn't be better. It's easy enough to adjust them, you have to do a little experimentation, is what I found.
Good Luck, Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:20 PM   #5

Thanks, I'll try that. I have them vertically now but I had thought maybe to switch. I am parked along the street right now so I should be able to adjust the driver's side with a good view behind me before trying again.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
I agree with Tom, but also found that if I did the test on a dirt road I could get the brakes dialed in perfectly. When stopping I always wanted to feel the the tow vehicle be pulled back ever so slightly by the trailer brakes, but just a little. Overall you want the tow vehicle and trailer stopping as one unit and not independently of each other.

No better experience then time behind the wheel with the trailer in tow, practice, practice, practice. Nothing wrong going campground on weekends that are close to home to gain experience, this will also help you in dialing in your tow mirrors. What works for someone else may not work for you.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:29 PM   #7

Yes, that's the plan. I got the brake controller Tuesday but Tuesday afternoon was very windy and yesterday it poured rain all day so today was my first day to try out the brake controller and mirrors. Next is the highway test, then hopefully next week an overnight at Fort Casey State Park.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
I am ordering a 17B due in March 2017. I have a 1997 Ford F250 Super Duty as the tug. It has a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller already. It "appears" the controller is from 1997 and was the original. I am thinking I should replace it given it's age? Nothing stops like having brakes that work.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The Prodigy P3 is the top of the line last I knew. Don't know if you can get a ready made harness for a 97 though.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #10

Road test a success* except when I brake to a stop (not just regular braking) the brakes seem to pulse. Are the trailer brakes triggering my anti-lock brakes somehow? I lowered the braking on the controller and it helps and seems to still brake just fine.

*I even found two more Escapes.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Road test a success* except when I brake to a stop (not just regular braking) the brakes seem to pulse. Are the trailer brakes triggering my anti-lock brakes somehow? I lowered the braking on the controller and it helps and seems to still brake just fine.

*I even found two more Escapes.
I would not think so as the anti-lock is controlled by a sensor on the wheels. Go somewhere where you can safely play with it and lower the controller until you can feel the trailer pushing you some then start raising it back up a little at a time.

A 15' trailer will not require a lot of brake power.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:00 PM   #12

I couldn't even feel the trailer pushing with no brakes. But I think I'll lower the setting a bit more and see if the stop is smoother.

I did get the mirrors just about right. I just have to get used to looking at the right set of mirrors. And they helped a lot with backing into my driveway (or maybe I'm just getting the hang of it) as it only took one try this time.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
I am ordering a 17B due in March 2017. I have a 1997 Ford F250 Super Duty as the tug. It has a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller already. It "appears" the controller is from 1997 and was the original. I am thinking I should replace it given it's age? Nothing stops like having brakes that work.
I wouldn't be concerned about the age. The most important thing is to use a proportional controller... and the Voyager is proportional. It's even still in production. The main reason that I would consider a replacement (not urgently at all) is that the Voyager uses a pendulum to sense deceleration, so it needs to be adjusted whenever the mounting angle is changed; more modern controllers use accelerometers (like those in smartphones that determine the angle of tilt), and don't need adjustment. The "new" ones should also be more responsive and smooth.

The Voyager doesn't have a socket on the back; it has a permanently attached pigtail of wires. The pigtail ends in a connector, and eTrailer says
Quote:
Plug-in, vehicle-specific brake-control adapter can be used for certain applications to reduce installation time
... so some plug-in harnesses are available. It looks like the connector on the end of the pigtail is the same as the socket on newer Tekonsha controllers, and indeed according to eTrailer the same adapters work for the Voyager and the Prodigy.

In 1997 Ford made trucks called "F-250" in both the new-for-1997 lighter-duty style (like an F-150), and the heavier-duty style (like an F-350, and the same as 1996). eTrailer shows a vehicle-specific plug-in harness for the Prodigy and Voyager (3035-P)... fortunately the same one for all F-250 versions around that time, and most other Fords for over a decade.

If the existing Voyager is plugged in (not hardwired), a Prodigy would plug into the same connector (if the wires are long enough to reach the mounting location).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:56 PM   #14

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
I have a Highlander and Aero mirrors. I find I don't need to extend them out much to see. If I extend them out too much the mirrors vibrate more so I move them out enough to see well but no further.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Thanks Brian B-P! I believe I'm going to get a new one just for the reasons you suggested. Newer technology and less hassle setting it up.

I can't remember if the Tekonsha Voyager controller was hard wired or if it had a plug to the unit itself. It is hardwired into the truck harness. Guess if all else fails I can get the wiring that goes with it and cut out the Voyager and rewire in the Prodigy.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
I have a Highlander and Aero mirrors. I find I don't need to extend them out much to see. If I extend them out too much the mirrors vibrate more so I move them out enough to see well but no further.
I ended up with the passenger side mirror out a little farther but still with less of a view (I guess that's normal). They do a good job and didn't seem to vibrate much but I rechecked the thumb screws after the first few miles. I guess that's a job to add to the walk-around checklist.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:39 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I ended up with the passenger side mirror out a little farther but still with less of a view
I don't understand how this could be. What is the shape of the Aero Mirrors you have?
Mine are the Grand Aero. They are rectangular, not teardrop shape. Both driver and passenger side improve the view for a long way behind the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand Aero 1.jpg   Grand Aero 2.jpg  
Old 10-27-2016, 11:45 PM   #18

Quote:
I ended up with the passenger side mirror out a little farther but still with less of a view (I guess that's normal).
If you mean that you have a narrower field of view, that is normal if both mirrors are flat (not convex), because the passenger side mirror is further from you and so occupies a smaller part of your field of view. That's why passenger side mirrors are routinely convex (although that makes both depth judgment and seeing small detail difficult).
Old 10-27-2016, 11:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What is the shape of the Aero Mirrors you have?
Mine are the Grand Aero. They are rectangular, not teardrop shape.
The photos show something like a rounded trapezoid, not a rectangle. Still not teardrop...
Old 10-27-2016, 11:50 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Picky, picky.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 9.51.09 PM.png